News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Reprieve updates Boston and crawley.

Author Topic: Reprieve updates Boston and crawley.  (Read 2966 times)

Jezza

« on: May 08, 2007, 05:29:25 PM »

Boston Utd face a nervous wait to see if they will be accepted back into the Conference following their extraordinary exit from the Football League.

The financially-crippled Pilgrims were relegated from League Two on Saturday after losing 3-1 at Wrexham.

In the closing stages of the game their chairman, Jim Rodwell, entered the club into a Company Voluntary Arrangement, preferring the automatic docking of 10 points to apply this season.

That has raised serious concerns with Conference bosses, who will discuss Boston's predicament at a board meeting on Thursday, while the club's continued existence remains uncertain.

Conference vice-chairman Charles Clapham said: "It's a unique situation with them going into administration in the last two minutes of the last game of the season.

"Whichever way you look at it, you can't turn around and say that this is sending out the right message in the world of football.

"It might be technically legal, but morally it's sending out the wrong message to creditors.

"In conjunction with the Football League, we'll have to look long and hard at the rules and the legality of it all in order to see what the implications will be.

"Leeds entered administration to save themselves a 10-point deduction next season and now a precedent has been set.

"It seems that clubs are using a loophole in the rules and I'm sure it will catch the attention of the ruling bodies.

"You've got to look at the trail of destruction which has been left behind and the people who've been good enough to give them credit.

"Maybe in the future clubs won't be able to get credit because of this type of action."

Boston's previous misdemeanours in the Conference could also be taken into account when their situation is discussed at Thursday's meeting.

When the Pilgrims were promoted from the Conference as champions in 2002, they were immediately hit by a four-point deduction and fine for breach of FA rules over player registrations.

Manager Steve Evans and former chairman Patrick Malkinson were given bans and last November both received suspended jail sentences for "conspiring to cheat the public revenue between 1997 and 2002".

Boston secretary John Blackwell said: "The Conference will surely have to take us but at the moment I'm more concerned about whether I'll have a job to go to."

The club's players and staff have not been paid for three months and Evans seems certain to quit the club and take the helm at Chester City.

And with the Football League yet to confirm Boston's 10-point deduction, the club could begin next season on minus 10 points in the Conference - provided they are allowed to play in the competition.

Meanwhile a post on confguide says that even if crawley miss their 12May deadline previously set to Crawley, Scarboro and Farnboro they will not be kicked out according to Southern Counties Radio...rumours say the flat is off the market and it's too late to auction it now before the deadline.

Hmmm maybe we shouldn't have sent all those insulting e-mails to Mr Moules?

Altysmiffy

Re: Reprieve updates Boston and crawley.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:02:55 PM »

On BBCi Evans says he will stay with Boston despite the relegation.

Do we believe this man of integrity and honour????

If he went to Chester then what a pair he & Stephen Vaughan would make!!!!!!!

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 09:18:21 PM »

So the Conference will embrace Boston but that doesn't mean the FA can't get involved.

They have to welcome any newly relegated clubs but that does not mean the end of it !

Bath Alty

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 09:30:56 PM »

For me I think Moules was washing his hands of the whole thing.  We have to take them but if the FA want to do something about it then they can, the conference has no say in it.

It looks to me that Boston will start next season in BSP on -10 as punsihment for going into administration and taking the piss with the timing.

If Moules wanted Boston out there's plenty of things he could have highlighted - like not being sure of having a ground they can use next year, not having played players for 3 months (remind you of anyone from last year?) but he said they hadn't broken any conference rules.

Having said all that the reprieve last season came as a surprise to me so it's still anybody's guess what they'll do.  I'm still clinging to the hope that we get a reprieve at the expense of Forest gump Rovers who are kicked out for having a three sided ground.

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 09:36:26 PM »

Heard Moules on Five Live.  He said nothing of any note really.   Did not realize he sounded so much like Del Boy.  Come to think of it sometimes  I think if the Conference was a car it would be Del Boy's old yellow Robin Reliant!

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 09:55:48 PM »

I wouldn't say he was washing his hands of the whole thing at all. Obviously this 'we have to take all sides from the FL' mantra regardless, is not great for us at first listen. However this must be balanced against the none too subtle remarks inferring that any action the FA may wish to take is up to them. The closing remarks about Boston 'leaving under a cloud and entering under one' as well would suggest that the bigwigs on the Board are far from impressed. He's hardly going to go and say on national Radio 'yes Boston are a disgrace don't let them in' but his comments to me suggested that the issue of their membership is certainly being very closely scrutinised.

More to come on this I feel

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 02:49:12 AM »

Meanwhile a post on confguide says that even if crawley miss their 12May deadline previously set to Crawley, Scarboro and Farnboro they will not be kicked out according to Southern Counties Radio...rumours say the flat is off the market and it's too late to auction it now before the deadline.

Apparently the news concerning Crawley could be bollocks as it most likely comes from the Majeeds, who have a reputation for being, well, liars really.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Cornerflag

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 02:27:15 PM »

Cornerflag

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 02:36:40 PM »

From BBCi..........(interesting last paragraph)

Football chiefs mull clubs' debts 
By Bill Wilson BBC News 

Rules determining the way Football League clubs go into administration, and the punishments they receive, look certain to be reviewed by the competition's bosses.

Leeds fans are defiant in the face of their club's plight

Both Leeds United and Boston United called in administrators as the season grew to an end, with the Elland Road club thus incurring a 10-point penalty deduction this season instead of next.

Boston, who went into administration during their last game, have yet to hear their fate.

League chairman Brian Mawhinney said: "Are we going to think about addressing this issue? Yes, we are.

"Is it [going into administration] allowed for by our rules? Yes, it is.

"But does it raise a number of questions? Yes, it does."

Channels open

Leeds United went into administration, but were immediately bought back from the administrators by a new company, headed by club chairman Ken Bates.

Mr Mawhinney, who became League chairman in 2003, said that when he took the helm, a number of clubs had gone into administration, and that over the past four years, that had changed.

Leeds United now have no chance of evading relegation

"Until last week's events, we did not have any in administration," he told the BBC at the Soccerex football finance seminar at Wembley Stadium.

The chairmen of the 72 Football League clubs will hold their annual meeting in early June.

Mr Mawhinney said: "We will start thinking about the administration issue before the annual meeting.

"However, if we think the issue has not been properly discussed by then, we will not be bounced into making a decision at that time."

He said the League was listening to what the clubs were saying on the issue and "keeping 72 channels open".

Mr Mawhinney also pointed out that the Football League could not prevent clubs going into administration.

"They make their own decisions, they have their own directors," he added.

Right balance

Administration is undertaken by cash-strapped or indebted clubs to allow them to stay in business.

The League's 10-point penalty deduction was introduced to make sure clubs do not use it as any easy way of avoiding their financial responsibilities, or live beyond their means as they chase success on the playing field.

"We have tried to create a framework which encourages directors to handle their money sensibly for the sake of the clubs and fans, " Mr Mawhinney said.

"When I came into the Football League, the mantra of the clubs was 'Success', but I have tried to change that so that clubs seek the correct balance between seeking success and achieving sustainability."

There appears to be little hope of football creditors being paid in full under Boston United's Company Voluntary Agreement - which is a requirement of the League's articles and insolvency policy.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 10:01:45 PM »

The Boston chairman was on R5 Live tonight. I only caught a small snippet of the interview & seemed to be trying to evade the concept that what Boston did was wrong. He said he was just trying to save the club!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team