PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oldham match thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Oldham match thread  (Read 11543 times)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Oldham match thread
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2022, 02:40:01 PM »

I think we deserved more than one goal. Oldham played so deep the back five could practically shake hands with the crowd. The biggest beef of their fans seems to be that they are playing so defensive even against what they perceive as our leaky defence.

On a different matter the ground looked pretty full with 3500. I notice only Colchester and Barrow had fewer fans in the football league last night. It'll be a tough ask when we get there.

But in getting there, we will be promoted. Could easily shift another 500 - 1000 ST after weve won the title or gone to wembely
It's all my fault.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2022, 02:54:07 PM »

I think we deserved more than one goal. Oldham played so deep the back five could practically shake hands with the crowd. The biggest beef of their fans seems to be that they are playing so defensive even against what they perceive as our leaky defence.

On a different matter the ground looked pretty full with 3500. I notice only Colchester and Barrow had fewer fans in the football league last night. It'll be a tough ask when we get there.

But in getting there, we will be promoted. Could easily shift another 500 - 1000 ST after weve won the title or gone to wembely

The Oldham ends of the ground were packed but there still looked to be quite a few spare seats in the main stand & there was a fair bit of space in the corner of the GRE nearest the fan zone too. I think 5000 is roughly what the current layout could fit in it safely but if you got rid of all the scaffolding & redeveloped the Pop Side fully then it could be higher potentially.

andrewflynn

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2022, 03:08:01 PM »

The Oldham ends of the ground were packed but there still looked to be quite a few spare seats in the main stand & there was a fair bit of space in the corner of the GRE nearest the fan zone too.I think 5000 is roughly what the current layout could fit in it safely but if you got rid of all the scaffolding & redeveloped the Pop Side fully then it could be higher potentially.

Absolutely. That entire side is crying out to be flattened and redeveloped to modern standards, including the space behind the stand. A full-length seated stand similar to that of Chester's Deva Stadium (inc. media gantry) seems a reasonable target in the mid-long term.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2022, 03:20:09 PM »

The Oldham ends of the ground were packed but there still looked to be quite a few spare seats in the main stand & there was a fair bit of space in the corner of the GRE nearest the fan zone too.I think 5000 is roughly what the current layout could fit in it safely but if you got rid of all the scaffolding & redeveloped the Pop Side fully then it could be higher potentially.

Absolutely. That entire side is crying out to be flattened and redeveloped to modern standards, including the space behind the stand. A full-length seated stand similar to that of Chester's Deva Stadium (inc. media gantry) seems a reasonable target in the mid-long term.

With an area to stand up if required, I much prefer standing to sitting

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2022, 03:23:03 PM »

The post-match thoughts of Oldham Athletic's dejected manager:

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2022/october/25102022-unsworth-post-altrincham-a/
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2022, 03:37:52 PM »

A very honest  assessment by Dave Unsworth. He didn’t pull any punches and called it well. They also have a fantastic fanbase who I’m sure will still stand by them.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2022, 04:25:04 PM »

As a guide, Accrington built a 1,200 seater stand where that little side terrace used to be about 4 years ago and that cost well over a million quid.

Expect things to cost a lot more since then but something has to happen one way or another because our own ground is not fit for purpose at this level.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2022, 04:55:22 PM »

As a guide, Accrington built a 1,200 seater stand where that little side terrace used to be about 4 years ago and that cost well over a million quid.

Expect things to cost a lot more since then but something has to happen one way or another because our own ground is not fit for purpose at this level.

Yes, that was my point. To have any chance of survival, without a benefactor we would need to be able to accommodate crowds in excess of 5000 on a regular basis. We can just about do it at the moment as evidenced last night but it doesn't look pretty. The popside is the obvious one to develop because it will have least impact on our neighbours but if we have to surrender some of it to bigger clubs and put a sterile zone in it won't be used to its full potential.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2022, 05:01:44 PM »

fc United stand where there is a mixture of seats and terracing has been mentioned before as potential for the pop side

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2022, 05:25:33 PM »

This is the firm that redeveloped Salford's ground; currently building an impressive lengthways stand at South Shields:

https://www.stadiumsolutions.co.uk/news/stadium-solutions-constructing-cutting-edge-stand-at-south-shields-fc/

No idea how much something like this would cost.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2022, 05:28:14 PM »

I've got the euromillions on if you can wait till Friday? 🙏😏
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2022, 06:23:21 PM »

This is the firm that redeveloped Salford's ground; currently building an impressive lengthways stand at South Shields:

https://www.stadiumsolutions.co.uk/news/stadium-solutions-constructing-cutting-edge-stand-at-south-shields-fc/

No idea how much something like this would cost.

Same company that did Accrington's. Up to £3m according to reports but it will have boxes, hospitality etc. It's open already.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2022, 07:31:57 PM »

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2022/october/25102022-unsworth-post-altrincham-a/

Credit to PP - when we have a bad result/performance he has never been so dispirited and negative with his post match comments and always finds something to build on  - that ramble wouldn't motivate me in any way if I was an Oldham player.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2022, 07:54:38 PM »

Credit to PP - when we have a bad result/performance he has never been so dispirited and negative with his post match comments and always finds something to build on  - that ramble wouldn't motivate me in any way if I was an Oldham player.
Unsworth isn’t the solution because he’s part of the problem. Said the team needs replacing but it’ll take time. Not much of a rallying call.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2022, 09:17:28 PM »

I can't agree. After a defeat I find his tone of voice dispiriting. No disrespect. It must be crap being interviewed 15 minutes after losing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oldham match thread