PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 anyone recognise themselves?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: anyone recognise themselves?  (Read 8000 times)

Jezza

« on: April 27, 2014, 07:31:40 PM »

just found this on google.....I think that's jeff Johnson?...surprising crowd for boxing day....I think under the S of S W Morley is my dad john murray's ring of white hair...it does look like big bill maybe next to him?....that really is a crap away following I'm sad to say...

And in the below picture, we have a picture of a Northern Premier League game on Boxing Day 1978. Altrincham score one of their goals in 5-1 win at Macclesfield, in front of a Moss Rose crowd of just over a thousand

Jezza

Re: anyone recognise themselves?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 07:35:43 PM »

another golden oldie.....sort of in between successes side...includes possibly the worst keeper ever outside of scotland

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 07:48:41 PM »

That was the Alty team I first remember when I started supporting them. Imagine that will be the 74/75 season. Recognise John Hughes, Stan Allen, Gerry Casey and others.

roytonmike

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 07:53:33 PM »

That was the Alty team I first remember when I started supporting them. Imagine that will be the 74/75 season. Recognise John Hughes, Stan Allen, Gerry Casey and others.
It's 75/76, Steve - featuring Les Rigby, the winner of the 'totally inadequate manager' award for all time.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 08:00:23 PM »

Who was the manager before Les Rigby, I cannot remember, but I do remember Andy Windsor was John Hughes' very brief strfike partner, left soon after I started watching, if I remember rightly.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 08:47:25 PM »

I dont recognise anyone in that crowd, apart from the guy in specs to the right of the post, who I think was our spongeman at one time?
I think the Altyer play is John Rogers not Jeff Johnson.
If it is the match I am thinking of, just before we played Spurs, I was at the game and remember being stood with Dave Baldwin around the area that photo was taken from. I think Gazelle and his mates were at that match.

That team photo was on the front cover page when we played 3rd Division Halifax in the FA Cup in 1975/6 season at the Shay speedway track. Didnt Rigby replace Roy Rees?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:49:07 PM by RedhillAlty »

York Alty

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 08:57:44 PM »

Just before my time. 

I like the square posts though, and is it my eyesight or is there a slight bend/bow in the crossbar?

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 09:08:05 PM »

I dont recognise anyone in that crowd, apart from the guy in specs to the right of the post, who I think was our spongeman at one time?
I think the Altyer play is John Rogers not Jeff Johnson.
If it is the match I am thinking of, just before we played Spurs, I was at the game and remember being stood with Dave Baldwin around the area that photo was taken from. I think Gazelle and his mates were at that match.

That team photo was on the front cover page when we played 3rd Division Halifax in the FA Cup in 1975/6 season at the Shay speedway track. Didnt Rigby replace Roy Rees?

I think that the sponge man that you are referring to may have been called Ian Robertson or something similar......although I don't think that is him.

I thought that Jezza had called the scorer correctly as Jeff Johnson but it certainly could be John Rogers......I am sure that The Cult will sort this one out from his match archives.

Great picture.....very well done for digging it out.

The turnout is poor but I have to say that looks typical of an Alty away following as I remember it in the 1970's......much better these days in my view.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 10:23:39 PM »

Before Cult tells us who it is, I'll plump for Barry Whitbtread.

Hamilton

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 10:52:26 PM »

Whoever tried to park the bus in front of goal made a pig's ear of it!

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 11:21:18 PM »

I am 90 % certain that is Jeff.  Definitely not Barry Whitbread as he did not ding til the following season. JR would have more bouffant hair

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 11:22:35 PM »

And I would wager that was ex Alty keeper (but never played or us??). Mike Sherlock

York Alty

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 11:27:40 PM »

bouffant !!

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 11:41:34 PM »

Definitely Jeff Johnson. I was behind the goal a bit further back and it's bound to be John Murray's silver barnet urging us to rough em up no doubt. Most of our support in those days tended to stand on the touch line rather than behind the goals.

Jezza

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 04:37:53 AM »

just to the left of the alty scorer......is that a young gazelle?...just inside the post?....I hesitate because he's not fighting anyone....
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team