PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 close season entertainment part one
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: close season entertainment part one  (Read 4521 times)

thegazelle

« on: June 02, 2011, 07:32:55 PM »

What is your favourite ever alty match.

if you exclude wembley 78 which is without doubt no 1 and then everton and tottenham liverpool which speak for themselves

After lots of thinking i am going to go for Alty v southport in the FA cup 1978 4-3 , great game last minute winner .
 they had only just come down from the league and had a big following but we had more "" youths"" out on the day and for once in our lives we were kings in our own ground. packed golf road in full song. probably well over 3,000 in the ground. the moment when jeff johnson gets the winer is still imprinted in my drunken mind

bumble

Re: close season entertainment part one
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:14:11 PM »

Home:
Gateshead at home coming from a goal behind to win? 3-2  I think
Sailsbury  5-0
 barrow at home was pretty special - this season the atmosphere was brilliant

Away
r/d away this season and coburn keeping us in it
Mansfield away this season (first away league win I've seem)
rDarlington away was up there - despite going in the wrong end, radio robins failing, and somebody  eating my chocolate fingers! Cracking day out - that photo is an amazing photo (the players celebrating one)

However Grismby will take some beating - us knowing the results in commentary and seeing the news slowly filter through to the away end, Marc josephs celebration, the what if's? On the way home, the thought at ht that we were down

I'm going to say Grimsby away, and barrow at home

Still waiting on that FA cup run or Fa trophey run (or this seasons play off final win) !

Dougals Dad

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:25:53 PM »

Home:
Gateshead at home coming from a goal behind to win? 3-2 
I think
Sailsbury  5-0
 barrow at home was pretty special - this season the atmosphere was brilliant

Away
r/d away this season and coburn keeping us in it
Mansfield away this season (first away league win I've seem)
rDarlington away was up there - despite going in the wrong end, radio robins failing, and somebody  eating my chocolate fingers! Cracking day out - that photo is an amazing photo (the players celebrating one)

However Grismby will take some beating - us knowing the results in commentary and seeing the news slowly filter through to the away end, Marc josephs celebration, the what if's? On the way home, the thought at ht that we were down

I'm going to say Grimsby away, and barrow at home

Still waiting on that FA cup run or Fa trophey run (or this seasons play off final win) !

I've seen two late penalty come backs against Gateshead - both great - and the 4-1 FA Cup win at Lancaster.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »

Deffo with the Gazelle on that amazing Southport game, real drama and theatre as we went 2 down came back to 3-2, then as their lot were flooding out they scored, dead late, in they all came again just in time for us to smash the winner in. Great atmosphere that day.

Otherwise, Sheff Utd home, a comprehensive drubbing of a side flying in Div 4, but as a new supporter and younger I'd say the first time I saw us beat a league side, Hartlepool 2-0, first time I'd seen a singing chanting crowd at ML, first time of seeing proper trouble when a Hartlepool fan hurled a rock at the side glazing of the main stand while being chased around the ground, a new world that day that made me realise that Alty were proper football unlike what my Utd and City schoolmates had said.....probably kids who never went.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Jezza

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:12:42 PM »

The 4-1 drubbing of Barnet.

My favourite run of games was the play off trilogy...what a time to be a proud alty fan.

taxi Phil

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 10:18:57 PM »

Definitely the Sheffield United match, also the Chester game when Clive Freeman scored his wonder goal and put the club firmly on the map.

seasonticket

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 08:52:51 AM »

For me it has to be "The Seige of Belle Vue" Doncaster.
They charged stupid prices for everthing, car park, programme, entrance etc and than for 89 mins and 30 seconds camped in our penalty area. Or that was what it seemed like, AND WE WON 1-0.
The Donny players, staff and fans were suitably disgruntled.

York Alty

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 12:06:27 AM »

soo many to choose from.

Belle Vue was fantastic, Liverpool & Spurs away were amazing. But for me I am going for the Day that Must not be Mentioned, our win at St. Andrews against top-flight Birmingham City.

It was all there - postponements, own goals, David Seaman in goal for them, one down, two one up....BELTING!!!!!

but  sssshhhhh.  don't mention it yeah.  Let's not upset the BBC, ITV or SKY with some footballing history that predates the premier league.

sshhhhh now...

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 12:59:10 AM »

So many but selected highlights would be...

1. Alty 3-0 Macc in a FAC 4QR in October 1990. The first time I ever saw us beat the milkmen and in a big cup match wth cracking atmosphere to boot.
2. Alty 9-2 Merthy later that same season, nuff said.
3. Alty 2-0 Chester, 'FREEMAN, THAT'S WHAT HE CAN DO'
4. Southport, Wigan and then Spurs in the FA Cup run of 94-95, all three fantastic matches, drama, incident, someday we'll get a cup run like that again
5. Alty 4-3 Rushden, possibly the only game I would want to recall from the ill fated 96-97 season. There had been sooooo much hype about them before the season started (just like Crawley last year) and how with their spending power they were going to blow the league out of the water, to get a back from behind win on the opening day and then give the finger at their fans massed on the Chequers end was a great feeling ;D
6. Alty 2-1 Gainsborough in the Unibond League Cup Final of 97-98 at Chesterfield, proper big game atmosphere even though it was a tinpot cup and we really got behind them from that terrace behind the goal, I'm sure Keith Russell must have scored. First trophy we'd won for a while too IIRC
7. Alty 2-1 Spennymoor, our first win of 98-99 after about 8 games when everyone expected us to walk the Unibond, it was jammy but kickstarted the season that lead to the Unibond title
8. Doncaster 0-1 Alty in Sep 99, just because anyone who was there in our end will never forget the sheer comedy of that night.

Going into the noughties coincided with me moving away and going to University which happily also coincided with some of our crappest days of the recent past so 2000-2004 is hazy. I'll do the more recent stuff soon.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 02:00:48 AM »

So, so many to choose from. Some obvious contenders already mentioned, Sheff Utd, Brum, the 4-1 Barnet game, but for sheer drama and atmosphere I'm gonna go for FA Cup 2nd rnd replay at home to York 4-3 when Whitbread bagged a brace.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

taxi Phil

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 09:30:55 AM »

So, so many to choose from. Some obvious contenders already mentioned, Sheff Utd, Brum, the 4-1 Barnet game, but for sheer drama and atmosphere I'm gonna go for FA Cup 2nd rnd replay at home to York 4-3 when Whitbread bagged a brace.
Good pick Uncle G ! You can add that one to MY two earlier choices. It was one hell of a night.

York Alty

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 11:33:41 AM »

as a mere whipper-snapper at the time I assumed that Alty won all these games like that.  I knew we'd win. 

thegazelle

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 12:22:46 PM »

Good pick Uncle G ! You can add that one to MY two earlier choices. It was one hell of a night.

one hell of an afternoon on a technicality there phil for some reason it was replayed on a saturday afternoon (.iirc)

i claim penmanship of the song ""we'll only score again"" at that fixture

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 02:21:34 PM »

I remember a bit of a tricky moment after the Sheff utd game. Myself and mate were heading back to Sale (Dane rd ) and as such left the ground sharpish on the final whistle otherwise we would miss the train and have to wait another half hour. What this meant was that we wouldn't get back to Sale CC where we drank then because if not in by 10:30 you were not in at all, and the doors were locked and in those days they served till the last one went home.

We hot footed it down Moss Lane only to be stopped by the police on the station who tried to force us onto a train on the Chester-Manchester platform, I assume a Sheff Utd train, as we had red, white and black scarves. I suspect looking back they may have been travelling S Yorks plod as our pleading that we were heading to Dane Rd seemed to make no sense. Eventually a few other Alty caught up and they seemed to get the mistake and let us go on our way. Thankfully we just made our train and subsequent lock in!
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 03:14:56 PM »

Sheffield Utd game has to be number 2, but top of the list must be Macc 1, Supers 6 at the end of 1967-8 season when we played the Champions (them) v the runners up (us) and utterly banjoed them at Moss Rose. I've posted at length about this some time ago so won't go into it all again but it was the ABSOLUTE BUSINESS!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team