News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Help needed for Weymouth!

Author Topic: Help needed for Weymouth!  (Read 6906 times)

Longman

« on: March 23, 2008, 04:58:57 PM »

Help,

I'm trying to book my train to Weymouth, going Friday morning returning Sunday morning / afternoon from Manc but the cheapest ticket I can find is a 98 pound return!  Anyone know of anything cheaper??

Any help greatly appreciated, cheers!

Butty

Re: Help needed for Weymouth!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 05:13:34 PM »

Is the coach much of an inconvenience?

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 06:06:50 PM »

Try splitting your journey, it's usually cheaper. ie Piccadilly-Birmingham-Weymouth or Piccadiily to somewhere further south then Weymouth or do as Gary mentioned in another thread on other board and get a free family railcard and take a nipper with you, might be cheaper

www.nationalrail.co.uk

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 06:09:47 PM »

Or as mentioned above, the coach ! ;D

shelmers

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 06:33:23 PM »

possibilty of cycling there would be much cheaper but may have set set off tomorrow!

Hamilton

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 06:44:44 PM »

possibilty of cycling there would be much cheaper but may have set set off tomorrow!

It will take longer to cycle back as its up-hill!!

Ian J

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:23:30 AM »

Sunday is a notoriously expensive day to travel by train. If you can possibly stay an extra night it may be better to come back on the Monday (although you have to pay for another nights accommodation).

Alty365

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 11:14:39 AM »

Is the coach much of an inconvenience?

Given that he wants to stay over for two nights it would be a total inconvenience.

Longman

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 10:04:42 AM »

Cheers, looks like I may drive down!

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 10:06:05 AM »

Well you can fly out from Manchester on Friday morning to Exeter, coming back Sunday afternoon for £72.98 with www.Flybe.com - quite a bit quicker than car or train but a hefty transfer from Exeter to Weymouth by taxi - can be done by bus if you look on www.transportdirect.com

There's also National Express direct to Weymouth and back on both mornings for £57 return but it takes eight and a half hours   :)
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 10:10:54 AM »

Exeter airport is a lovely drive,but well over an hour by car.

DarrenH

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 10:33:47 AM »

Probably as cheap th fly down and hire a car for the weekend.
You'll prrobably be able to get a hire car for the 3 days for less than about £70.

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 12:00:22 PM »

Unfortunately for me it's my mum's 60th so I'll be at home  :'(
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 01:45:38 PM »

Help,

I'm trying to book my train to Weymouth, going Friday morning returning Sunday morning / afternoon from Manc but the cheapest ticket I can find is a 98 pound return!  Anyone know of anything cheaper??

Ive tried looking for train prices earlier, when i booked my trip down south. The cheapest i could find was £70, and has risen to over £95 now. Problem is that network rail are still doing engineering works all over the place, so it’s really difficult to get decent trains and prices.  If you’re going down on Friday try: http://www.mobitix.thetrainline.com/vt/advancePurchase.aspx
which will get a cheap ticket to London for £9, but these aren’t available on Sunday for your return. From London, you can get the megatrain (www.megatrain.com) from London to Weymouth for about £10, but again these cheap tickets aren’t available on Sunday.
Unfortunately, the tickets coming back on Sunday are at a ludicrous price.

However due to having a sh*te job at present, i can only go down on saturday and return sunday. I fly from Manc to Southampton, and get the train to Weymouth it cost about £80 for the lot. The flight takes just over an hour. However these flights alone cost £120 now.

Good luck.

Longman

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 11:12:48 PM »

Help,

Ive tried looking for train prices earlier, when i booked my trip down south. The cheapest i could find was £70, and has risen to over £95 now. Problem is that network rail are still doing engineering works all over the place, so it’s really difficult to get decent trains and prices.  If you’re going down on Friday try: http://www.mobitix.thetrainline.com/vt/advancePurchase.aspx
which will get a cheap ticket to London for £9, but these aren’t available on Sunday for your return. From London, you can get the megatrain (www.megatrain.com) from London to Weymouth for about £10, but again these cheap tickets aren’t available on Sunday.
Unfortunately, the tickets coming back on Sunday are at a ludicrous price.

However due to having a sh*te job at present, i can only go down on saturday and return sunday. I fly from Manc to Southampton, and get the train to Weymouth it cost about £80 for the lot. The flight takes just over an hour. However these flights alone cost £120 now.

Good luck.

Cheers for the help mate, it won't let me book tickets for the Monday coming back yet, I'm presuming it's too far in advance!??  However if I can get a cheap ticket for the Monday then looks like I can work out a return journey for around 35/40 quid!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team