PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 anyone recognise themselves?
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: anyone recognise themselves?  (Read 7999 times)

taxi Phil

Re: anyone recognise themselves?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 07:46:30 AM »

Definitely Jeff Johnson. I was behind the goal a bit further back and it's bound to be John Murray's silver barnet urging us to rough em up no doubt. Most of our support in those days tended to stand on the touch line rather than behind the goals.
Agreed it's Jeff.....and I wouldn't have been behind the goal, as I quite regularly still aren't !

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 08:07:37 AM »

just to the left of the alty scorer......is that a young gazelle?...just inside the post?....I hesitate because he's not fighting anyone....

Pretty sure that is the Gazelle, think that's me next to him partially obscured by the post then Simon Arron.  Not sure if the tall bloke with the hat is Dave Fox or not.

He wasn't fighting anyone just then but if it's the match I think it is there was a fair old rumpus on the way out at the end.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 12:24:47 PM »

Definitely Jeff Johnson. I was behind the goal a bit further back and it's bound to be John Murray's silver barnet urging us to rough em up no doubt. Most of our support in those days tended to stand on the touch line rather than behind the goals.

If you were any further back you would have been out of the ground or on the coach ;D

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 12:29:56 PM »

just to the left of the alty scorer......is that a young gazelle?...just inside the post?....I hesitate because he's not fighting anyone....

Pretty sure that is the Gazelle, think that's me next to him partially obscured by the post then Simon Arron.  Not sure if the tall bloke with the hat is Dave Fox or not.

I think your eyesights going mate, that may well be Gazelle and you but its never Foxy and Arron

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 12:30:35 PM »

Before Cult tells us who it is, I'll plump for Barry Whitbtread.

I dont think that Barry Whibread joined us until the following season.
Plus if had been Whitbread the ball would have been over the bar even from that distance.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 01:24:35 PM »

I think your eyesights going mate, that may well be Gazelle and you but its never Foxy and Arron

It was a loooong time ago Jim  :-[
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

thegazelle

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 04:26:00 PM »

based on only about three memories of the day . it is not me . i remember missing a portion of the first half because we were in the bar and we came out and watched from the side at the opposite end to the moss rose. i was comparitively fit in those days and (well all things a relative ) and when we scored the first goal i jumped too high and went head first over the hordings on to the pitch landing in a dishevelled heap .

As for events post half time .. best not to mention it but there was a bit of a broohaha.

i also suspect it was not me as i was wearing a red and white bobble cap which served as a strainer for vomit and blood on the coach. yuk messy . dont know about Mr A but foxy was def there and the other sw and mr hall and about 20 others maybe including scottie ?.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:53:56 AM by thegazelle »

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 10:31:42 PM »

based on only about three memories of the day . it is not me . i remember missing a potion of the first half because we were in the bar and we came out and watched from the side at the opposite end to the moss rose. i was quite fir in those days and (well all things a relative ) and when we scored the foirst goal i jumped to high and went head first over the hordings on to the pitch landing in a dishevelled heap .

As for events post half time .. best not to mention it but there was a bit of a broohaha.

i also suspect it was not me as i was wearing a red and white bobble cap which served as a strainer for vomit and blood on the coach. yuk messy . dont know about Mr A but foxy was def there and the other sw and mr hall and about 20 others .

The more I look at this, the more I think that it's me!

Flynny & The Gazelle....separated at birth :o

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 12:27:09 AM »

Great find, Jezza.

Well, I was certainly present at that game, however, I was not captured in that photograph!

26th December 1978

Northern Premier League

Macclesfield...1
(David O'Neill - injury time consolation goal)

Altrincham...5
(John Rogers (2); Jeff Johnson; Graham Heathcote (pen) and Barry Howard)

Attendance: 1,105.

That looks like Jeff Johnson to me, in which case it was Alty's second goal after 13 minutes - described as follows in the Altrincham Guardian match report headlined "The Rout Of Macclesfield!": "Barry Howard crossed again for Jeff Johnson to head home."

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:38:31 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 12:34:06 AM »

And I would wager that was ex Alty keeper (but never played or us??). Mike Sherlock

Spot on, Bill.

Sherlock was actually making his Macc debut that afternoon and my notes state that Alty could have scored double figures but for an array of fine saves by him.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hamilton

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 08:29:38 AM »

And I would wager that was ex Alty keeper (but never played or us??). Mike Sherlock

No sh*t!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 anyone recognise themselves?