PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Jackie Swindells legend RIP
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Jackie Swindells legend RIP  (Read 6130 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Jackie Swindells legend RIP
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 11:04:57 AM »

He was my hero when I was a little boy - the last time I saw him play for Alty I was six - I then went to live in New Zealand for 3 years.  I've recounted a number of times on here his last Moss Lane appearance for Radcliffe in the FA Cup. 

He had a profound influence on my life in many ways - here is just one example.  One Saturday morning in 1966, my dad took me to Tatton Park.  There was a heavy frost and like all boys under the age of 11 at the time I was wearing shorts.  I complained about the cold - my dad replied when you see Jackie Swindells this afternoon, he'll be wearing shorts but he won't complain about the cold.  I've never felt the cold since!  And that included the 0-0 draw at York in the FA Cup in 1981 where I was dressed in a t-shirt.  Thanks Jackie, because of you everyone thinks I am eccentric!

RIP the greatest Alty player ever!

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 11:19:49 AM »

You would have to go on a long days march to find goal scoring stats like this nowadays..

This was copied from the Legends site on the Alty website

When Altrincham opened the 1965/66 season it was with a revamped side which included Dewer, Reilly and Swindells from the previous season, supplemented by wingers, Clive Colbridge from Wrexham and Ronnie Taylor from Colwyn Bay, centre forward Pat Connelly from Colchester United, left half Frank Peters from Sankeys and full backs Jimmy Brown and George Forrester, also both from Sankeys. But, quite possibly, the most crucial signing was Les Campbell, the man responsible for engineering the chances for the 'All Star' forward line. This time Pye backed his judgement and stuck with the team without chopping and changing and they in turn rewarded him with an unbeaten run from the start of the season that only ended in the 5-0 Third Round FA Cup defeat at Wolves. The team finished as League Champions, losing only twice, winners of the newly inaugurated Macclesfield Floodlit trophy (forerunner of the North West Floodlit league), League Cup finalists and Cheshire Senior Cup semi-finalists. In all competitions Altrincham scored 189 goals with centre forward Connelly scoring 34 and wingers Taylor and Colbridge contributing 17 and 13 respectively but dwarfing them all was Jackie Swindells who scored 82!

PS I used to give Ronnie Taylor a lift on my crossbar to training at the bottom of Urban Drive (much to the annoyance of the trainers)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:21:43 AM by distancetraveller »

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 11:55:14 AM »

Wow, I was actually quite shocked to read of this. Sadly I never saw him play or met him, but I remember reading on here of his visit to Moss Lane last season and never expected to hear such news so soon afterwards. Can't add anything to what has already been said.

Thoughts are with his family and friends.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 12:07:56 PM »

If memory serves me well, when Alty played Wolves in the FA Cup (which they sadly lost 5-0) about 66/67 time The great man actually scored with what seemed a bullet header but he had in fact punched the ball into the goal.. Sadly the referee spotted it but us spotty 13 yr olds on the packed terraces of Molineux thought it was a goal...

Happy days..

65/6 actually ... you#re a year older than you thought!  :D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 01:45:27 PM »

I've never felt the cold since!  And that included the 0-0 draw at York in the FA Cup in 1981 where I was dressed in a t-shirt. 

then you are officially dead as that day was colder than the arctic

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 01:46:34 PM »

If memory serves me well, when Alty played Wolves in the FA Cup (which they sadly lost 5-0) about 66/67 time The great man actually scored with what seemed a bullet header but he had in fact punched the ball into the goal.. Sadly the referee spotted it but us spotty 13 yr olds on the packed terraces of Molineux thought it was a goal...

Happy days..

65/6 actually ... you#re a year older than you thought!  :D

43 years ago... it only seems like   ermmm 42 years ago
 ;) :D

Im 55 and counting .. Thats 27 less than the number of goals the great man scored in that season..

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 01:51:33 PM »

Wish i had the pleasure of seeing him play, RIP

I would echo this thought RIP
ParkINson's red and white army

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 02:34:35 PM »

I was lucky enought have seen him play , i was about 14/15 when we played at wolves .My brother Keith was mascot that season , we beat Rochdale in the game before ,if you look at the 1966 team photo you will see keith  sat in middle of front row, he was about 7/8 yrs old

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 03:04:20 PM »

I was lucky enought have seen him play , i was about 14/15 when we played at wolves .My brother Keith was mascot that season , we beat Rochdale in the game before ,if you look at the 1966 team photo you will see keith  sat in middle of front row, he was about 7/8 yrs old

I was  mascot in about 63/64 ish  Big John Higgins was the Captain. Tommy Banks was one of the full backs and Freddie Taberner was up front.. The first game I was mascot was at Skelmersdale and the groundsman had locked the dressing room door, I sat in the dugout for the first half freezing my nuts off.

Sadly there were no photos of my time as the mascot.. I always remember the ball was rock hard though

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 06:17:25 PM »

Thanks Jackie for all the pleasure you brought when i was growing up i remember the '7' at Chester reserves.My father remembers kickabouts with you in his lunch break and how you laughed at him when he went to kick the ball and missed and ended up on this backside,RIP and thanks
Harold

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »

My Grandpa saw Jackie play throughout his time at Altrincham and he has told me many stories of his goalscoring exploits and impact on the club. I feel privileged even to have heard such stories and it was a great honour indeed when I got to meet the man himself at the Birmingham 20 event in 2006. I am proud to say I got his autograph too.

RIP Jackie. Your memory will live on eternally at Altrincham F.C.
Come on Alty!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Jackie Swindells legend RIP