PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oldham match thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Oldham match thread  (Read 11534 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Oldham match thread
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2022, 02:51:46 AM »

In truth, a pretty nondescript game of football which was illuminated by a superb strike from Chris Conn-Clarke.

After a bit of a shaky opening 10 minutes or so, we enjoyed plenty of possession but it was all rather pedestrian and we never troubled their goalkeeper.

The second half witnessed greater urgency from Alty and I thought that we warranted our victory overall.

An impressive turnout from Oldham (there were certainly some Latics fans in the main stand, too) but they were mightily disgruntled at the final whistle (and with good reason).

I thought that their approach was all very negative. They lacked any threat down the flanks and there was a persistent absence of creativity. John Rooney contributed next to nothing.

Having said that, I was encouraged to see a much more convincing display from James Jones alongside a solid Jake Cooper. The imposing Josh Lundstram stood out once again.

As our Radio Robins/media darling Laurence Howarth sagely mentioned to me after the game, for Oldham Athletic this evening had distinct parallels with that afternoon back in August 2013 when we demolished Stockport County 3-0 at Moss Lane. The relative depths to which they have plummeted in recent times were never better illustrated than by tonight's wretched experience for their travelling supporters.

Anyhow, I look upon this result as overdue revenge on their CEO, one Darren Royle Esq., for that utterly miserable and wet afternoon in Guiseley back in 1996 when I had the misfortune to watch him lumbering down the wing with all the grace of a wounded bison whilst wearing an Alty shirt, as we crashed out of the FA Trophy.

In the words of Morrissey: "Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely high court judges."

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2022, 08:26:48 AM »

Big result.
Defence looked more solid. Jones had his best game since returning.
Lundstram was outstanding and has been my MOTM for last 4 games that I have watched. Colclough worked so hard and covered so much ground.
Well done boys.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 08:32:14 AM by oneedham »

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2022, 08:27:11 AM »

First half was frustrating to watch. Time and time again both teams were happy to retain possession but had no desire to move forward quickly enough. It was dull. Second half I felt both teams tried to put that right but it was us with ideas, drive and determination. Lovely goal, one of very few moments of genuine quality. Great to see the ground buzzing.

Wrexham next, got myself a ticket.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2022, 08:29:23 AM »

Lundstram - Marriott will be some midfield.

Can't wait. Will take Marriott a bit to get going but will make us a much better team.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 08:32:48 AM by oneedham »

Knutty robin

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2022, 08:35:02 AM »

A good solid performance with a really good work rate.  I thought it was a strange decision to sub Jordan when we needed to retain possession and hold the ball up? Admittedly he may have been tiring but still the better option

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2022, 08:45:37 AM »

A good solid performance with a really good work rate.  I thought it was a strange decision to sub Jordan when we needed to retain possession and hold the ball up? Admittedly he may have been tiring but still the better option

Yeah, trying to refrain from being negative about Dinanga because he has improved a lot, but he has been poor in the last two games.

Think we need Jordan up top against Wrexham with Kaja out wide.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2022, 09:44:59 AM »

0-0 would have been a travesty tonight.
Agreed. To a great extent so was 1-0! Oldham we’re flattered with a one goal defeat.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2022, 09:54:11 AM »

Think we needed to be braver in the final third, however, I think the team worked really hard and learnt the lesson from Torquay game, with better closing down and clearing the ball when danger approached. Overall, we deserved the victory, and a great strike from CCC for the goal. Thought Marcus wasn't quite on it last night but had good work rate. Thought we regressed when Jordan went off, but he was tiring.

defensively much improved from Torquay.

Massive test on Saturday, but that result will give some confidence.

andrewflynn

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2022, 09:56:39 AM »

We controlled the game and were well worth the win, I knew Oldham were struggling but that was worst performance I've seen from any team in the league this season. I was surprised by just how flat and uninspired they were. Really glad that more people got to see the James Jones that some of us got to see last week, he was my MOTM last night and I really hope he continues to grow in confidence, although you can't begrudge it going to Josh Lundstram who is without a doubt our first name on the team sheet.

I won't get too carried away with this but it's a big result and it was refreshing to see us look solid throughout. I was waiting for a moment of madness in those last ten minutes.

Presumably Hulme went off because a big shift will be required on Saturday with lots of chasing the ball.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2022, 10:22:40 AM »

We controlled the game and were well worth the win, I knew Oldham were struggling but that was worst performance I've seen from any team in the league this season. I was surprised by just how flat and uninspired they were. Really glad that more people got to see the James Jones that some of us got to see last week, he was my MOTM last night and I really hope he continues to grow in confidence, although you can't begrudge it going to Josh Lundstram who is without a doubt our first name on the team sheet.

I won't get too carried away with this but it's a big result and it was refreshing to see us look solid throughout. I was waiting for a moment of madness in those last ten minutes.

Presumably Hulme went off because a big shift will be required on Saturday with lots of chasing the ball.

I honestly think we watch different games of football. Oldham weren't bad, just lacked any end product. It was us 5 weeks ago. They'll be fine, I think.

I thought a fresh Altrincham (having not played their 4th game in 10 days, or 3rd in 8) would have killed them off first half.

Frustrating that for 2 injury time goals (Torquay and opening day disallowed) we'd be comfortably top half.

It's all my fault.

andrewflynn

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2022, 11:02:05 AM »

I honestly think we watch different games of football. Oldham weren't bad, just lacked any end product. It was us 5 weeks ago. They'll be fine, I think.

I thought a fresh Altrincham (having not played their 4th game in 10 days, or 3rd in 8) would have killed them off first half.

Frustrating that for 2 injury time goals (Torquay and opening day disallowed) we'd be comfortably top half.

I'm more confident in our survival than theirs. I thought they were absolutely dreadful, as did their manager, who all but said it without saying it.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2022, 11:45:32 AM »

There was probably something symbolic for a lot of Oldham fans about losing to a team (and in such a negative manner) that's only down the road, has only ever been non league and has a fraction of support and resources. The booing during the match was noticeable as was the number of fans who walked out when the goal went in. The change of ownership hasn't solved the problems and there is a real toxic mood still. Great win for Alty all the same.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2022, 12:34:29 PM »

Just watched the highlights. Didnt think E. Jones was brought down in the box last but looked a foul on footage.
Full time and proud of it

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2022, 01:22:56 PM »

I think we deserved more than one goal. Oldham played so deep the back five could practically shake hands with the crowd. The biggest beef of their fans seems to be that they are playing so defensive even against what they perceive as our leaky defence.

On a different matter the ground looked pretty full with 3500. I notice only Colchester and Barrow had fewer fans in the football league last night. It'll be a tough ask when we get there.

andrewflynn

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2022, 02:21:30 PM »

There was probably something symbolic for a lot of Oldham fans about losing to a team (and in such a negative manner) that's only down the road, has only ever been non league and has a fraction of support and resources. The booing during the match was noticeable as was the number of fans who walked out when the goal went in. The change of ownership hasn't solved the problems and there is a real toxic mood still. Great win for Alty all the same.

There's a rot set into them unlike any other club in the country has probably ever experienced. They've not had a top half finish in any league since 2008/09. It wouldn't surprise me if the National League North is their eventual reset button, as per Stockport and York.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oldham match thread