News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty v Southport Trivia Questions

Author Topic: Alty v Southport Trivia Questions  (Read 1548 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: December 13, 2008, 12:21:07 AM »

(1) Name the Alty goalscorers in our last win against Southport at Haig Avenue;

(2) Who scored Alty's last ever goal in the Northern Premier League against Southport in 1979?

(3) Name the goalkeeper whose only appearance for Alty was in an away victory against Southport during the 1990s (that's an obscure one just for Brian Flynn!);

(4) Name the FOUR members of Alty's current playing staff and management team who have also played for Southport.

First prize for a set of correct answers: George Heslop will call round to your house and sing a selection of Christmas Carols....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Alty v Southport Trivia Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 11:54:56 AM »

Danny MCGoona, Neil Doherty, Neill Hardy

(2) Who scored Alty's last ever goal in the Northern Premier League against Southport in 1979?

???

(3) Name the goalkeeper whose only appearance for Alty was in an away victory against Southport during the 1990s (that's an obscure one just for Brian Flynn!);

???

(4) Name the FOUR members of Alty's current playing staff and management team who have also played for Southport.

First prize for a set of correct answers: George Heslop will call round to your house and sing a selection of Christmas Carols....
Come on Alty!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 12:42:08 PM »

One of these three is incorrect!

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 12:46:47 PM »

I thought that it was the game previously where Andy Allan and Carmo scored but you've jogged my memory here. We won 3-1 around xmas to take us to 30points  :o but we barely won after that and still got relegated - a note of caution there!

Iirc it was McGoona's debut. Now say what you like about him but he was hard to play aguiasnt particularly that day, a push it and run winger, he might be the fastest player I ever (just about) saw in an Alty shirt.

I think you're wrong about Doherty tho, our last goal was scored by the winger from Liverpool. I think his name was Paul Cain, good individual goal too, at the away end.

For no 3 I think this was the season we used a multitude of goal keepers 1991-92, I'll have a guess at a couple of names I remember Steve Berryman, Mark Davies, Andy Newell

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 01:05:18 PM »

I thought that it was the game previously where Andy Allan and Carmo scored but you've jogged my memory here. We won 3-1 around xmas to take us to 30points  :o but we barely won after that and still got relegated - a note of caution there!

Iirc it was McGoona's debut. Now say what you like about him but he was hard to play aguiasnt particularly that day, a push it and run winger, he might be the fastest player I ever (just about) saw in an Alty shirt.

I think you're wrong about Doherty tho, our last goal was scored by the winger from Liverpool. I think his name was Paul Cain, good individual goal too, at the away end.

For no 3 I think this was the season we used a multitude of goal keepers 1991-92, I'll have a guess at a couple of names I remember Steve Berryman, Mark Davies, Andy Newell

Answer to question (1):

14th December 1996
GM Vauxhall Conference
Southport...1
Altrincham...3

Alty goalscorers: Neil Doherty, Niell Hardy & Paul Cain.

Indeed it was the Alty debut of Danny McGoona.

Question (3)

No, wrong season!

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team