Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Liverpool and Birmingham DVDs...............
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Liverpool and Birmingham DVDs...............  (Read 5166 times)

Cornerflag

« on: January 22, 2008, 01:22:56 AM »

Both the Birmingham game and the Liverpool game are now available to order from the club shop or from the Ebay shop.

Birmingham

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370015969983

Liverpool

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370015925028&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=024

the new whistler

Re: Liverpool and Birmingham DVDs...............
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 03:35:11 PM »

ordered my birmingham game today,i wonder if there is any close ups of me in the crowd,lolthe only close up of the alty fans was probably in 1st 15 minutes and i wont be in it as our coach broke down on the way and we had to wait for a replacement,shearings never gave us compo,hail goodwins

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »

I might have been on that same coach.

I remember us getting towards the M6 then we had to come back beacuse the door
wouldn't close properley.

Managed to get into St Andrews just on Kick off so didn't miss a second.

Got this game on VHS already, but ordered the Liverpool one
as i have never seen the full match even though i was there but i was only
9 then so don't rembember much except missing the kick off by a couple of mins.

the new whistler

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 07:32:39 PM »

different coach,ours broke down and had to wait for a replacement ,we missed the 1st 15 minutes of the match.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 10:29:52 PM »

I was on the coach that arrived 15 minutes late.

Good job we didnt miss Ronnie Ellis scoring! :D

What a cold windy night that was!

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 11:08:28 PM »

Just shows what a crap bunch of coaches we had back then if at least TWO broke down.

Shearings..."kings of the road"...MY ARSE

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 03:28:36 PM »

Will be interesting to see these. I'm sure in the early 80's, prior to the Sheffield Utd and York FA Cup replays at home they announced over the tannoy that the game was being video'd and you could secure a copy by buying it BEFORE the game. The price was a bit steep I think though - about £25 (a lot in 1981!) but it means that videos of the games exist maybe? Also, does anyone know if any cine film exists of the 1978 Trophy final?

Paul

Dougals Dad

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 07:30:21 PM »

Will be interesting to see these. I'm sure in the early 80's, prior to the Sheffield Utd and York FA Cup replays at home they announced over the tannoy that the game was being video'd and you could secure a copy by buying it BEFORE the game. The price was a bit steep I think though - about £25 (a lot in 1981!) but it means that videos of the games exist maybe? Also, does anyone know if any cine film exists of the 1978 Trophy final?

Paul

It's not Tannoy, its public address system!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 09:02:09 PM »

I think there must be one or two knocking about. There is the clip on the Giantkillers dvd of Joe Neenan kneeing Kingy and giving away the penalty (I think) or was that something else.

UK Phil, can you have a check or ring round York, see if anybody has any video of this. I suspect Yorkshire TV or something may at least have sent a camera down.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 12:05:17 AM »

What many people did not realise at the time, Joe Neenan went to School in Alty at BTH - he was a couple of years younger than myself.
Joe came from Partington. He joined Man United after leaving school. At the time of the SC**thorpe v Alty FA Cup tie, Joe was said to be attracting interests from Chelsea. Needless to say his clanger against us put paid to that. He hit fame by being a big mate of Ian Botham. Joe was also on the verge of playing for the Republic of Ireland whilst at York.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 04:39:41 PM »

Paul

Paul.....I am fairly sure that,frustratingly, there are no videos of either the Sheffield United or York FA Cup replays & the BBC gave us everything they had in their archives for the 'Giantkillers' DVD.

As far as the Leatherhead game is concerned, we have been trying to dig that one out for years! There was a cine film made & I believe shown to the players & staff of the time in either the Lively Lobster or Cock Robin on Manor Avenue in Sale, but it seems to have disappeared into the ether.

Funnily enough I was talking to Bill Coop about old videos & he decribed the Leatherhead film as "The Holy Grail" which I thought summed it up perfectly!!

Regards
Knight who says "Ni"

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 08:43:38 PM »

Thanks for the info Brian - shame that the 78 final footage has disappeared. Maybe one day...

I have an interesting 30 minutes radio recording of a show on BBC Radio Manchester immediately after the 1978 Trophy semi-final 1st leg against Runcorn - it features Tony Sanders fielding questions from supporters on a phone-in and the presenter in the studio. The mood was a little despondent after a 0-0 home draw but Sanders seemed optimistic about the 2nd leg as we had been without Jeff Johnson (suspended) and John Rogers had gone off ill during the game - I remember Mickey Brooke playing up front for the last half an hour in that game. If I remember correctly Barry Whitbread (then Runcorn) was supposed to have been suspended for the 2nd leg but they somehow managed to get him free to play which was annoying as we had lost Jeff for the first match. Didn't matter of course - Mal Bailey, what a hero! ;D

I also have a recording of the radio match reports from throughout the 1-1 draw with Spurs as I didn't actually go to the game. Must dig that out - its buried in the loft with all my other Alty memorabilia going back to the early 60s...

Cheers,
Paul
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:06:03 AM by PaulB »

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 10:16:02 AM »

Thanks for the info Brian - shame that the 78 final footage has disappeared. Maybe one day...

I have an interesting 30 minutes radio recording of a show on BBC Radio Manchester immediately after the 1978 Trophy semi-final 1st leg against Runcorn - it features Tony Sanders fielding questions from supporters on a phone-in and the presenter in the studio. The mood was a little despondent after a 0-0 home draw but Sanders seemed optimistic about the 2nd leg as we had been without Jeff Johnson (suspended) and John Rogers had gone off ill during the game - I remember Mickey Brooke playing up front for the last half an hour in that game. If I remember correctly Barry Whitbread (then Runcorn) was supposed to have been suspended for the 2nd leg but they somehow managed to get him free to play which was annoying as we had lost Jeff for the first match. Didn't matter of course - Mal Bailey, what a hero! ;D

I also have a recording of the radio match reports from throughout the 1-1 draw with Spurs as I didn't actually go to the game. Must dig that out - its buried in the loft with all my other Alty memorabilia going back to the early 60s...

Cheers,
Paul

Both of those would be excellent Paul if we ever put together a CD of audio/radio clips.

markecky

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 10:47:25 AM »

I have on tape (somewhere at my Mums) the GMR audio from after the demolition of Barnet in 1991.

Great interview witn Kingy..

"So John, what was the difference between the two sides"

"we scored more goals than them.."

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 12:42:40 PM »

I've just received my copy of the Liverpool DVD, cover states kick off 2:45pm. I was at the game but don't recall the unusual ko time, anyone know why that was?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team