PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Why have we signed Parton?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why have we signed Parton?  (Read 7450 times)

joe

« on: August 23, 2014, 10:18:42 PM »

It is plainly obvious that this  is one season too far for Altrincham legend Stuart Coburn so why have we signed Dave Parton if he's just going to sit on the subs bench at best? If he's not good enough to play then we need to sign a keeper that is before the window shuts!

Jezza

Re: Why have we signed Parton?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 10:26:52 PM »

presumably as competent cover for the best keeper at our at our disposal....next question.....

For me Stuart is still one of the best if not the best shot stoppers.....shame he cant come racing off his line like he used to but maybe it's the defence and midfield's turn to defend a bit.....can't rely on stu or any other keeper to be an extra centre half at this level

Jimmy

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 10:33:57 PM »

Stuart is a legend the best keeper iv seen here in 30 years but Sadly is he up to it at this level now I'm not to sure

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 11:59:23 PM »

I believe that Stuart is honest and honorable enough that if he doesn't think he can cut it anymore he will say so.

Some of the saves already this season have been magnificent.

On a side note I find it "amusing" that after every result which doesn't go our way we have to identify one or  more scapegoats

Wasn't there today so cannot comment but surely over the past umpteen years we have lost fair and square to a better side without it being down to one or more poor performances from players or match officials.

Every time we concede it seems to be down to "a blunder" or "catatstrophic defending", maybe poor selection, maybe poor substitution(s) and sometimes poor officiating

It is possible to be beaten by a better team, it is possible to concede an excellent goal which even the tightest defence in the Premier League would have conceded...ther is no shame in it

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 12:13:53 AM »

But today we weren't beaten bye a better team , both teams were bad , stu has been a brilliant keeper and still makes important saves , but he now shows signs of hesitanty , Marshall expected him to come for ball and he didn't , looked like let soft header through his hands for second  , maybe time for Parton to take over , I know he Young but Lloyd Weston only 22 .

GB Alty

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 09:02:09 AM »

I believe that Stuart is honest and honorable enough that if he doesn't think he can cut it anymore he will say so.

On a side note I find it "amusing" that after every result which doesn't go our way we have to identify one or  more scapegoats

Wasn't there today so cannot comment but surely over the past umpteen years we have lost fair and square to a better side without it being down to one or more poor performances from players or match officials.

Every time we concede it seems to be down to "a blunder" or "catatstrophic defending", maybe poor selection, maybe poor substitution(s) and sometimes poor officiating

It is possible to be beaten by a better team, it is possible to concede an excellent goal which even the tightest defence in the Premier League would have conceded...ther is no shame in it
if Southport are a better team (your quote) - we have real problems!!

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 06:24:17 PM »

Where precisely Jamie do I say that Southport are a better side?

The better side quote which you are conveniently misapplying relates to the fourth  paragraph onward (There is a clue there as it appears AFTER the first three paragraphs)

I await your advice on this matter

bumble

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 06:37:59 PM »

Aldershot were better than us. We said that. But defensive errors still cost us

Lincoln were better than us. We said that. But defensive errors cost us

Southport were worse than us. But several errors cost us.

Goals come from either good play or mistakes. We scored ourself due to a mistake yesterday.

Too many goals are coming from.mistakes rather than decent play.

Anyway absolutely no point in Parton being here to warm the stands. Get him on loan or allow him to challenge.  Because if ain't playing what happens when we do need him???
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 06:40:04 PM by Jack Jolly »

Jimmy

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 07:18:06 PM »

Where precisely Jamie do I say that Southport are a better side?

The better side quote which you are conveniently misapplying relates to the fourth  paragraph onward (There is a clue there as it appears AFTER the first three paragraphs)

I await your advice on this matter
With you making the comment after a defeat to southport it's an easy mistake to make

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 08:29:03 PM »

Coburn has had significant problems on crosses and commanding his area for about three seasons now.

He still makes good saves but he's not the asset he once was.

The rest of your post isn't really pertinent to the discussion.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Jezza

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 09:45:41 PM »

I actually agree with ATS on a lot of his reply.......I feel this gives hope to peace in the middle east.....

So Stuart has had problems with crosses for the last three years??......I'd say we have had severe defensive problems for the last 3 years and stu has saved us time and time again and what we and stu really need is a stable and decisive defence to protect the poor bloke stood behind who possibly understandably doesn't know wether to come for a cross or not by now......

be careful what you wish for.....we have had some clowns in nets who are commanding one minute and almost throwing the ball into the net the next......and any 2nd keeper is going to be warming the bench so that is an odd argument.

Maybe the answer is in training and coaching.......be interested in ian senior's view on this thread

I think Stu deserves a little more respect than just coming out and saying he is past it.....nothing wrong with his position being challenged or suggesting a bit of coaching......but any keeper reads this forum and they're bound to become jittery...... particularly behind our defence
...and how old is stu?...

anyway if stu is reading this, me and ATS are behind you!! ;D ;D ;D

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 07:07:28 AM »

That goes for me too, Stu

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 08:51:22 AM »

To be honest, these problems can be solved in training by the defence/keeper just developing a better understanding with one-another. I don't think it is anything to do with abilities or otherwise. I just feel the communication between players needs to improve a little.

We are now in a higher league where the whole style of play has to change, and are learning all the time. This is not the Conference North where often mistakes were not capitalised on, the is the Vanarama Conference National, where any mistake more often leads to a goal. Alty's players will learn lessons, but it is early days yet, and there are still lessons to be learned; and we will concede goals in the future. we will also score them and beat some teams and lose to others. Picking on players will not help at all, the team are more than capable of sustaining themselves in this league, but they will not adapt fully until late September/October.

They are in a learning curve and I am not too worried at present. They have the makings of a very good side who play a lovely style of football, we are also seeing games at a higher level, and of a much better standard than last season. Let's be patient and it least give the team a chance to prove themselves. I feel we are better getting behind them, and picking on individual players will not help at all. They were unlucky to concede in the last minute, but they have now learnt from it.

All come together today, and apply what we have learnt from now and ongoing, I don't think it will be too long before our results improve. 

Jimmy

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 09:44:37 AM »

Whats missing seems to befron the original post Stuart has not started the season well but his form and understanding with the centre halfs should get better but if he is out of form Parton should be ready to come in just like if a outfield player is out of form
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:16:05 AM by Jimmy »

ALTYGAL

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 02:40:25 PM »

Starts
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team