PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Trivia query
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trivia query  (Read 7636 times)

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Trivia query
« on: June 01, 2013, 09:15:47 AM »

Presuming we do play Stockport next season, will it be our closest ever league away game?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Trivia query
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 09:28:51 AM »

We used to play against sale homefield and stretford but I don't know if they were league games or we just drew them in various cups over the years. I would say in recent history most definately, its probably one of the closest in senior football that is a derby between two sifes from different towns

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »

I reckon Stalybridge v Hyde has got to be one of the very closest. Any of the Tameside teams perhaps.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 10:50:56 AM »

Pretty sure it will be our nearest, quite a few down here near me, Sutton v Carshalton and Tooting & Mitcham v Carshalton spring to mind, QPR v Fulham or Fulham V Chelsea, all those are walkable with ease.
Never knew Sale had ever had a football team, my parents first flat in the 50s was on Holmfield Rd, near where the Grammar School is now. Wonder if they played around there?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 01:04:44 PM »

I suppose there can't be many senior non-league grounds closer to Moss Lane than Stockport's full stop. Cheadle Town. Trafford maybe? Any others?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 01:21:32 PM by Leon »

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 01:36:23 PM »

I think digging very deep into early last century we played a team from Sale or Timperley in a local cup competition.

Ignoring ground share, the closet I have been on is Independiente and Racing on the Avellenada Industrial district of Buenos Aires. A road norrower than Moss Lane seperates the two top Argentinian grounds.
Anfield and Goodison are only divided by a large park.

fuertes

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 01:58:26 PM »

Dundee and Dundee United are on the same road, I believe.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 02:05:44 PM »

Cheadle town is nearer than Edgeley, Trafford is touch and go, depending which route you take from Moss lane, shortest route to Edgeley park would be to go through the lanes to Newhall green, then through gatley,cheadle and up to Edgeley, quickest would be through the lanes then jump on the motorway at Wythenshawe but mileage wise  its longer. I've done from the industrial estate on the old gasworks to the back of Stockport station in 15 mins before today.If it would be classed as a senior nonleague ground then Wythenshawe town wins hands down. Knutsford also via Ashley and  the Tatton mile is also very close with knutsfords ground being on this side of the town

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 04:38:14 PM »

Dundee and Dundee United are on the same road, I believe.

I drove up to Tannadice to check and they are two stones throw apart.

Tannadice Park is a dump alas it is made to look next to Dens Park.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 06:41:50 PM »

I suppose there can't be many senior non-league grounds closer to Moss Lane than Stockport's full stop. Cheadle Town. Trafford maybe? Any others?

Maine Road, as visited in the FA Cup in 1990...?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 08:12:21 PM »

Maine road is a good shout actually cult, again dependant on route, but you probably opt for princess parkway from moss lane the wilbraham road, withington road, brantingham road, I'd say about 7/8 miles going that route

Jimmy

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 08:40:04 PM »

With cheadle it's nearer than a home match for me

roytonmike

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 09:26:57 PM »

Sale Holmfield 1903-10 in Manchester League; Stretford 1903-08 also Manchester League. We probably played both under the old Broadheath name between 1893-1903. In Cup-ties, one stands out - Sept 15th 1934, FA Cup Preliminary Round, Alty 8 Timperley 2, but another may have been closer still - Jan 4th 1930 CSC 1st Rd; Linotype (or Linotype & Machinery to give the full title!) 3 Alty 1. (Linos of course came from Broadheath - I've seen pictures of their old ground but don't know exactly where it was.)
By the way - with apologies for foul language - Green Slime v Witton has to be as near as they come round these parts, old or new grounds. I counted 102 of my (rather short) strides from the back gate of Dens Park, Dundee to the near entrance of Tannadice Park when I visited that city back in the last century!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:30:59 PM by roytonmike »

Jimmy

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 09:35:17 PM »

Lino played near John lea park unless they played at a different grind previous to my knowledge

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 09:35:51 PM »

I remember the old main stand at Linotype when its was derelict I think where it stood is now is roughly Medway cresent, although jimmy could be more precise being his old stomping ground. Linotype finished playing at the silver wings club.Which is now broomwood swimming baths, where Alty youth now play,on linos old pitch, only about a mile from moss lane.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Trivia query