Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Were you at Rotherham United v Alty in 1979....?
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Were you at Rotherham United v Alty in 1979....?  (Read 4847 times)

Scottie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: Were you at Rotherham United v Alty in 1979....?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 07:05:23 PM »

Wasn't at the 2-0 win as I had just started my working days but was at the 5-0 thrashing a couple of years before. My mates Paul Burns and John Garbutt took a huge bedsheet with 'ROTHERHAM WON'T BOTHERAM' written proudly in 3ft letters!

Kingys Beard

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 07:51:32 PM »

Of all the games from the glory days, this is the one I'd most like to live through again.  Rotherham were really good...but we were even better.  A few, possibly faulty memories:

1.  I went on the train with my sister and what a great way that was to generate atmosphere.  Remember the chanting as we got out at the station - amazing.

2. I was really expecting us to lose after the 5 - 0 spanking a few seasons earlier but after about twenty minutes I realized we were in it.  Barry Whitbread had this excellent diving header that seemed absolutely goalbound and the Rotherham keeper made a brilliant save to his right.

3. Anyone remember Kingy bundling the keeper into the net Nat Lofthouse - style and claiming a goal?  Even the Alty fans were laughing at that one!

4.  I called Mal's goal!!  As the corner was being taken I said to my sister "You know, Mal's about due to score."  A moment later ecstasy and another Alty fan was asking "Who scored?!"  And I knew it was Mal.

5. Barry Howard's goal was the best I ever saw him score (and most of his were spectacular).  Graham Barrow brought the ball forward from a deep position with a trademark surging run, ball worked out to Howard on the right who proceeds to take on four defenders in succession, beats them all (one of them twice), all the while I'm screaming at him to send over a cross to Jeff Johnson unmarked at the far post, only he decides to plonk it into the top corner himself.  Poetry.

6.  I suspect the reason Stan Allan was so chuffed when Stepney made the penalty save was that it was he who'd given the penalty away in the first place!  I felt as if Rotherham were coming back into it and had they scored at that point we may not have won.  The chant of "Stepney, Stepney" which ensued was the loudest I ever experienced watching Alty.

The only thing about that day that wasn't perfect was the Third Round draw.  I think we'd reached the point where we expected a First division club every time.

Sorry if time has played tricks on my memory.  Rotherham were really good ... but we were even better.   

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 08:09:27 PM »

I remember this tie well, it was one of the best Alty Cup performances I remember as a 14 year old (blimey 30 years ago). My dad and I got the football special, it seemed to take forever to get there. We had stand tickets like Alty USA, only difference is I was at Bradbury.

Mals goal was blasted in on the half volley of a corner. I agree Barry's goal was the best I saw him score, that jinking run down the touch line and the curling shot from the edge of the box lives long in my memory. Stepneys save capped it all really.

Is there any VT of the goals etc?

Great Day and Great Times  :D

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 05:13:31 PM »

I remember this tie well, it was one of the best Alty Cup performances I remember as a 14 year old (blimey 30 years ago). My dad and I got the football special, it seemed to take forever to get there. We had stand tickets like Alty USA, only difference is I was at Bradbury.

Mals goal was blasted in on the half volley of a corner. I agree Barry's goal was the best I saw him score, that jinking run down the touch line and the curling shot from the edge of the box lives long in my memory. Stepneys save capped it all really.

Is there any VT of the goals etc?

Alas, any footage of Alty's win at Millmoor in 1979 has never emerged.

Sky would have loved us if they had been around back in those halcyon days!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

taxi Phil

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 06:21:56 PM »

IMHO this was one of our finest hours. Went over by car with my next door neighbour and his son, had a couple of pints of proper draught Stone's in The Moulders Arms on Masborough Street, and treated ourselves to the main stand. Rotherham weren't anywhere near as good as they'd been the previous time, and their supporters behind us gave them a real ear bashing. Two great goals, a decent stop from the penalty (not a great kick, but they still have to be saved), and no trouble that we noticed. Their outstanding player was the full back John Breckin, who I think may have gone on to Notts.Forest soon afterwards.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 11:56:53 PM »

Huge thanks to everyone who has contributed their memories of that day at Millmoor in December 1979.

In case anyone is still interested, the first article on that Rotherham United FA Cup tie is scheduled to appear in the Robins Review issued for the Kettering Town fixture on Tuesday, 16th March 2010.

Part II should follow in the programme for the match against Rushden & Diamonds on Saturday, 20th March 2010.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

2xpetes

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 08:25:32 AM »

I have the newspaper type programme in good condition.Would like to swap for Jeff Wealands testimonial brochure and team-sheet vs Everton 88-89.Cheers Pete

chrisrufc

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 09:56:39 PM »

their supporters behind us gave them a real ear bashing.

Some things don't change
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Were you at Rotherham United v Alty in 1979....?