News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Results and what can be expected

Author Topic: Results and what can be expected  (Read 2371 times)

Jenga

« on: September 18, 2008, 09:35:44 PM »

I am  not sure how this post will work out or whether indeed it will make sense but I will try anyway. I was going to make this post after 10 games when a more realistic picture is forme, but as I am away on hols for a week i thought i would do it now.

We have always said that we should be beating the teams at the bottom of the table getting mixed results against the middle table teams and losing against the top teams.

So I looked at the current table to draw some conclusions on our games so far.

A Woking  2-1       - below us in the league and we won
 H BARROW  3-4    - 10th in the league and we lost
 H KETTERING TOWN  1-1   - 3rd in the table and we got a draw
 A Kidderminster Harriers 0-4  - 9th in the league and we lost
 H WREXHAM  1-1  - 8th in the leauge and we got a draw
 A Eastbourne Borough  0-1   - 14th and we lost
 A Histon  0-1  -  6th and we lost
 H SALISBURY CITY  0-0  - 2nd and we got a draw
 A Stevenage Borough  0-3   - 18th and we lost

We have played 6 of the top 10 teams and got 3 draws and two of the three we lost were away.
We have played 1 of the middle teams and lost and were away.
We have played 2 teams away from home at the bottom and won one lost one which was away.

You could argue that teams are at the top becuase they have beaten us, but after 9 games it is clearly not true, especially when teams in 2 and 3 places only drew against us counteracting that arguement.

Anoither arguement is that the likes of Oxford and Tourquay will pull away, that may be true, they will go on a run, probably just as they play us like stevenage have done.

So are our results really that bad?

DISCUSS.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Results and what can be expected
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:38:10 PM »

That really is a conundrum  ;D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 10:25:05 PM »

Forget all that stuff - it's meaningless. Keep it simple; we need to average at least a point per game to stay up. Hence we are behind target.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 12:18:06 AM »

If the logic is correct and the form continues at the same level then ...
We should beat Lewes at home, lose or draw at home to Mansfield and the next two games against lower mid-table teams (Rushden away and Ebbsfleet at home) should show us what we can achieve.   Maybe...

Two wins and a draw from those four games would put us on 13 points (average of one per game) and on target by both methods.  ;D 

RocketDan

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 01:28:50 AM »

can i refer you to the 'average slightly optimistic fan'
why are you saying 'we are not expected to beat teams in the top half'... its hard to use this term when you look at the teams in the top 5 or 6, come the end of the season, of the  teams we have played so far only wrexham and stevenage will finish in or around the play-offs.

do the players have this defeatest attitude aswell.

I know football isn't predictable, but judging by the strengthening of our team, pres-season and the general optimism around the club, Here is what i would expect from out opening 9 games

Woking       2-1 win
BARROW    3-2 win
KETTERING TOWN 1-1 draw
Kidderminster Harriers    2-2 draw
WREXHAM    0-3 loss
Eastbourne Borough    0-1 win
Histon    0-0 draw
SALISBURY CITY    1-1 draw
Stevenage Borough 1-2 loss

i admit 3wins, 4draws, 2 loss is slightly over optimistic, maybe another loss away from home. 13 points after 9 games, around 14th in the tables.

The fact of the matter is come saturday we have played all the newly promoted teams, and so far we have only taken one point from a possible 9, is this acceptable?

you brand around phrases like top half.
we still have cambridge, york, oxford, burton, torquay, mansfield. R&D both home and away all are gonna be top half.
if we are lucky we might get 5 points from those 14 games.

we really need to beat the average teams... Sailsbury and Histon may finish 6-10 but they are not invincible. nor are grays, kidderminster, weymouth et.al....

Jenga

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 10:18:54 PM »

For those that did reply, most of which appear to disagree or rubbish my comments - well win against Lewes and indeed Mansfield.

Perhaps there is some logic in what I said??

Just to mention I am commenting on results here not performances.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 10:20:57 PM by Jenga »

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 08:48:43 AM »

For those that did reply, most of which appear to disagree or rubbish my comments - well win against Lewes and indeed Mansfield.

I'll stick by what I said.
Don't think I rubbished what you said but to follow the logic we overperformed last night (so maybe I am a bit now!). I still think, as others have said that the next couple of games could tell us more than the last two. If we can pick up points against the mid-table teams then we'll do ok.

Jenga

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 10:13:20 AM »

I'll stick by what I said.
Don't think I rubbished what you said but to follow the logic we overperformed last night (so maybe I am a bit now!). I still think, as others have said that the next couple of games could tell us more than the last two. If we can pick up points against the mid-table teams then we'll do ok.

I hope so, if we can get something out of Mondays game, even a draw it would be good.

brian1925

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:14:27 AM »

To stay up we must win at home - simple as that! Last night, I could see us winning more at home than we will lose, but we must keep up that type of form for all teams, not just the ex-league sides.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team