PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty on Setanta??
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alty on Setanta??  (Read 4116 times)

Longman

Alty on Setanta??
« on: March 25, 2008, 04:25:51 PM »

Does anyone know when Setanta are going to announce the next batch of fixtures they will be showing?

Anyone know if we're due some live coverage!  We've only been on twice!  :-\

Alty365

Re: Alty on Setanta??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 04:43:34 PM »

I reckon we've had all the live games we're going to get now. Tonight is only Northwich's second live appearance and I wouldn't expect they will get any more either.

Longman

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 05:12:39 PM »

We've had sod all haven't we!  >:(

Thing is surely it would be more exicting for the neutral watching the teams embroiled in a relegation scrap towards the end of the season, rather than some middle of the table nothing game, however they will more than likely just sway towards showing more top of the table games,  :(

bighairedmike

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 05:27:13 PM »

Alty V Weymouth last game of the season. Surely people would watch that, especially if it comes down to a relegation showdown (which i suspect it might ;))

Alty366

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 06:08:04 PM »

agreed this would be the best game, but surely no game will be shown on the last day due to all games having to kick off at the same time?

Dougals Dad

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 06:21:02 PM »

Thing is surely it would be more exicting for the neutral watching the teams embroiled in a relegation scrap towards the end of the season, rather than some middle of the table nothing game, however they will more than likely just sway towards showing more top of the table games,  :(

Setanta rely on income from advertising, therefore they need the maximum viewers possible, therefore they broadcast the big, better supported club.

bighairedmike

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 06:23:47 PM »

agreed this would be the best game, but surely no game will be shown on the last day due to all games having to kick off at the same time?

Why do all games have to kick off at the same time on the last day but not every other day?

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 06:35:26 PM »

Come on BHM, I know that you really know the answer to this.................but for those that don't, then I am fairly certain that all the last matches must be played coincidently so that no team has an advantage by knowing the final scores of others.
Applies to the top and bottom.

For example, if Alty v Weymouth was an evening match, then Alty (or Weymouth) would know what they 'had to do' to stay up. As it stands with everyone kicking off at the same time, then you never know until the final whistle goes.

Remember last season, going into the game, then I think any one of four teams could have 'got' the remaining relegation spot up to the final whistle. If we had scored in the 94th minute, then somebody else would have gone down. If we had played in the morning, then the others would know we were relegated and would approach the game in a tactically different way.

When we played at Hucknall in BSN, we knew that Southport were leading Harrogate 5-0 at half time. Hence we were fairly certain we were in the play-offs, albeit it was not certain because Harrogate may have scored 6 !
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 08:41:22 PM »

have we got an updated table of Sentanta clubs shown this season like the last one that showed us joint bottom with Crawley ?

RocketDan

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 08:45:46 PM »

Why do all games have to kick off at the same time on the last day but not every other day?

if we both needed a point to stay up it wouldn't be the best spectacle for non-league football

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 11:46:06 PM »

Setanta rely on income from advertising, therefore they need the maximum viewers possible, therefore they broadcast the big, better supported club.

In fairness though, it's not like the difference between say Man Utd and Derby, I don't think the amount of extra people you'd get watching Torquay v Stevenage would massively outstrip Alty v Halifax say?

I think the general rule re last matches all kicking off at the same time was brought in after West Germany and Austria stitched up Algeria in the 1982 World Cup. A 1-0 win for the Germans would have seen them and Austria qualify from the group, they scored (littbarski I think) after about 11 minutes. The rest of the match consisted of the German defence passing back to their keeper while the Austrians  just stood in their own half watching.

In the great schem of things regarding the Germans and the Austrians colluding with each other though it was fairly minor!!   ;D

AlexGulls

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 12:35:09 PM »

Your one of the lucky few then. Because of them between December and February 8th we didnt have a home game on a Saturday.

I would happily swap having the amount weve had for two games a season.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 12:47:44 PM »

Your one of the lucky few then. Because of them between December and February 8th we didnt have a home game on a Saturday.

As I recall, you could have had a home game on a Sunday in December.....but didn't fancy playing it for some obscure reason!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

DarrenH

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 01:45:51 PM »

Don't think the fact that we have only been on twice is particularly a bad thing.
Yes we don't get the revenue but from memory the consensus was that Thursday evening games were a pain in the ass to most people.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »

As I recall, you could have had a home game on a Sunday Saturday in December.....but didn't fancy playing it for some obscure reason!

There, I've corrected your post for you Cult.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty on Setanta??