Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Spurs v Alty: today is the 30th anniversary of our first meeting....
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Spurs v Alty: today is the 30th anniversary of our first meeting....  (Read 4932 times)

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Spurs v Alty: today is the 30th anniversary of our first meeting....
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 12:03:34 AM »

Not JT as we used to call him?

He was a great teacher especially at tech drawing.

He played rugby for a wales junior team if I remember correctly?

I hope he is keeping well?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 04:23:03 PM »

JT, yes. Played for Wales schoolboys in the 50's (didn't play with the greats but it was still quite a high standard as you might imagine.

He's fine, retired and living on the farm he grew up on in North Wales.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 06:39:14 PM »

Two of us  bunked off from MGS (missing last period) and took a train from Piccadilly to Euston.  And bless my mum - she picked me up from school to take me to Picadilly.  And provided a change of clothes so I didn't have to go to the match in school uniform!

I came back on the special train - which stopped for ages in Northwich station and certainly led to much hilarity and chanting from our carriage.

Jeff's equaliser may well be my favourite Alty moment of all time!

Dougals Dad

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 11:08:06 PM »

Two of us  bunked off from MGS (missing last period) and took a train from Piccadilly to Euston.  And bless my mum - she picked me up from school to take me to Picadilly.  And provided a change of clothes so I didn't have to go to the match in school uniform!

I came back on the special train - which stopped for ages in Northwich station and certainly led to much hilarity and chanting from our carriage.

Jeff's equaliser may well be my favourite Alty moment of all time!

Management Guru Squad?

thegazelle

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 09:43:37 AM »

can remember being highly delighted it was called off on the saturday as i couldnt go but this meant i had to get a ticket on the day and unfortunately 3 of us ended up in a section full of spurs fans. they took the piss and then became condescending the educated ones then realised they were in a game  and then became decidedly hostile by the end. i recall one lad who was with his grandad being told that he would see at least 10 goals by spurs by the end the lad was cheeering for alty. best ever vandyke esque cockney impersonation to buy 4 cans of long life and 10 embassy in an offy full of spurs nutters.
train was 4.00am getting back and we nearly got battered by a train load of scousers at crewe.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 11:09:51 AM »

i think everyone went on the train becausethere was no petrol to be had anywhere- a man i knew who drove to all away games came on the train with us (more of him later)
gazelle is quite right that at crewe we stopped opposite a trainful of liverpool fans who proceded to try to get at us by crawling through the windows!
i remember walking to the ground and being good naturedly jeered by spuds fans outside some pubs.
when we got to the ground we walked up the steps and realised we were the first in, so me and my brother stepped out onto this empty floodlit patch of concrete and it felt like the whole ground turned to look at us (i'm sure they didnt but thats how it felt)
i remember kingy smacking ardiles at the start and being really pleased at how well we were playing.
does anyone else remember the chelsea fans in the back of our section? there were a few spuds in there looking for easy pickings and they were dealt with by the chelsea fans
i was standing right at the back and when jeff scored it all went a bit bonkers and i found myself up against the fence at the front with no idea how i got there. i dont think any goal before or since has been celebrated quite so wildly
walking back to the train was horrible. where was all that good natured banter now? we started off walking behind a police van but when a couple of lads got picked offand the police didnt seem to care i split off with a lad from school and tried to blend. that was a bit difficult as people from the north looked different to londoners then. gazelle is right that there were a lot of awful cockney (australian) accents that night. after a series of scares we found our way back to the station and just needed to get accross the road to safety when the fella mentioned above that always drove noticed me accross the road and waved and shouted at the top of his voice 'hey jimmy, great result eh?'  i have never run so fast in my life...
dont remember anything about coming home at all
its such a pity that there wasnt any proper coverage of the game as it would be lovely to see what really happened
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Spurs v Alty: today is the 30th anniversary of our first meeting....