News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Living in a dreamworld.....

Author Topic: Living in a dreamworld.....  (Read 3194 times)

Longman

« on: October 14, 2008, 11:35:34 AM »

As we all know we're currently sitting pretty at 9th in the league after this great little run of form and results, know I know as much as the next fan that come the end of the season we will more than likely be scrapping to stay in the league and that this kind of winning run won't continue.

HOWEVER.......

What if it does?  What if we can avoid major injuries and carry out fighting and out playing teams and keep picking up points?  What if by the end of the season we actually creep into the playoffs?

Football is a funny old game and you never know, stranger things have happened!

Ok i'll wake up now...................

tomalty

Re: Living in a dreamworld.....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 11:38:04 AM »

I couldn't agree more

It is a reality that we could be in the play offs come April

It would be a good scene and it would raise some eyebrows

COME ON ALTY

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 11:48:59 AM »

It's great to dream - that part of what football's all about - and I've been doing it myself about Alty for a good number of years now.

It's fine as long as you don't start to 'expect' too much and get arsey when the blip comes.

Cheer for the lads, hope for the best, dram of the play-offs but just be happy that, for the first time in a long while, we're able to look up for a while instead of over our shoulders.

Read Colin Little's comments in the paper (quoted in the main sit a day or two ago) if you need the voice of reason in your ears!

Having said all that, what if we DID get in the play-offs? :o*

*Get a grip of yourself, Saughall  ::)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

fuertes

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 11:49:26 AM »

Without wanting to piss all over your parade, I think it's very unlikely. Having said that, I think we have enough to have made ourselves safe with games to spare. We have a lot of tricky away games in the second half of the season, so any playoff push would require us to maintain our form in a difficult run-in. I'm just chuffed that we're well on the way to 50 points which almost always sees you safe in a league this size.

Jacko

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 11:51:24 AM »

Think the key to building further is to keep making the right decisions,

Heathcoate may not admit it but he's been making weird negative signings in recent years (backwards steps) eg james dean,peter thompson and even stranger tactical moves on the pitch bringing defenders on for strikers when losing,

now he's finally made a culmination of great moves eg Elam, Young, Johnson, Danyllk , And to top it off he goes and sures up at the back with Waterfall which imao could be the most vital one giving the competitions are now hitting us,

were winning the battle off the field as well as on it for sure, just look at some of the other clubs in complete dismay, i dont care if your team was training once a week you could stay up in this league with a bit of spirit the way it is.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 11:52:55 AM by Jacko »

Longman

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 11:54:54 AM »

Without wanting to piss all over your parade, I think it's very unlikely. Having said that, I think we have enough to have made ourselves safe with games to spare. We have a lot of tricky away games in the second half of the season, so any playoff push would require us to maintain our form in a difficult run-in. I'm just chuffed that we're well on the way to 50 points which almost always sees you safe in a league this size.

Don't get me wrong, I don't actually think we're going to get into the playoffs, if you read my post you can see that I think we'll be involved in the relegation battle at least until a few games left, the purpose of it was just a bit of fun and to say well actually if we did sustain this form then we would have a real chance!

It's a funny old game.

fuertes

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 11:57:28 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I don't actually think we're going to get into the playoffs, if you read my post you can see that I think we'll be involved in the relegation battle at least until a few games left, the purpose of it was just a bit of fun and to say well actually if we did sustain this form then we would have a real chance!

It's a funny old game.

Fair enough. It's good to dream. It would be nice to see us in a playoff spot for at least one week this season I have to admit!  ;D

Daycare Dan

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 12:44:31 PM »

You lot all talk rubbish - if this team does not win the league I'll eat my hat* - all teams in this league should fear the mighty Alty just like the old days  ;D

*I don't own a hat.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 01:30:57 PM »

You lot all talk rubbish - if this team does not win the league I'll eat my hat* - all teams in this league should fear the mighty Alty just like the old days  ;D

*I don't own a hat.

Already eaten it, I presume!  :D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Daycare Dan

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 05:07:29 PM »

Already eaten it, I presume!  :D

Yup, it was either the hat or a Wimpy burger at Watford Gap. No brainer really.

andrewflynn

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 05:35:07 PM »

sky is the limit at the moment.

Butty

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 05:37:52 PM »

Who said that we can't do that? Didnt we say that in 2004, and come the end of the season, we'd only gone and got promoted.

Jenga

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 07:40:14 PM »

You know what would happen, Alty would get promoted by the playoffs and Macc Scum would only go and get relegated wouldn't they - i can see it now hehehe.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team