PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Players to keep?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Players to keep?  (Read 7967 times)

Jenga

Players to keep?
« on: May 10, 2008, 08:42:41 PM »

I have thought about this alot recently and wonder what peoples opinions are of which players we should try to keep next season. Please only post names of the players you would like to keep as posting ones you dont like could be detrimental, so really that would go for not commenting on other peoples opinons as well, just the names is good.

Well here goes for my players to keep.

Coburn
Acton
Young
Lawton
Little
Senior
Lane

louise1925

Re: Players to keep?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 08:45:38 PM »

Coburn
Lane
Peyton
Tinson
Young
Battersby
Lawton
Toulson (Is he ours?)
Senior
Little

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:05:58 PM »

add roca and oneill only as squad players

Reading Robin

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 09:12:25 PM »

Acton
Coburn
Lane
Young
Peyton
Battersby
Lawton
Roca
Little
Senior
O'Neill

All worth keeping for me, as i can't see us realistically being able to sign enough players to replace O'neill and Peyton; Roca and Battersby still deserve a chance.  The loan players were generally impressive so expect to see a few of them in from the start.   Even if we could sign 10 players it wouldnt be good for teamwork and learning to play together.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 09:21:51 PM by Reading Robin »

markecky

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 09:13:44 PM »

Coburn
Little
Young
Senior for the bench

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 09:33:37 PM »

I agree with what  ecky says above,but also Id keep robbie lawton for his running (as long as he isnt put on the f**king wing).Barring that I'd rip up the side and start again if its possible. It took us ten attempts to win a league game at the start of last season, we simply were not good enough,and had only won 3 by christmas. That cannot happen again, ok things improved slighly after christmas, but not enough to ensure survival.This year has been one of the most trying years in all my time watching the club, and that includes through the dark days of unibond football. The defence were left totally exposed by a non-exsistant midfield on many an occasions,we collapsed on too many occasions, Exeter home, Salisbury away, nuneaton away spring to mind. We had no width, little pace and a general lack of quality or ability in a lot of areas.Now Im sorry if that upsets some people,but thats my brutal opinion, and we need to go back to the drawing board,rebuild a decent side and sign the following at least

1 x left Back
1 x centre back
2 x quaity multi role midfielders
1 x midfield f**king lunatic (in the carmody, hussin mold which we desperately missed this year)
2 x pacey wide men (or one if they can play both flanks)
1 x target man
1 x striker

markecky

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 09:37:31 PM »

Warren Peyton has made it on to two of the lists.

Being fit cannot be a credential for playing for Alty next year.  Dwain Chambers is fit.

Jenga

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 09:56:24 PM »

Dwain Chambers is fit.

Personally I find Ulrika Johnson fit not Dwain Chambers but if men are your sort please feel free dont let me stop you !!!

Lew Needham

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 09:56:48 PM »

Totally agree with Ecky & Hughes there is only a handful of players who are worth keeping. I would keep Robbie as when he's on form and he's confidence is high he is a decent player. However, we need to move on from wanting to keep players cos they can run for 90 mins or are loyal to the club. Obviously they are decent qualities to have but above all the players need to have decent technical ability and be more intellignet on the ball instead of just giving it straight back to the opposition.

Need some freshness in the squad. I am quietly confident that we may avoid a relegation battle this year but we need to change the mentality of the club which seems to be that every other team is better than us so we'll just play really rigid and defensively. We need to be more positive and have a real go at teams, especially at home, in our first season back in the conference "little, potts and Robinson" were capable of opening teams up and putting them on the back foot. I really believe that Graham can find a couple of these players. But the question is if he does will he play them all from the start and in their natural positions. I hope really hope so.....

Onwards and upwards!!!!!!l
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 10:10:49 PM by Lew Needham »

VofD

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 10:06:25 PM »

Totally agree with Ecky & Hughes there is only a handful of players who are worth keeping. I would keep Robbie as when he's on form and he's confidence is high he is a decent player. However, we need to move on from wanting to keep players cos they can run for 90 mins or are loyal to the club. Obviously they are decent qualities to have but above all the players need to have decent technical ability and be more intellignet on the ball instead of just giving it striaght back to the opposition.

Need some freshness in the squad. I am quietly confident that we may avoid a relegation battle this year gbut we need to change the mentality of the club which seems to be that every other team is better than us so we'll just play really rigid and defensively. We need to be more positive and have a real o at teams, especailly at home, in our first season back in the conference "little, potts and Robinson" were capable of opening teams up and putting them on the back foot. I really believe that Graham can find a couple of these players. But the question is if he does will he play them all from the start and in their natural positions. I hope really hope so.....

Onwards and upwards!!!!!!l

Retain :
Coburn
Lane
Young
Little
Lawton
and get rid of the rest.
Also, let's banish the word "CONTAINMENT" FOR SEASON 2008-9.

altyf

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 10:33:53 PM »

Coburn, Lane, Little, Senior, Tinson, Young...I'd like to have a proper look at Roca in a friendly...

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 10:44:33 PM »

Coburn, Lane, Young, Lawton, Little, Senior and O'Neill.

Not sure about Toulson or Battersby, but after that sorry you've got to go.
Full time and proud of it

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 12:09:02 AM »

I agree with what  ecky says above,but also Id keep robbie lawton for his running (as long as he isnt put on the f**king wing).Barring that I'd rip up the side and start again if its possible. It took us ten attempts to win a league game at the start of last season, we simply were not good enough,and had only won 3 by christmas. That cannot happen again, ok things improved slighly after christmas, but not enough to ensure survival.This year has been one of the most trying years in all my time watching the club, and that includes through the dark days of unibond football. The defence were left totally exposed by a non-exsistant midfield on many an occasions,we collapsed on too many occasions, Exeter home, Salisbury away, nuneaton away spring to mind. We had no width, little pace and a general lack of quality or ability in a lot of areas.Now Im sorry if that upsets some people,but thats my brutal opinion, and we need to go back to the drawing board,rebuild a decent side and sign the following at least

1 x left Back
1 x centre back
2 x quaity multi role midfielders
1 x midfield f**king lunatic (in the carmody, hussin mold which we desperately missed this year)
2 x pacey wide men (or one if they can play both flanks)
1 x target man
1 x striker

Aside from those minor glitches outlined by Hughesy though, I thought that our tactics were pretty spot on last season and we played some great stuff......

Seriously, I seem to recall we were told last Summer that the time for sentiment regarding the retention of certain players had passed.
Alas, it hadn't.
This time, it needs to be the case.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

thegazelle

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 03:52:58 AM »

Coburn
Lane
young
Lawton
Little
Senior

i am afraid the rest will probably be a succesion of loan players would love to have the ilk of shotton and king

i never well almost never knock players but peyton for all his effort just doesnt have it for
roca the jury still out
battersby sorry didnt do it for me

but then again what do i know other than the fact the from the 15+ games i managed to get to (sorry i would do more if i could but i would end up like halifax if i didnt )

We need that backbone of every ggod side so spend on it

keeper( yep)
centre half (possibly youngy)
midfield general ( no and havent since we made the conference as val and eddie injured too much)
forward/ target man ( not had one for years)

we should thenprobably need  look at loan options to fill the rest

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 09:18:08 AM »

I would very much loan players are only looked at well in to the season , they wouldnt be there for the pre season -a big clear out is needed.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Players to keep?