PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 2008-09 Expectations
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2008-09 Expectations  (Read 6123 times)

Jenga

2008-09 Expectations
« on: June 10, 2008, 12:24:13 PM »

I know we are a team who do not have too high expections and we should keep our feet on the ground and real according to the board. So here are expectations for the forthcoming season.

League Position - Top 10 Finish
FA Trophy - Semi Final place at least
CSC - Winners
FA CUP - minimum of 4th Round Proper
Being on Setanta - 7 times minimum

If anyone thinks my expectations are too high I challenge you to a dual !!!

Actually I hope for more or less league safety by Mid April, that would be great news, the cups can take a running jump except for the cash that is involved

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: 2008-09 Expectations
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 12:29:59 PM »

I know we are a team who do not have too high expections and we should keep our feet on the ground and real according to the board. So here are expectations for the forthcoming season.

League Position - Top 10 Finish
FA Trophy - Semi Final place at least
CSC - Winners
FA CUP - minimum of 4th Round Proper
Being on Setanta - 7 times minimum

If anyone thinks my expectations are too high I challenge you to a dual !!!
Actually I hope for more or less league safety by Mid April, that would be great news, the cups can take a running jump except for the cash that is involved

I'd settle for a league position with a -teenth at the end of it, being safe a couple of weeks before the end of the season and beating a FL club (preferably Macc or Chester) in the FA Cup ...

However I'm sure you know better than me so I'll agree with you!  :D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 12:30:57 PM »

With the squad we are assembling and the amount of time we have had to prepare this time I would expect us to stay out of the bottom 4 for the whole season and finish at least 6-9pts above it.

Narcissist

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 01:03:28 PM »

18th

Plenty of teams to fight with and we can improve our record against that nature of opponent. Think Lewes, Eastbourne, Barrow, Salisbury, Histon, Weymouth, and Woking will all struggle next season with a couple more like Histon and Kettering potentially around there too. We have to try to be better than 5 or 6 of these teams and clear of them by Christmas.

COME ON ALTYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 01:11:11 PM »

One of the major differences to previous years is that we have got the nucleus of the squad together now and know what league we're in. We were 'caught with our pants down' until the loan signings came in half way through the season.
That isn't going to happen this year.

Looking at other teams' sites, they all make us favourites for the drop. Well that's fair enough, they're entitled to their opinions.

However I'm very optimistic about the signings GH has made - especially if Brownhill comes in July - and with a street-wise, experienced centre back in the squad who's not slower than me, we could have a team that will surprise a fair few sides this year.

Here's hoping.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 01:28:19 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 01:15:30 PM »

3rd!  ;D

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 01:25:43 PM »

a win at Websfeet would be nice!

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 01:32:44 PM »

Oh come on.. 'We'll never play them again" ???? So lookin forward to those two games, they are my new FGR !

joe

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »

I'd be happy with the last game being an end of season nothing match with nothing to play for rather than the nailbiting stuff of the last few seasons.

The Fan

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 02:50:48 PM »

The key to me is the approach we take at home. If we have a go at teams I am confident that we can stay up. 

Alty 3 Weymouth 2 and Alty 0 York 3 are better results than Alty 0 Weymouth 0 and Alty 0 York 0.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:47:37 PM by The Fan »

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 02:54:37 PM »

My expectations are to be able to watch a team of players giving it 100% in every area of the field in every game.

Using set peices to open up the oposition, and ensuring we look up before trying to distribute the ball.

One can only hope and pray.

ParkINson's red and white army

markecky

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 03:19:31 PM »

I want us to only be cautious against say the 6 best teams in the league.  The rest are fair game.

Always try to win at home with a 4-4-2, 4-5-1 away  unless its against the worst six teams in the league, then 4-4-2 and go for it.

I want to finish 18th and then build again.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 03:45:46 PM »

I want us to only be cautious against say the 6 best teams in the league.  The rest are fair game.

Always try to win at home with a 4-4-2, 4-5-1 away  unless its against the worst six teams in the league, then 4-4-2 and go for it.

There in lies the nub of the 'problem'. Hasn't GH already outlined his part-time tactics will not change or do we think he will do a u-turn with the new signings? I'll probably get peaked on from a great height for this post, but whilst I'm delighted with the new signings, I'm not going to go overboard with optimism either.

I'm hoping to be convinced I was wrong and the steps already taken offer some hope, but I am cautious.

With the team we are assembling I would hope we will be safe before the last day of the season......but didn't a lot of us think that last year?

UG (head daring to rise above the clouds, but feet planted firmly on the ground)
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Longman

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 04:03:11 PM »

The key to me is the approach we take at home. If we have a go at teams I am confident that we can stay up. 

Alty 3 Weymouth 2 and Alty 0 York 3 are better results than Alty 0 Weymouth 0 and Alty 0 York 0.

Such a valid point, I'd rather go at teams and win and then get stuffed the following week than eek out two draws.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 05:57:46 PM »

My hopes:

League: -teenth will do me

FA Cup: laying to rest old scores season: 4QR Stalybridge 0 Alty 2, 1R Accrington 1 Alty 2, 2R Alty 4 Macc 1, 3R a money tie

FA Trophy: Quarter Finals

CSC: It doesn't matter until the final - where we will put out the first team against Alsager Swifts and lose on penalties

Setanta Shield: quite frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 2008-09 Expectations