PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty International XI
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Alty International XI  (Read 8575 times)

Dougals Dad

Re: Alty International XI
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 10:48:08 PM »

Didn't Alex Stepney have a few caps for England?

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 10:57:21 PM »

Didn't Alex Stepney have a few caps for England?

One to be exact

The story is Matt Busby persuaded Alf Ramsey to pick him so he could have experience of playing at Wembley just before the 1968 European Cup Final

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 11:35:26 PM »

Lutel James St Nevis & Kitts ?
Matthew Berkley
Ignacio Ybarra (France)? - think that's his name. Didn't Bernard Taylor sign/trial him? not sure he ever actually played?

I'm fairly sure Ignacio Ybarra was Spanish.I think he made one appearance in the 3-0 win at Emley in September 1998.

taxi Phil

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 11:52:52 PM »

I know we all think that overseas players at this level are a relatively recent innovation......

But our line-up in my very first game at Moss Lane in 1953 included Hungarian left winger Con Kapler (not an international, but a great favourite of our fans back then).

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 12:02:36 AM »

I know we all think that overseas players at this level are a relatively recent innovation......

But our line-up in my very first game at Moss Lane in 1953 included Hungarian left winger Con Kapler (not an international, but a great favourite of our fans back then).

Phil,

I think you will find that Konrad Kapler was Polish.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 12:06:26 AM »

Lutel James St Nevis & Kitts ?
Matthew Berkley
Ignacio Ybarra (France)? - think that's his name. Didn't Bernard Taylor sign/trial him? not sure he ever actually played?

I'm fairly sure Ignacio Ybarra was Spanish.I think he made one appearance in the 3-0 win at Emley in September 1998.

Mister Flynn,

Your memory does you proud.

Here's an excerpt from one of my old articles in the Robins Review:

IGNACIO YBARRA

A rather exclusive gathering of just 437 spectators were privileged to witness this 26 year old Spaniard’s solitary appearance for the Robins when he came on as a substitute for Phil Power during a 3-0 win at Emley in the Unibond League on Saturday, 26th September 1998. Allegedly, he had once been on the books of Real Zaragoza but he joined Alty after a trial period with Rochdale. He soon departed for Doncaster Rovers, where he made one FA Cup appearance, and was last heard of enjoying a siesta at Harrogate Town.

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

taxi Phil

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 12:17:57 AM »

Phil,

I think you will find that Konrad Kapler was Polish.

He was certainly "Polished" ! I blame my late father for this one if you're correct (and you usually are !)

AltySi

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 12:28:25 PM »

Gerard Leonard - France
Adewale Ajetamobi - Nigeria ( I guessed the spelling)
Soner Zumrutel - Think he was Turkish

seasonticket

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 08:32:16 AM »

Kon Kapler was deffo Polish.
For some reason, don't know why, I thought Soner Zumrutel was Swiss. That could be wrong though.
In the fifties Nelson Stiffle played for us and I think, was from Columbia or one of those South American countries

george

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 03:29:59 PM »

Ron Healey played for Altrincham v. Buxton (Away) on loan from Man.City

taxi Phil

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 10:34:29 PM »

For some reason, don't know why, I thought Soner Zumrutel was Swiss. That could be wrong though.
In the fifties Nelson Stiffle played for us and I think, was from Columbia or one of those South American countries

I'm sure Cult will correct me again if I'm wrong, but I seem to think Nelson Stiffle was a New Zealander.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 12:17:41 AM »

I'm sure Cult will correct me again if I'm wrong, but I seem to think Nelson Stiffle was a New Zealander.

Phil,

By all accounts, Nelson Stiffle was born in India and died in Australia.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 05:17:38 AM »

Charlie Mitten, born Yangon, Myanmar
Known as the Bogota Bandit and classified as a mercenary for taking money to play in Columbia - no different to the reasons foreigners play in the Premiership today.
However viewed by many as the best English player never to play for England (his parents were Mancs).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:19:54 AM by RedhillAlty »

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 05:27:37 AM »

When was this and in which competition?
I remember us winning a final (I think NW flloodlit league) in about 1973 at Buxton.
I also remember going to Buxton on a bitterly cold saturday in the early 70's, the day Tommy Docherty's United played a friendly against Rangers at OT, and it was actually warm in Alty that day but snowing and freezing in Buxton. I think I remember George Hislop being at that game when stood on a terrace behind the goal that had crush barriers (unusual for non-league grounds then). I think Alty won.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 11:17:07 PM »

When was this and in which competition?
I remember us winning a final (I think NW flloodlit league) in about 1973 at Buxton.
I also remember going to Buxton on a bitterly cold saturday in the early 70's, the day Tommy Docherty's United played a friendly against Rangers at OT, and it was actually warm in Alty that day but snowing and freezing in Buxton. I think I remember George Hislop being at that game when stood on a terrace behind the goal that had crush barriers (unusual for non-league grounds then). I think Alty won.

1973 it was......the first trophy I ever saw us win!

Peter Eales was in goals for us.He made his debut, having signed from South Liverpool, in the first leg of the final.Also making their debuts in that first leg were Gerry Casey & Joe Pritchard, both signed from Ellesmere Port.Three players making their first appearance for Alty in a final must be some sort of record......it was quite bizarre that they joined us after the end of the season but were able to play in the NW Floodlit League Final.

We won the first leg 5-2 & went down 2-1 at Silverlands.At 2-0 down in the second leg, things were looking a bit dodgy but someone grabbed a latish goal for us......possibly Andy Windsor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty International XI