PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Jackie Swindells legend RIP
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Jackie Swindells legend RIP  (Read 6129 times)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: June 28, 2009, 10:28:36 AM »

Wish i had the pleasure of seeing him play, RIP
@AltyDaz

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

Re: Jackie Swindells legend RIP
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »

Simply the best.
The moment I touched Jackie's sweat soaked shirt at the end of the Alty vs Scarborough match in 1965 (FA Cup 6-0) was the day a become an Alty Fan.

What a season to discover the Robins...

Thanks Jackie...

Neverto be forgotten.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 10:43:57 AM »

I was not lucky nough to see him play but was in total awe of him when I met him. 

Even asked him for his autograph (at my age!!!) which he duly obliged and was delighted \ shocked that even fans of my age thought so highly of him and basically worshipped him.

Only 1 Jackie Swindells - ALTY LEGEND !

Dougals Dad

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 10:44:23 AM »

Terribly sad news.

I remember being told about Jackie by the dad of a friend of mine in Ellesmere Port. He used to watch his local club and had no connection to Alty, but still had such vivid memories of Jackie.

I doubt anyone will repeat his feats.

My thoughts to those closest to him.

markecky

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 10:49:36 AM »

Much debate on here as to who is a legend and who isn't...don't there is any debate on Jackie Swindells.

I only wish I could have gone into work on the Monday and told people of Jackies exploits on the Saturday.

RIP Jackie and my thoughts are with your family.

A real gent and a real legend.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 12:02:30 PM »

I think I missed him by one season, my first was 71-72. I was only a nipper but I soon heard all about the guy. I wish I'd had the privilege to see him play and score. A sad loss, thoughts with his family and friends.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 12:19:24 PM »

Fortunately I am one of the lucky (older) posters on this forum who got to see the great JS play and I have great memories of the man.

I was also fortunate to meet and chat to him at the recent Kidderminster game.

The bloke was a true gent in every sense of the word and will be missed by Alty fans of all generations

Condolences to his family.

Thank you for so many great memories Jackie.     R.I.P.

Ray

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 04:57:34 PM »

Condolences to family and friends.

Jackie is a true Alty Legend.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 05:09:44 PM »

Echo all the sentiments on here.

I'd heard of Jackie Swindells before I even started watching Alty.

It also formed a conversation of some no Alty watching people in the King George last week who knew of his exploits (before Michael Jackson selfishly dies and started dominating the headlines).

RIP Jackie, true gentleman and hero to us all.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 05:16:15 PM »

Probably the most remembered Alty player ever.
In the 60's there was very little TV coverage. So most people that watched soccer actually went to games and didnt rely on TV replays.
Jackie made such an impact that in the Altrincham area his name was mentioned in the same breath as Law, Best and Charlton (this was just before the Bell and Lee era)
It was also the first time Altrincham had a great team. Jackie got most of the accolades but we really did have a great tieam, although we werent competing in a national league.
I can only remember one other player that scored 84 goals in one season and that is Roy Race.
Jaclie was a well loved character in Alty and wont be forgotten.
Thanks for the memories Jackie - R.I.P.

Altyant

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 05:55:56 PM »

RIP Jackie

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 06:01:57 PM »

Reflecting back as these things make you do, the team I remember as a 9 year old  involved if I remember, Willie Mailey, Johnny Worth, Tony Broadhead, Denis Fidler, Brian Taylor, Merrick Corfield, but then I start to struggle. 1971-2, anyone out there fill in the gaps? Was John Ryan about then or was he a bit later?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Jezza

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 08:31:32 PM »

What a measure of the man that those who saw him play speak in awe of him and those who were lucky enough to meet the man in person describe him as a gentleman.

Legend is often overused un unworthy cases....for Jackie somehow it is almost not enough.

RIP the legend and the gentleman.

Having never saw him play my abiding memory will be meeting him and asking for his autograph like a star struck kid and being struck by his modest surprise at his status as God.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 09:41:15 AM »

I've not added to this thread earlier because I didn't know how to put into words what 'Sir Jackie' meant to me as an Alty fan.
I'm doing it now because I doubt I ever will.

He was our own ultimate superstar. We all loved him and the opposition were all scared s**tless when he had the ball.
He always seemed to be double-marked and despite not looking like it, was always seeming to find space to weave a bit of magic in front of the net.

I remember being at one game where he scored a hat-trick (I can remember which one - there were so many). I was sat in the stand courtesy of my 2 guinea junior season ticket. After he smacked another one in and turned round to milk a bit of applause with his trademark swagger, an opposition supporter said loudly to his friend, "I don't know what they see in that Swindells bloke. He contributes nothing to the game at all. All he does is score f***ing goals".

Even as a 15 year old I thought that was funny! But as a begrudging bit of praise from the opposition, and as an epitaph, it's not bad.

So long Jackie (Not 'Jack', by the way) you were the greatest 'Super' of them all. Thanks for all the goals and everything else you brought to my, and many others, football memories.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 10:45:55 AM »

If memory serves me well, when Alty played Wolves in the FA Cup (which they sadly lost 5-0) about 66/67 time The great man actually scored with what seemed a bullet header but he had in fact punched the ball into the goal.. Sadly the referee spotted it but us spotty 13 yr olds on the packed terraces of Molineux thought it was a goal...

Happy days..
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team