News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Friday football

Author Topic: Friday football  (Read 3429 times)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Friday football
« on: March 25, 2013, 09:28:14 AM »

I know until the early 70s we oft played on Good Friday but I think the only time I've ever seen us play on a Friday before was much more recent.

Colchester United at home in 91-92, I believe it was Friday night for the TV and we lost 2-1. That was one depressing season after the immortal stuff of the year before. Anyone else remember this match?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Friday football
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 09:40:29 AM »

I remember it, we have played on a Friday since though, a 1-1 or 0-0 draw against Blyth Spartans, and Blyth celebrated the point like they'd won the league.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 09:42:08 AM »

Also, as was discussed around the time of the cup matches this season, we played at Burton on a Friday a few years ago - the Daryl Clare double game...

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 09:55:35 AM »

Yes that's correct a 1-2 defeat with a late burton winner

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 10:49:49 AM »

I know until the early 70s we oft played on Good Friday but I think the only time I've ever seen us play on a Friday before was much more recent.

Colchester United at home in 91-92, I believe it was Friday night for the TV and we lost 2-1. That was one depressing season after the immortal stuff of the year before. Anyone else remember this match?

That Colchester United game at Moss Lane in the GM Vauxhall Conference took place on Friday, 28th February 1992 and was broadcast on the Sportscast channel.

Two weeks later, on Friday, 13th March 1992, we lost 1-0 at home to Vics in a match which was scheduled to be broadcast by Sportscast...but eventually wasn't!

The final match of the 2001/02 Unibond League season was also staged on a Friday evening, for reasons which escape me.

That one comprised a 1-0 home defeat against Vauxhall Motors in front of merely 472 spectators.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 10:55:04 AM »

I remember it, we have played on a Friday since though, a 1-1 or 0-0 draw against Blyth Spartans, and Blyth celebrated the point like they'd won the league.

I suspect that you are thinking of a 0-0 draw at Moss Lane against the dreaded Bishop Auckland in the Unibond League on Friday, 26th March 1999 during our promotion season.

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:58:31 AM »

I seem to remember that way back when, Stockport used to play on Friday nights, presumably to avoid clashing with Utd or City and hence get better gates.

Was it Torquay as well that used to kick off home games at something like 6:30 on Saturday evenings, how that can have encouraged support I don't know and as for the away fans.....
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 11:00:53 AM »

I'm currently writing an article about the last occasion on which Alty played on a Good Friday for potential inclusion in the Robins Review for the Vauxhall Motors game on Good Friday, 29th March 2013.

The match in question actually happened to feature quite an interesting Altrincham FC milestone.

Read all about it on Friday....!

Robin Reliant

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 05:11:56 PM »

I'm currently writing an article about the last occasion on which Alty played on a Good Friday for potential inclusion in the Robins Review for the Vauxhall Motors game on Good Friday, 29th March 2013.

The match in question actually happened to feature quite an interesting Altrincham FC milestone.

Read all about it on Friday....!

The Cult joins the Teasers!! :o

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 10:42:37 PM »

Yes that's correct a 1-2 defeat with a late burton winner

A late Burton winner? Never...

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 01:57:01 PM »

Have I ever mentiond I travelled from London to Worcester on a Friday for a 4-3 defeat before a 2-0 win at Trowbridge on the Saturday, with Alty playing monday, wednesday, thursday, friday, saturday that week.  And the only game I missed was away Barrow?  Oh, I have.  Sorry

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »

I remember that game being televised live. It was the season after the 90-91 I think, not long before kingy had a bustup with the board and resigned leading to a pitch demonstration by our fans. I also remember Kenny McKenna netted the goal from a corner at the chequers end, with a nearpost header. John King also got involved with some banter with away fans I also remember.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Friday football