News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tribute to a retiring Alty fan

Author Topic: Tribute to a retiring Alty fan  (Read 1621 times)

Dougals Dad

« on: January 26, 2008, 09:10:38 PM »

Australia wicket-keeper Adam Gilchrist has announced his retirement from all forms of international cricket.
Gilchrist will go down in history as one of the most destructive batsmen the sport has ever seen, while his skills behind the stumps saw him overtake Mark Boucher's world record for Test dismissals on Friday.
He made his Test debut in 1999, and scored 5,556 runs, took 377 catches and made 37 stumpings in his 96 consecutive appearances.
Gilchrist also holds the record for the highest number of sixes in Test cricket, with a trademark shot over the boundary against Sri Lanka in November 2007 bringing up his 100th.
As well as a cavalier cricketer of the highest calibre, he is also one of the most sporting of players: quick to praise, a gentleman and one of very few players today who will "Walk" if he knows he is out, rather than waiting for the umpire's decision.
I believe he stays in touch with Geoff Goodwin and asks how the team are doing and I hope we see him at Moss Lane again.

Butty

Re: Tribute to a retiring Alty fan
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:53:18 PM »

graet player, lucky enough to see him play at old trafford in 2005, his sledging may not be missed but his ability will be

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 12:37:21 AM »

Australia wicket-keeper Adam Gilchrist has announced his retirement from all forms of international cricket.
Gilchrist will go down in history as one of the most destructive batsmen the sport has ever seen, while his skills behind the stumps saw him overtake Mark Boucher's world record for Test dismissals on Friday.
He made his Test debut in 1999, and scored 5,556 runs, took 377 catches and made 37 stumpings in his 96 consecutive appearances.
Gilchrist also holds the record for the highest number of sixes in Test cricket, with a trademark shot over the boundary against Sri Lanka in November 2007 bringing up his 100th.
As well as a cavalier cricketer of the highest calibre, he is also one of the most sporting of players: quick to praise, a gentleman and one of very few players today who will "Walk" if he knows he is out, rather than waiting for the umpire's decision.
I believe he stays in touch with Geoff Goodwin and asks how the team are doing and I hope we see him at Moss Lane again.

Isn't he an Alty FC shareholder?

If so, I expect to see him at the club's forthcoming AGM.....

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

bigcol

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 09:54:25 AM »

There are very few sportmen who can claim to have changed their sport - Gilly is one of them. His new approach to being wicket keeper batsmen changed the definition of the position forever.

Narcissist

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 10:39:51 AM »

Good luck Gilly and get home to moss lane soon!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team