PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Northern Premier League
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Northern Premier League  (Read 12804 times)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Premier League
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 06:12:55 PM »

If he's a "proper" engineer I would be surprised if his employer allowed him to have random days off to travel.

Uuuuh

Proper Coppers, Teachers, Plasterers and Quantity Surveyors do..........so what's your point
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 06:35:59 PM »

It depends on the employer, wasn't Paul Showler a policeman? I imagine it is a combination of unpaid leave, planned paid leave and time worked back for many. If you're self employed then it's up to the individual. I remember Paul Mayman at Vics not being able to play midweek aways due to his job. Scott Leather had to miss at least one game too I recall. Edit...didn't we lose James Walshaw as he couldn't commit to the long away trips in the National having a young family? Part time players cannot be expected to commit like players paid for full time football.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:08:48 PM by SW »
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 06:40:43 PM »

Exactly that. Some employers wouldn't be that flexible. I teach adults and there's no chance of me getting time off midweek at short notice.

On that basis you have to decide where your priorities lie. I'm just saying. It's no reflection on Richman or anyone else. 

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2017, 08:23:43 PM »

Most of our players are part time in that they have other jobs - self employed apart, they will all have employers and they will all take a different view on taking time off to play football

I don't see why working as a professional engineer would be any different to any other job or profession our players have

Most fixtures are not at 'short notice' either - fixture list is out in July and bar postponed games etc they can be arranged with your boss

The luxury of the full timers eh

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:27:56 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2017, 08:57:36 PM »

Most of our players are part time in that they have other jobs - self employed apart, they will all have employers and they will all take a different view on taking time off to play football

I don't see why working as a professional engineer would be any different to any other job or profession our players have

Most fixtures are not at 'short notice' either - fixture list is out in July and bar postponed games etc they can be arranged with your boss

The luxury of the full timers eh

Some hours are 9-5, some are flexible.
Some locations are flexible. Some are fixed.

It's all my fault.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2017, 11:23:19 PM »

Just for the record (Matt)......I am fairly pi$$ed off at work at the moment and happy to skip work for a game midweek next season at Coventry Sphinx or Dudley MW

Matt Taylor

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 04:35:32 PM »

There was a North East newspaper interview with Alun Armstrong (Blyth manager and ex-Stockport player) linked on the County forum a couple of weeks ago and he was saying how hard a league it is. He even went as far as to say it was too tough a league for the Under 23's from Middlesbrough (where he was/is involved with) to play in. From what he said, if we've still got any semblance of this squad and management team in place next season, I fear we will be following in Droylsden and Hyde's footsteps and dropping right through.

We beat Champions-elect Blyth (with a squad even weaker than our usual weekly trash), and we looked relatively comfortable despite an early scare (and don't tell me otherwise) against promotion-chasing Matlock.

If we clear the decks and use another 50 players, we'll drop straight through as you say.

FFS HAS NOBODY LEARNED A THING FROM THIS SEASON?!

I can see your logic, but I would be wary of placing too much emphasis on cup games. But by the same thinking, we were also competitive with strong Lincoln and Macclesfield sides in the cups this season and I wouldn't have thought that anyone would be arguing that the current squad would be competitive in the Conference National next season.

GB Alty

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 07:27:36 PM »

Also by that thinking we lost to Hyde so we worse than them and would struggle in the evostick north one
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Northern Premier League