PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 A bit of sense at last
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A bit of sense at last  (Read 4169 times)

Jimmy

Re: A bit of sense at last
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 08:37:05 PM »

There is need for something as we have month left and most teams have a quarter of there leauge matches left

Jimmy

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 08:41:36 PM »

If clubs can carry huge swathes of players yet not get the basics right why is that the leagues fault?, alarm bells should have been ringing in early September at Harrogate and Halifax when they first started having games called off, the only fault the league have made is not allowing Harrogate to use starbeck for league games and Halifax to use Farsley, other than that its not their doing, why should clubs just be able to stroll over the finish line when they want? We got no extension in1991, and it possibly cost us a place in the football league. Leek played 5 games in 7 days and managed to stave off relegation from the conference. Everyone knows the start date and the finish date, they should just get on with it. And also if Guiseley had got their finger out rather than drag it put, we could be hosting Halifax tonight...
Yes and like in 1991 no extension will suit the richer team with a bigger squad

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 11:01:35 PM »

On a similar note, it has always made me wonder if certain cricket counties are at a geographical disadvantage when winnable games are rained off and are hence drawn. Particularly in a league where not every team is played both home and away.

Quite right Mick, Lancashire would've won no end of County Championships had it not been for all the relief rainfall caused ny the Yorkshire Pennines,,,

York Alty

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 11:23:51 PM »

Season extension? Chester are champions, Halifax will make the payoffs. Hinckley are down with Paces Aces to follow.  The clubs with most games to play are Halifax on 29 played, Oxford on 30 and Colwyn Bay on 31.  Halifax WILL make the playoffs, Oxford WILL stay up, so it looks to me like only Colwyn Bay would have a legitimate claim to not achieving what they'd expect to do - i.e stay up.  This boils down to extending the season for Colwyn Bay.  I think not.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 12:55:08 AM »

On a similar note, it has always made me wonder if certain cricket counties are at a geographical disadvantage when winnable games are rained off and are hence drawn. Particularly in a league where not every team is played both home and away.

Quite right Mick, Lancashire would've won no end of County Championships had it not been for all the relief rainfall caused ny the Yorkshire Pennines,,,

Yes, it is fair to say that Yorkshire and Surrey only won the County Championship alternate seasons for about 25 years because it rained too much in all the other counties  - smile

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:02:07 AM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 01:20:50 PM »

I remember reading a report in the MEN saying that Lancashire had lost 50% more days in the history of the County Championship since it started in the 1800's than any other County, Yorkshire were 2nd most, but still less than half of Lancashire.

Time for a roof at Lancs i would say.

JDN

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 11:53:39 AM »

If clubs can carry huge swathes of players yet not get the basics right why is that the leagues fault?, alarm bells should have been ringing in early September at Harrogate and Halifax when they first started having games called off, the only fault the league have made is not allowing Harrogate to use starbeck for league games and Halifax to use Farsley, other than that its not their doing, why should clubs just be able to stroll over the finish line when they want? We got no extension in1991, and it possibly cost us a place in the football league. Leek played 5 games in 7 days and managed to stave off relegation from the conference. Everyone knows the start date and the finish date, they should just get on with it. And also if Guiseley had got their finger out rather than drag it put, we could be hosting Halifax tonight...
bit harsh

Snow in March is not the norm

Dodge pitches at this level of soccer is the norm

Anyway Harrogate have only played one game less than us. And I not so sure Colwyn have that bigger squad?

markecky

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 12:00:07 PM »

It's actually Oxford City's pitch which could have a big say in the playoff race.

They have only played 30 and have a lot of our rivals to play:

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/oxfordcityfc/j/fixtures-results-1289.html
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 A bit of sense at last