PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Following on from Tamworth fans...
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Following on from Tamworth fans...  (Read 5419 times)

RedWhiteRedWhite

« on: January 20, 2011, 10:54:40 AM »

...I didnt go to Tamworth, but have read the posts in their entirety, so get the general idea of everyone's thoughts.

But in contrast to all of that...how fantastic were the Leeds fans last night?

I grew up watching Man United, in an era of "We all hate Leeds", David Batty etc etc...and never thought i'd see the day when I thought they were ace. But last night the team flogged their guts out and the fans never shut up for 90 minutes. ("One Simon Grayson" 3-1 down in the 92nd minute FFS!)

38,000+ on a cold Wednesday night, when the game is being shown on ITV as well. Great stuff.

York Alty

Re: Following on from Tamworth fans...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:03:58 AM »

agree that Leeds fans were good last night. when they get going they're a noisy lot that create a corking atmosphere.  used to go to ER a few times when i lived in Leeds.

The outstanding support i recall was west ham in an 1991 FA cup semi final at villa park - 4-0 down to Forest but the hammers totally outsang forest from start to finish.  Outstanding support.

fuertes

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:12:43 AM »

Frankly, I'd expect a big crowd in a one-club city with Arsenal being the visitors. That said, those that were there did make a decent noise.

I've just never liked Leeds United. At regular intervals someone awful seems to get involved with the club, meaning I can never quite get over my irrational dislike of them. At the moment it's Ken Bates. I also find the bragging about their away support a bit pathetic considering they've got swathes of glory-hunters all over the country as a hangover from the 70s and 90s. It'd be like Manchester United claiming they'd done brilliantly to take loads to Southampton - there are bloody loads of fans living darn sarf.

RedWhiteRedWhite

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:39:10 AM »

It'd be like Manchester United claiming they'd done brilliantly to take loads to Southampton - there are bloody loads of fans living darn sarf.

Oh come on...this is the most boring argument in the history of football.

Support / affection / interest is directly affected by exposure to a given subject. Man United have had 20 years of global exposure - thanks to success at the time of the inception of the internet / mobile tv / sky tv etc etc - it's no surprise they have fans everywhere - including down south. (Just like you see people wandering round Alty town centre in Chelsea shirts - also succesful and enjoying lots of exposure - on a Saturday afternoon.)

Your point about taking away fans to Southampton (or down south) is equally naive. It's common knowledge that United's away allocation is given on a priority basis to repeat purchasers - like the "caps" system The FA use - and it is notoriously difficult to break into this bunch...the same people always apply, are always selected based on their loyalty and have been going for years. So unless your average Southampton resident has been to pretty much every home and away United game - including Europe - for about the last 10 years, you won't see any glory hunters in the away end in a few weeks time.

Narcissist

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 11:53:17 AM »

It'd be like Manchester United claiming they'd done brilliantly to take loads to Southampton - there are bloody loads of fans living darn sarf.

Support / affection / interest is directly affected by exposure to a given subject. Man United have had 20 years of global exposure - thanks to success at the time of the inception of the internet / mobile tv / sky tv etc etc - it's no surprise they have fans everywhere - including down south. (Just like you see people wandering round Alty town centre in Chelsea shirts - also succesful and enjoying lots of exposure - on a Saturday afternoon.)

Your point about taking away fans to Southampton (or down south) is equally naive. It's common knowledge that United's away allocation is given on a priority basis to repeat purchasers - like the "caps" system The FA use - and it is notoriously difficult to break into this bunch...the same people always apply, are always selected based on their loyalty and have been going for years. So unless your average Southampton resident has been to pretty much every home and away United game - including Europe - for about the last 10 years, you won't see any glory hunters in the away end in a few weeks time.

Its not that bad an arguement. Leeds fans going away cant be compared to man u because its not like theres problems with ticket allocations for away fans at all clubs? It can be compared to the away support of the rest of that league, how many they take to reading et al.

Also, thats not 100% correct for man u aways. The great man u ticket impossibility myth applies home and away, although youre correct for the majority of league games.

Leeds support was fantastic last night, but how many will pitch up week in week out. I find that a bit bizarre because most of them clearly did when they were in the prem, but just do the big games now. Newcastle also spring to mind for this, everyone raving about how amazing their support is, attendances suffered a bit at the start of last season.

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:56:31 AM »

Whilst I agree with much you have written I can trump your Manchester United watching days with watching United in the days when Leeds had Bremner, Giles, Clarke etc and if you go back that far it takes a lot more to come out with a comment about actually liking Leeds !!

As for global exposure, yes United do benefit from the recent innovations of the internet, Sky. mobile ty etc but your comment is slightly wide of the mark. Even in the dark days of the early half of the 1970's when United were fighting relegation and indeed relegated they were still the best supported team in the country by a long chalk.

I didn't watch last night's match but if last year's FA Cup tie at Old Trafford is anything to go by then they probably did make a lot of noise. But anyone can join the bandwagon and turn out at either Old Trafford and Elland Road against the likes of Arsenal or Manchester United.    

Give me a cold damp Tuesday night in Tamworth watching Alty and you that's when you get the true die hards.

timbo13

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:08:35 PM »

Leeds fans? Neanderthals.

I've done a lot of awaydays over the years accompanying a wheelchair-bound relative, who's a United fan. Elland Road is the only place I ever went to where I saw trouble between the disabled fans. Two wheelchair-bounds Leeds fans and their helpers had upended a Manchester United wheelchair fan outside the ground and were pushing the footplates of their chairs into him. Beyond the pale.

Narcissist

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 12:51:23 PM »

Leeds fans? Neanderthals.

I've done a lot of awaydays over the years accompanying a wheelchair-bound relative, who's a United fan. Elland Road is the only place I ever went to where I saw trouble between the disabled fans. Two wheelchair-bounds Leeds fans and their helpers had upended a Manchester United wheelchair fan outside the ground and were pushing the footplates of their chairs into him. Beyond the pale.

Haha, that is awful. Football brings out the very best and worst in the human race

fuertes

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »

(Just like you see people wandering round Alty town centre in Chelsea shirts - also succesful and enjoying lots of exposure - on a Saturday afternoon.)

Is this true? Dear God. I haven't lived in Alty for six years, but I never thought you'd see loads of Chelsea 'fans' knocking about. Always seemed to be about 65% United, 25% City, 5% Alty, then a few random others.

That reminds me of a funny/depressing story actually. A couple of years ago I got the train to Alty for a home game, I forget who we were playing. Anyway, I nip into the newsagent on my way to the ground for a bottle of water. The bloke asks what shirt I'm wearing. "Altrincham" I reply. "Oh right...do you play for them then?"   :D  This is at 2.30pm on a Saturday. Does he really think Conference players stroll up just before kick-off then have a kick about??

Whilst it did give me a chuckle, it was also a bit depressing to see just how little exposure we get in the town.

York Alty

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 02:04:46 PM »

living next door to the monolithic Corpoate Football Clubs at old trafford and Eastlands what should people expect?  Add in Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn, Liverpool, Everton, Stoke and Blackpool all within circa 90 minutes drive then it really shoud not surprise anyone that Alty FC struggles for coverage.  In the circumstances I thnik our press folk do a great job.

fuertes

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 02:12:37 PM »

living next door to the monolithic Corpoate Football Clubs at old trafford and Eastlands what should people expect?  Add in Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn, Liverpool, Everton, Stoke and Blackpool all within circa 90 minutes drive then it really shoud not surprise anyone that Alty FC struggles for coverage.  In the circumstances I thnik our press folk do a great job.

Not knocking anyone at the club, they get as much out there as they can on a small budget.

I'm not sure Blackpool, Blackburn and Stoke have any effect on us to be honest. It's more that we live in an age where the Premier League is seen to be the be all and end all, with United and City right there. So many people go to one game a season, then watch the rest on telly, and think it makes tham a 'fan'.

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 02:35:07 PM »

(Just like you see people wandering round Alty town centre in Chelsea shirts - also succesful and enjoying lots of exposure - on a Saturday afternoon.)

Is this true? Dear God. I haven't lived in Alty for six years, but I never thought you'd see loads of Chelsea 'fans' knocking about. Always seemed to be about 65% United, 25% City, 5% Alty, then a few random others.That reminds me of a funny/depressing story actually. A couple of years ago I got the train to Alty for a home game, I forget who we were playing. Anyway, I nip into the newsagent on my way to the ground for a bottle of water. The bloke asks what shirt I'm wearing. "Altrincham" I reply. "Oh right...do you play for them then?"   :D  This is at 2.30pm on a Saturday. Does he really think Conference players stroll up just before kick-off then have a kick about??

Whilst it did give me a chuckle, it was also a bit depressing to see just how little exposure we get in the town.

You'd be doing very well to spot anyone walking around Altrincham town centre on a Saturday afternoon, never mind someone wearing a football shirt.

The town is dead on it's knees.

fuertes

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 02:38:19 PM »

You'd be doing very well to spot anyone walking around Altrincham town centre on a Saturday afternoon, never mind someone wearing a football shirt.

The town is dead on it's knees.

Yes, I'd heard it had one of the greatest proportions of empty retail units of any town in the country. Pathetic. Has Brady said anything about it?

RedWhiteRedWhite

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 02:39:44 PM »

HOW very dare you all indeed!  :o

"David McLean Nikal’s stunning £150 million Altair development proposals will combine retail, leisure and residential elements with offices, a 135 bed hotel, two new public squares and 850 parking spaces as well as providing a permanent home to the ice rink, the only one in Greater Manchester. The centrally located scheme is scheduled for completion by 2013."

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 02:43:45 PM »

HOW very dare you all indeed!  :o

"David McLean Nikal’s stunning £150 million Altair development proposals will combine retail, leisure and residential elements with offices, a 135 bed hotel, two new public squares and 850 parking spaces as well as providing a permanent home to the ice rink, the only one in Greater Manchester. The centrally located scheme is scheduled for completion by 2013."

I wouldn't hold your beath

Show us the tenants ?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team