PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 close season entertainment part one
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: close season entertainment part one  (Read 4523 times)

taxi Phil

Re: close season entertainment part one
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 07:46:31 PM »

So, so many to choose from. Some obvious contenders already mentioned, Sheff Utd, Brum, the 4-1 Barnet game, but for sheer drama and atmosphere I'm gonna go for FA Cup 2nd rnd replay at home to York 4-3 when Whitbread bagged a brace.
Good pick Uncle G ! You can add that one to MY two earlier choices. It was one hell of a night.

one hell of an afternoon on a technicality there phil for some reason it was replayed on a saturday afternoon (.iirc)

i claim penmanship of the song ""we'll only score again"" at that fixture
So it was ! Something to do with power cuts ?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 12:20:47 AM »

So, so many to choose from. Some obvious contenders already mentioned, Sheff Utd, Brum, the 4-1 Barnet game, but for sheer drama and atmosphere I'm gonna go for FA Cup 2nd rnd replay at home to York 4-3 when Whitbread bagged a brace.
Good pick Uncle G ! You can add that one to MY two earlier choices. It was one hell of a night.

one hell of an afternoon on a technicality there phil for some reason it was replayed on a saturday afternoon (.iirc)

i claim penmanship of the song ""we'll only score again"" at that fixture

So it was ! Something to do with power cuts ?

No, it was caused by numerous postponements due to a cold snap and either a frozen or waterlogged Moss Lane pitch.

Alty didn't play a match between the original FA Cup Second Round fixture at York City on (a freezing) Saturday, 12th December 1981 and the replay at Moss Lane on Saturday, 2nd January 1982.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 09:59:35 AM »

The game is always think of when this topic comes up is the second FA Cup win at Blackpool.

A great, proper FA cup tie with a superb late winner. And Gary Anderson went absolutely beserk after he scored, which was a lot of fun.

York Alty

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 10:42:48 PM »

The game is always think of when this topic comes up is the second FA Cup win at Blackpool.

A great, proper FA cup tie with a superb late winner. And Gary Anderson went absolutely beserk after he scored, which was a lot of fun.

good shout that.  It was double taking the piss when we did them second time running.  I had a small bet on with a blackpool fan that ran a butchers stall on Preston market that we'd win.  Got myself a couple of pounds of mince...

HAPPY DAYS

Kingys Beard

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 04:05:54 AM »

Rotherham...the second time.  ;D  I think it's because they were arguably the best league side we ever actually beat in the FA Cup.  We had to be really good to win that day, and we were.  Oh! and Barry Howard's goal - still get shivers thinking about it :o

taxi Phil

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 08:20:44 AM »

Rotherham...the second time.  ;D  I think it's because they were arguably the best league side we ever actually beat in the FA Cup.  We had to be really good to win that day, and we were.  Oh! and Barry Howard's goal - still get shivers thinking about it :o
Not my favourite game, but unarguably one of our greatest performances.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 close season entertainment part one