PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty v Man U - match thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Alty v Man U - match thread  (Read 10241 times)

taxi Phil

Re: Alty v Man U - match thread
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 12:59:38 AM »

Marc Joseph does indeed seem versatile, although his tirade at the Liner in the second half left me with something to mull over, a Rotherham fan posted on here that when the going got tough etc, we can't carry nobody

That worried me a bit too - though in fairness he didn't resort to "foul and abusive". James Smith's prone to it a little as well.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2010, 01:36:30 AM »

Marc Joseph does indeed seem versatile, although his tirade at the Liner in the second half left me with something to mull over, a Rotherham fan posted on here that when the going got tough etc, we can't carry nobody

That worried me a bit too - though in fairness he didn't resort to "foul and abusive". James Smith's prone to it a little as well.

Tirade ?.......don't think so
At the very worst it was a whinge......................."come on liner, do your job, that was handball etc etc"............not even worth a mention in my book........especially after the refs assistant who was stood less than 10 yards away, watched a United lad understandably protect his face from the ball with his hands and then allowed the ref to wave 'play on' when he should have at least raised his flag

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 01:38:25 AM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Alty v Man Utd match thread.
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2010, 07:41:05 AM »

Guy Branston signed for Torquay a few weeks ago. I just think with holidays etc it's that pre season, or at least pre season games seem to be starting a hell of a lot earlier. Apart from that there are players partners to consider, for example Stu's wife works in a school so there's no way they could've gone away til schools broke up.

joe

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2010, 07:41:13 AM »

Cissoko has gone back to france,his or rather his agents choice apparently.Nowland was tidy but offered little in terms of defensive cover.I think we need to sign holsgrove as a fourth forward and joseph for his versitility then throw whatever budget is left at a quality experienced tough centre back,guy branston is available,if not him,someone of similar ilk and we should be set.

Guy Branston signed for Torquay about two weeks ago

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2010, 08:23:05 AM »

I thought generally Alty played well against a good young set of Utd reserve lads... Alty wont come up against many (if any) better teams than that in the BSP ... A superb first goal by Utd which flew into the net (I didnt blame Stu one bit). There second was a deflection....

Alty certainly seem to knock the ball about a lot better now and have stopped lumping it forward from the back which is good to see.

our no 12 (Holsgrove)? was good on the left. Robbie Lawton impressed me as well.

Crowell. Denham, Johnson, Smith and Joseph also had good games IMO..

I did hear that Matty Crowell may have signed for us which is fantastic news.

My one concern is that we certainly a need a centre back.. James Smith is fine but I always get the impression that Robbie Williams needs someone to cajole and encourage him for 90 mins like Youngy did..  Smithy could possibly do that but I would still like to see another big imposing lad at the back..

Apart from needing to reinforce the centre back position (Sooner rather than later) I think we have the makings of a decent team.

having said all this I have this niggling worry in my head that next season is going to be one hell of a struggle..

I sincerely hope I am wrong....

Jenga

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 08:45:02 AM »

I think we may have found a centre back.

I think his name was Holmes who played in Nicky Clees shirt, I asked Stu who he was and he thought it was Holmes but not 100% sure.

He looked steady at the back, has good positioning sense and I think will team up well.

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 09:25:47 AM »

I was really impressed by Holsgrove on Friday but thought he was quiet last night, apart from a couple of good crosses in 2nd half. I like the look of Joseph still and although Crowell was quiet last night as well I'd still love him to sign.

Dale had some good touches again and is showing signs of returning to form. I think the key for him is Nick Clee being in the side as they were terrific against Tranmere. 

It was a good game and a good test for the lads with 2 weeks to go.

Totally bizarre to see Hernandez in the bar.

Bring on Wigan!

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 09:58:34 AM »

I was really impressed by Holsgrove on Friday but thought he was quiet last night, apart from a couple of good crosses in 2nd half. I like the look of Joseph still and although Crowell was quiet last night as well I'd still love him to sign.

Dale had some good touches again and is showing signs of returning to form. I think the key for him is Nick Clee being in the side as they were terrific against Tranmere. 

Bring on Wigan!

I hope Auntie Jen had plenty of Tequilla in stock ...

Pies will be the order of the day for the Wigan Game  ;)

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 10:20:04 AM »

Bring on Wigan!

I hope Auntie Jen had plenty of Tequilla in stock ...

Pies will be the order of the day for the Wigan Game  ;)

Yes, I have a feeling they will be big fans of our new cheeseburger pie!

Altyant

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 08:53:30 PM »

I think we may have found a centre back.

I think his name was Holmes who played in Nicky Clees shirt, I asked Stu who he was and he thought it was Holmes but not 100% sure.

He looked steady at the back, has good positioning sense and I think will team up well.

So that was you lol!!

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2010, 09:17:13 PM »

Tirade ?.......don't think so
At the very worst it was a whinge......................."come on liner, do your job, that was handball etc etc"............not even worth a mention in my book........especially after the refs assistant who was stood less than 10 yards away, watched a United lad understandably protect his face from the ball with his hands and then allowed the ref to wave 'play on' when he should have at least raised his flag

Maybe not a tirade as such but your missing my point.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2010, 10:40:58 PM »

Sorry Blackpool.........please do not think I am trying to be clever here, but what was your point that I am missing ?

You mentioned Marc Joseph having a go at the liner and said this gave you something to mull over.....what are your main concerns ?

I have seen very few players at Moss Lane of late who have not had a dig at the liner when they have made an obvious error
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

taxi Phil

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2010, 09:15:37 AM »

I agree that most players will have a go at the officials when an obvious decision is missed, but the problem as I saw it was that Joseph had three separate goes at the guy. True he never swore at him, but a pedantic official would be inclined at the third attempt to call the ref over.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2010, 11:42:41 AM »

Sorry Blackpool.........please do not think I am trying to be clever here, but what was your point that I am missing ?

You mentioned Marc Joseph having a go at the liner and said this gave you something to mull over.....what are your main concerns ?

I have seen very few players at Moss Lane of late who have not had a dig at the liner when they have made an obvious error

My point is that if a player unattached to the club is like this in a pre-season friendly, what's he going to be like at Luton when the goings tough infront of 7,000. It's already come from the horses mouth, A Rotherham fan, that he got the backs up of the fans there, its possibly someone we could do without as we can't carry nobody. After all that i still make the point in my original post that he looks an extremely good utility player, having played at left back, left of defence, right back and right midfield. Like Taxi Phil said after the second or third moan i just felt like telling him to shut up and concentrate on the game  :)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2010, 12:31:19 PM »

Thanks
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty v Man U - match thread