News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Heathcote: 'I would step down'

Author Topic: Heathcote: 'I would step down'  (Read 3038 times)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:22:51 PM »

By Connor Murphy
Comment | Read Comments (3)
ALTY boss Graham Heathcote insists he would step aside if his board decided to pursue a different direction at the club.

Heathcote has come under increased pressure in recent week after a string of disappointing results thrust his side into the relegation zone.

Weymouth's draw at Northwich on Tuesday saw them leapfrog Alty into 20th place on goal difference.

Some fans have called for a change at the top and Heathcote said he would be happy to resign as manager if the Robins' directors thought it would be in the club's best interests.

He told SAM Sport: "I'm not afraid to be told my time's up and if that's what the board wanted then I would be happy with that.

"I like to give people all the options available and that's what I did on Monday when I met the chairman.

"I don't want people to think I'm just sat here while the team are struggling for a third year running doing absolutely nothing. I've gone to the board and told them the possibilities.

"At the end of the season we'll do the same again, I'll sit down with the board and we'll analyse where this football club is going and what needs to be done.

“It won’t be lack of passion from the management, board or fans that will take the club down but we need the same from the players."
Graham Heathcote

"But the board want me to continue so, for the moment, I'm trying to put this all aside and focus on the eight games left.

"I would ask fans to put aside any feelings about me and put any adrenaline they have and any passion they have into the remaining eight games of football to help these lads keep us in the division."

After back-to-back league defeats, Heathcote is calling on his players to show the passion required to come out on top in the relegation battle.

The Robins manager has no doubts about his squad's ability but believes they need to show more fight as the teams at the bottom begin a desperate scrap to stay in the Blue Square Premier.

"It's difficult for the players because a lot of them have only been together for less than a season," he added.

"We don't have the likes of Mark Maddox, Gary Talbot and Chris Adams at the club any more, guys who would give their all for the club. It's been a massive transition over the past year.

"It won't be lack of passion from the management, board or fans that will take the club down but we need the same from the players.

"Everyone needs to give their all to try and keep us in this league.

"You can go to Torquay and get a result but it means nothing if you go to Grays and play like we did first half.

"We need to be much more consistent."

Heathcote also joined his chairman Geoff Goodwin in hitting out at the owners who put their club's future at risk in the pursuit of short-term success.

"In football and in our league over the past three or four years there have been clubs gaining false positions on the back of over-spending," he added.

"More and more clubs are going into administration and it doesn't seem right.

"You can have a better football team but the day might come when you can lose your club.

"We will continue as we are and keep turning a profit every year but nothing is being done about this situation."

2:28pm today

@AltyDaz

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Heathcote: 'I would step down'
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:31:25 PM »

GH is spot on, it is down to the players to shoe there metal.

Lets hope they are up for it on Saturday.

VofD

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 09:53:23 PM »

Yes, I agreeit is down to the players. But why doesn't GH shut T.F.U. and let the players get onwith it.

Hamilton

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:54:05 PM »

Yes, I agreeit is down to the players. But why doesn't GH shut T.F.U. and let the players get onwith it.

Because he's the manager

Butty

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 09:55:01 PM »

In relation to the title of this thread
Heathcote: I would step down.
The Board: No you will not.

VofD

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 09:59:13 PM »

And do the players need minute by minute orders as to what to do with the ball. ::) ::)

Because he's the manager

flaggerN

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 10:35:31 PM »

To VofD          Would you be happy if we stay up or get relegated or is the the sacking of GH more important.

Altyant

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 10:47:34 PM »

To VofD          Would you be happy if we stay up or get relegated or is the the sacking of GH more important.

I dont think he will be happy until GH is sacked regardless of whatever league we're in

James Black

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 10:53:19 PM »

why doesn't Heathcote just go. He keeps coming out saying he'll step down so why doesn't he. By saying he will step down but doesn't leaves the players unsure of the managerial status at the club and at this point in the season why come out with this. The players need confidence not uncertainty.

Longman

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 11:24:56 PM »

why doesn't Heathcote just go. He keeps coming out saying he'll step down so why doesn't he. By saying he will step down but doesn't leaves the players unsure of the managerial status at the club and at this point in the season why come out with this. The players need confidence not uncertainty.

This is a very good point.

joe

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 03:21:34 PM »

He only offers to step down because he knows as well as the rest of us that he's got the safest job in football so the board will never accept his offer.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 03:24:25 PM »

The above post is quite clearly not by James Black.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

VofD

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 04:21:43 PM »

I dont think he will be happy until GH is sacked regardless of whatever league we're in

Staying up will always take priority. The club's status is more important than the manager, although at times it appears that it is the other way round. >:( >:(
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team