News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Would we want one???

Author Topic: Would we want one???  (Read 3784 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Would we want one???
« on: February 16, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »

I'm not a massive fan, but could hiring it out every evening bring in money and mean we lost no more fixtures to the weather ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17064905

Robin Reliant

Re: Would we want one???
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 05:38:29 PM »

Think that at our level,it would be a great asset.

Would maybe cause problems if everyone doesn't change,but knowing the FA,it will take so long to implement that we'll be too high up the pyramid for it to affect us  ;)

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 05:39:14 PM »

Blessed Thomas Halford have a 3G pitch which the local community have access to hire the pitches on weeknights and weekends.

Could we compete wth that if we were to change our surface?  Must admit the artificial pitches have come a long way since the Oldham/Luton/QPR days...

Robin Reliant

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 05:48:14 PM »

Blessed Thomas Halford have a 3G pitch which the local community have access to hire the pitches on weeknights and weekends.

Could we compete wth that if we were to change our surface?  Must admit the artificial pitches have come a long way since the Oldham/Luton/QPR days...

Good point,hadn't thought about that....and also,we wouldn't want to lose united reserves,until their league went "artificial"

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:07:57 PM »

Good point,hadn't thought about that....and also,we wouldn't want to lose united reserves,until their league went "artificial"
There are strong rumours that United Reserves are being courted by Salford City Reds to share their new stadium. Apparently the hosts failed by some way to achieve their break-even gate figure at last week's opening fixture and are hoping to bring United's second string in as well as Sale Sharks.

If it's true, it would have a big effect on our budget.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:18:26 PM »

All good in theory on Salfords part, BUT, uniteds main interest is a quality playing surface, which they have at moss lane.The best grounds men in the world could work at the COS stadium, but they would have to work miracles to keep that pitch in good nick with rugby league, union, colts and football being Played on it. That ground is in the wrong place, it needs to be on a tram line for starters.United already have a huge pick of grounds to use from Leigh sports village to all the nonleague grounds, but opt for moss lane.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 09:47:05 PM »

There are strong rumours that United Reserves are being courted by Salford City Reds to share their new stadium. Apparently the hosts failed by some way to achieve their break-even gate figure at last week's opening fixture and are hoping to bring United's second string in as well as Sale Sharks.

If it's true, it would have a big effect on our budget.

United reserves maybe no longer as they are looking into this new under 19 europa leauge if it goes ahead Moss lane can not be used as uefa demand certain things must be in place.
@AltyDaz

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 09:53:33 PM »

United reserves maybe no longer as they are looking into this new under 19 europa leauge if it goes ahead Moss lane can not be used as uefa demand certain things must be in place.

Do we not meet the minimum European requirement for stoppers?
Come on Alty!

Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 10:46:33 PM »

I'm all for modern artificial pitches - the BTH one is the same on used in Moscow - did England play on it or was it the champs league foinal? - and the one at the Stobart Stadium, where Widnes RLFC play, is highly rated.

BUT....would United let their reserves play on it?

York Alty

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 12:24:02 AM »

Initial reaction is no, but then struggled for reasons why.

Many factors, cost, quality, likelihood of the leagues changing the rules again in five or six years time.  How much and how often can we rent it out?

I'd look further into it before deciding but the crucial factor is cost and whether that cash is better spent on attracting and retaining players.

I'm on the fence.

RocketDan

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 01:07:45 AM »

Having played a lot on both 3G and Grass:

3G pitches are very good for 5aside, where there is a lot of short passing along the ground in a confined space due to the generic, even roll of the ball and the clean nature of the surface.

I would always have grass pitches for 11-aside, partly because i think they are safer with regards to the physical aspect of the game such as slide tackling (i'm thinking of the guy who broke his leg in a friendly at woodley last season). I also think the bounce is better on grass, especially when you consider long, high balls (but i guess than depends on the ball and the solidity of the undersoil).

York Alty

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 01:50:01 AM »

Having played a lot on both 3G and Grass:

3G pitches are very good for 5aside, where there is a lot of short passing along the ground in a confined space due to the generic, even roll of the ball and the clean nature of the surface.

I would always have grass pitches for 11-aside, partly because i think they are safer with regards to the physical aspect of the game such as slide tackling (i'm thinking of the guy who broke his leg in a friendly at woodley last season). I also think the bounce is better on grass, especially when you consider long, high balls (but i guess than depends on the ball and the solidity of the undersoil).

Those two elements in bold are the two critical features under the "quality" banner.  The first generation of these were awful on both counts, QPR had to put sand on top to try and deaden it a bit.  I appreciate that things have moved on a hell of a long way since then.

One small point, a plastic pitch wouldn't guarantee a game is on as they can be called off for other weather related reasons (unsafe terraces etc).

I'm still on the bloomin' fence...

decman7

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 09:30:16 PM »

I love the way there called "all weather pitches" but they can still be called off!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Would we want one???