PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Goodwin comment....
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goodwin comment....  (Read 5516 times)

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Goodwin comment....
« on: September 21, 2008, 01:26:01 PM »

As I was getting a pint of milk this morning I had a quick flick through one of the NLP, not sure which one but theres a small bit with a comment from GG.

In it he basically states he's had enough, can't take the club any further, is looking for investment, isn't a conference chairman and can't afford it no longer...

Intersting. I feel theres more to come. After a supporter questioned Rowley's involvement with the club yesterday and said he 'could walk away' his reaction said it all.

I stood back, watched and listened....

markecky

Re: Goodwin comment....
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 01:52:14 PM »

That was the statement on the main site on Saturday morning..prior to yesterday

Garveys Brother

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »

I'm wondering whether while we are all argueing about heathcote, we might be having some money troubles if what you have said is true.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 02:40:50 PM »

Not according to the fully audited accounts we're not. How about taking club's statement at face value i.e. Geoff , Andrew and Grahame do not have the substantial sums of cash which are required to fund a successful club at BSP level and are therefore inviting anyone with such to come on board.

For the record there was no second shot from the grassy knowle, there was a moon landing in 1969 and Princess Di died because her driver was p*ssed.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 02:58:28 PM »

I'm wondering whether while we are all argueing about heathcote, we might be having some money troubles if what you have said is true.

Only in the sense that it was said that the money from the car park development would have run out by the end of the season.

Reading between the lines, that means a 'less expensive' squad in the offing for next season. It looks like GG and GR think we might be better going down this year to a league which they feel we can afford unless a sugar daddy comes in.

Keeping GH in charge is probably the best way to ensure this happens.  :(
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Garveys Brother

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 03:05:13 PM »

This may sound sound stupid but are you joking or saying that GH is still here to send us down on purpose

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 03:14:58 PM »

Yes it does sound stupid it isn't what he is saying at all.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Garveys Brother

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 03:24:50 PM »

I'm sorry im a bit confused today

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 03:26:41 PM »

It was an attempt at irony - but thanks for the Peake anyway  ;)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 09:31:19 PM »

This is to what I was refering too, from Altrinchamfc.com...

In today's NL Today newspaper, we read that "Altrincham chairman Geoff Goodwin is desperate for a way out of the club as soon as possible; he just has to find someone to take over. Fans have again been on the back of the chief, and manager Graham Heathcote, after the Robins’ poor start to the season. But Goodwin, who has been searching for a successor for some time says he cannot take the club any further and wants the supporters to lay off.
’I’ve hit a brick wall’, he said. ‘I’ve done my bit but I’m not a chairman for the Conference. I can’t afford it’. I want to go but I’m not going to do that until someone comes in with a three-year business plan to take the club forward. To sustain things in this league you need people to put massive amounts of money in. I’d love that to happen but it has to be done with a proper plan because I can’t let what we’ve done over the last six years be destroyed. The fans expect to do well in the Conference now, and I understand that, but I’ve been getting some stick and I don’t deserve it. It’s about what you can afford. You are where you are and the fans have to accept that’.

Unfortunately, for all concerned, Goodwin does not expect things to change anytime soon. ‘In today’s climate, what are the chances?', he explained. ‘People aren’t going to invest in a football club when they are having to lay people off. So we’ll have to keep going as we are for now’.

The chairman also insists that boss Heathcote is still the right man to lead the team. ‘He’s not under pressure’, said Goodwin. 'Graham doesn’t enjoy getting beat any more than the fans do. You can’t always blame the manager. You could sack him but where would you find the money to pay the next manager and bring in more players? It’s not about changing the manager, it’s about being realistic’”.

Couple of points..
He seems to at least have the CLUB at heart and wishes not to throw the good work done away
Iam not aware of anything negative nor any stick directed towards GG
He seems to indicate theres no change imminent
'its about what we can afford and the fans have to accept that, you are where we are ??? - can we at least have a go at staying here then ?
How can GH not be under pressure ? If not why the hell is he manager, and to say 'you can't sack him because how would we pay someone else' is a little off the mark. How do we pay GH, in beans ???

And lastly, I think its only a matter of time before something more serious happens, and that would be a shame...

Alty365

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 09:40:57 PM »

Where do I start?

The fans expect to do well in the Conference now

No we don't expect to "do well". We just expect to compete better and maybe stay up of our own accord!

‘He’s not under pressure’, said Goodwin. 'Graham doesn’t enjoy getting beat any more than the fans do. You can’t always blame the manager. You could sack him but where would you find the money to pay the next manager and bring in more players? It’s not about changing the manager, it’s about being realistic

Same old bullsh*t! Why don't they just have the balls to admit they love Graham and won't sack him under any circumstances? I might actually respect them if they had the honesty to admit it.

This club is now a joke - run by the clique for the clique. They don't give a sh*t about Altrincham F.C. or its fans.

Welcome to Graham Heathcote F.C.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 09:43:16 PM by Alty365 »

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 09:47:55 PM »

If we have cleared over £600k of debt over the last few years, they have obv been doing something right. Why the need for investment now we have cleared the debt ?

If I was clearing a debt at say £500 a month, after I had paid it off wouldn't I technically be £500 a month better off ?

bigcol

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 09:49:56 PM »

Yes but you can't assume you are going to sell a car park or a Craney every season.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 09:51:52 PM »

Yes but you can't assume you are going to sell a car park or a Craney every season.

That is why I said 'the last few years'

We haven't had a sell on fee nor car park sale the previous 3/4 seasons before last...

bigcol

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 10:05:02 PM »

Craney alone was £75k, dunno what the car park was but bet it was a fair chunk of the debt.

Anyway I think the sentiment GG is expressing to move the club on is that it needs more funding - the BSP has got richer, so using your logic if we have stay the same we are poor and getting poorer in comparison with our peers.

These are unstable times at Alty - the Chairman has effectively give himself 9 months notice, the fans have had enough of the manager and the players are now caught up with it too - with these players being on non-contract or small, 1-year contracts, then it isn't hard for them to move if they wish.

I'm not sure where the loyality comes from between GH and GG - maybe someone knows?  Usually in football, Managers and Chairmen have uneasy relationships or at best professional ones.

One thing is for certain - it'll keep this forum busy!

Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Goodwin comment....