PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Trivia query
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trivia query  (Read 7635 times)

taxi Phil

Re: Trivia query
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 10:21:17 PM »

I remember the old main stand at Linotype when its was derelict I think where it stood is now is roughly Medway cresent, although jimmy could be more precise being his old stomping ground. Linotype finished playing at the silver wings club.Which is now broomwood swimming baths, where Alty youth now play,on linos old pitch, only about a mile from moss lane.

Ground was called Lawrence Road. Used to take Boss Hogg and his brother there in the early 1980's.

Hamilton

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 11:00:12 PM »

Dundee and Dundee United are on the same road, I believe.

Was in Dundee a few months ago on derby day, I could see the grounds from the top of an extinct volcano, Dundee Law, and they are, literally right next to each other. I could hear the crowds through the murky Dundee air.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 12:38:25 AM »

I remember the old main stand at Linotype when its was derelict I think where it stood is now is roughly Medway cresent,

Diidn't that Linotype main stand fall victim to our old friend, John Maunders, whose company demolished it to make way for the construction of a new housing estate?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 01:22:31 AM »

I went to watch Linotype on a handful of occasions in the 1970's.....it was basically a small wooden stand that seated about 200 & a railing around the pitch. They merged with Cheadle Heath Nomads in 2004/5 & are now Linotype Cheadle Heath Nomads.

The closest place to Moss Lane that I have seen Alty play at is Crossford Bridge in Sale (Old Alts Friendly to open their new ground in 2003 or 2004). After that , possibly West Didsbury & Chorlton, who play in Chorlton, in a pre-season friendly around 2003.

In terms of a competitive game, I think that The Cult is probably on the money with the FA Cup game against Maine Road in 1990.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 06:17:29 AM »

The Manchester League final table for 1906-7 makes interesting reading: Alty champions with 43 points! macc second with 42 then Witton with  41, Sale Holmfield with 34.  Vics were 6th. The rest of the league was Salford United, Tonge, Denton, Pendlebury, Stretford, Berrys Association, Heywood United, Buxton, Hooley Hill and Newton Heath.  It just shows how old are the rivalries with Macc and the two clubs from Northwich.  I wonder if Newton Heath was an AFC Wimbledon type club for the MK Dons of Man U.

Macc and Vics both joined the Machester League in 1901, and played against us as Broadheath.  They replaced the likes of Lymm and a team called South West Manchester, which couldn't have been too far away

Jimmy

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 07:33:34 AM »

I remember the old main stand at Linotype when its was derelict I think where it stood is now is roughly Medway cresent,

Diidn't that Linotype main stand fall victim to our old friend, John Maunders, whose company demolished it to make way for the construction of a new housing estate?

Yes cult the area ended up having maunders houses on it

markecky

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 10:49:48 AM »

Maunders - Homes for Good Living.

taxi Phil

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 11:07:41 AM »

The Manchester League final table for 1906-7 makes interesting reading: Alty champions with 43 points! macc second with 42 then Witton with  41, Sale Holmfield with 34.  Vics were 6th. The rest of the league was Salford United, Tonge, Denton, Pendlebury, Stretford, Berrys Association, Heywood United, Buxton, Hooley Hill and Newton Heath.  It just shows how old are the rivalries with Macc and the two clubs from Northwich.  I wonder if Newton Heath was an AFC Wimbledon type club for the MK Dons of Man U.

Macc and Vics both joined the Machester League in 1901, and played against us as Broadheath.  They replaced the likes of Lymm and a team called South West Manchester, which couldn't have been too far away

That Newton Heath would be the railway team, Newton Heath Loco. They were still in the Manchester League in the late 50's when we ran a reserve side there. I remember us playing Northern Nomads, Cheadle Town, New Mills, and Ball Haye Green back then.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 05:16:11 PM »

We could find ourselves playing a Cheshire Senior Cup tie at Flixton's ground next season....

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 05:38:20 PM »

We could find ourselves playing a Cheshire Senior Cup tie at Flixton's ground next season....

Indeed Cult. I'd rather we played one in Winsford against the true green slime though.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2013, 09:35:25 PM »

Sale Holmfield 1903-10 in Manchester League; Stretford 1903-08 also Manchester League. We probably played both under the old Broadheath name between 1893-1903. In Cup-ties, one stands out - Sept 15th 1934, FA Cup Preliminary Round, Alty 8 Timperley 2, but another may have been closer still - Jan 4th 1930 CSC 1st Rd; Linotype (or Linotype & Machinery to give the full title!) 3 Alty 1. (Linos of course came from Broadheath - I've seen pictures of their old ground but don't know exactly where it was.)
By the way - with apologies for foul language - Green Slime v Witton has to be as near as they come round these parts, old or new grounds. I counted 102 of my (rather short) strides from the back gate of Dens Park, Dundee to the near entrance of Tannadice Park when I visited that city back in the last century!

If this is accurate Royton I'm enjoying the fact that Timperley have played in the FA Cup.

roytonmike

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 07:14:31 AM »

Sale Holmfield 1903-10 in Manchester League; Stretford 1903-08 also Manchester League. We probably played both under the old Broadheath name between 1893-1903. In Cup-ties, one stands out - Sept 15th 1934, FA Cup Preliminary Round, Alty 8 Timperley 2, but another may have been closer still - Jan 4th 1930 CSC 1st Rd; Linotype (or Linotype & Machinery to give the full title!) 3 Alty 1. (Linos of course came from Broadheath - I've seen pictures of their old ground but don't know exactly where it was.)
By the way - with apologies for foul language - Green Slime v Witton has to be as near as they come round these parts, old or new grounds. I counted 102 of my (rather short) strides from the back gate of Dens Park, Dundee to the near entrance of Tannadice Park when I visited that city back in the last century!
If this is accurate Royton I'm enjoying the fact that Timperley have played in the FA Cup.
See Programmes section of main website for a bit of comment on that particular game! Incidentally, FA archive confirms score as 8-2.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 07:20:39 AM by roytonmike »
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Trivia query