News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Past memories of the Golf Road

Author Topic: Past memories of the Golf Road  (Read 2230 times)

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: June 22, 2023, 10:07:24 AM »

I was just remembering when the Away end was no more than a pile of compacted hard core covered with weeds and absolutely no terracing or crush barriers at all. You could feel the broken bricks sticking into your feet through the soles of your shoes.
Only a handful of teams ever used to bring more than a very few visiting supporters.  I remember that Wigan came to town in about 1974/5 with at least two coaches full of 14-18 year old denim and Doc Martin clad bovver-boys with scarves knotted around both wrists and their early arrival at Moss Lane led to the usurping of our regular domain behind the GRE goal.  I remember that they were generally a friendly bunch and so we set up camp as close to them in the GRE as we reasonably could.  When they chanted 'Wigan' they used to prefix it with 'Er' (sort of like Er-WIG-AN, Er-WIG-AN, a bit like some of our fans have taken to chanting 'The' AL-TY).  I think maybe a three syllable chant lends itself to be a more aesthetically pleasing sound.  Anyway...  back to the tale...
 Kenny came along and placed himself within the body of Wigan fans and he began to Zigger without somehow realising that he had joined the wrong crowd.  He drew plenty of laughter and a few rude remarks from the Wiganites before being ejected from their ranks whilst uttering ‘Steady on now!’

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Past memories of the Golf Road
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 10:43:47 AM »

When did we get the steps on the away end with wooden risers filled with reddish compacted stuff? Thought that was the early 70s (but obviously, could be wrong 🙄)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 11:21:08 AM »

When did we get the steps on the away end with wooden risers filled with reddish compacted stuff? Thought that was the early 70s (but obviously, could be wrong 🙄)

The mid 60's ? But I could be just as wrong !

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 11:29:47 AM »

Now you mention it I remember a bit about those steps.  If they are the same ones as I think then they didn't last long because they were too shallow and most of the red material was soon dispersed across the hillock leaving just a few remnants here and there.

The compacted red stuff was brick dust/chippings gifted from Jackson's Brickworks at Oversley Ford.  It has long gone now and its remains are under Runway 2.  You might remember the 'running track' around the perimeter of the pitch was covered with the same stuff.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 11:33:37 AM »

Used to enjoy watching the game from the top of there whilst waiting for the doors to the Red Robin Club to open just before half time 😂
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team