Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Were you at Rotherham United v Alty in 1979....?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Were you at Rotherham United v Alty in 1979....?  (Read 4846 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: March 05, 2010, 06:00:56 PM »

So, were you at Millmoor for Alty's famous 2-0 victory there in the FA Cup Second Round on 15th December 1979?

Did you travel on the special train organised by the club?

What do you recall of:

(i) Mal Bailey's goal;

(ii) Barry Howard's goal;

(iii) Alex Stepney's penalty save?

All reminiscences of that day are welcome for two forthcoming articles in the Alty programme.

Many thanks, in anticpation.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jezza

Re: Were you at Rotherham United v Alty in 1979....?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 07:29:19 PM »

I can remember Stan Allen trying to have sex with Stepney when he saved the penalty and Stepney looking bemused....it was only Rotherham after all which for him would be like Stuart Coburn saving a penalty at Wilmslow Albion.

I think we fans were apprehensive after being tonked there 5-0 a few years previous but we were superb.

62vintage

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 07:58:30 PM »

I was there, but I went on the coach.
Mal Bailey`s goal was a cracker he gave the ball a right good thump and then Barry Howard scored to make it 2-0, both goals in the 2nd half. Alex Stepney saved a penalty near the end, right in front of our fans who celebrated not quite as wildly as Stan Allan!
There were a lot of fans from another Yorks side there supporting us and giving Rotherham stick. I might be wrong but they may have been from Barnsley.
In the last couple of minutes I was picked up by a huge local copper and told to stop swearing, I just said "Yes sir, sorry sir" and carried on singing quietly!
The 5-0 stuffing they gave us a couple of years earlier mad the win even sweeter.
Happy days. 

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:12:44 PM »

I thought Barry Howards goal was the better one. He cut in from the wing and fired it past the keeper into the far top corner, at least that's how I remember it.

The thing I remember most was that their keeper was the worst kicker of a ball I have ever seen. In the second half, Barry Howard was standing right in front of him on the edge of the 18 yard area to try and intercept his goal kicks.
I think after that they made one of the defenders take them.
I also remember that Stepney was on Match of the Day that night talking to Jimmy Hill. He said afterwards it was all the more special as Jimmy Hill had told him to retire years earlier as he couldn't get down to the ball fast enough anymore!!

Still one of my favourite Alty games!!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:51:09 PM »

I was on nights and thus was awake for 2 days solid. Had to drive there in my 'car' which was an ex post office viva van sprayed metallic blue!

The thing I remember most is the song we sung - well I sung with the three mates from work who came with me because I made it up! (which is the only way I could remember the goalscorers). There was a thread on here quite some time ago about who the scorers were and I found myself singing the song to answer the question.

The song?

Jingle bells, jingle bell, jungle all the way
oh what fun it is to watch the robins win away
(repeat)
Riding through the snow to get to rotherham
To see the super robins stick it up their bum.
Malcolm bailey scored, Barry howard got number two
And those super robins had rammed it up their flue

Oh jingle bells (etc)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

markecky

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 09:53:53 PM »

I was on nights and thus was awake for 2 days solid. Had to drive there in my 'car' which was an ex post office viva van sprayed metallic blue!

The thing I remember most is the song we sung - well I sung with the three mates from work who came with me because I made it up! (which is the only way I could remember the goalscorers). There was a thread on here quite some time ago about who the scorers were and I found myself singing the song to answer the question.

The song?

Jingle bells, jingle bell, jungle all the way
oh what fun it is to watch the robins win away
(repeat)
Riding through the snow to get to rotherham
To see the super robins stick it up their bum.
Malcolm bailey scored, Barry howard got number two
And those super robins had rammed it up their flue

Oh jingle bells (etc)

What a superbly politically correct Alty song!!

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 11:28:09 PM »

just sitting here with a smile on my face thinking about that game.
the fans of the other club definitely were barnsley, always had a soft spot for them since
not ashamed to admit i cried when stepney saved the penalty, the 5-0 had been my first fa cup away game and it felt really emotional to not just beat them but completely outplay them

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 03:27:47 AM »

We went on the train to Rotherham.  We were sitting in the main stand and I remember us going close early on and an old Rotherham supporter said "Sit down son, thats as close as you'll get all day".  When Barry Howard curled in the second after we'd finished celebrating I looked over and his seat was already empty!  As I remember, Mal's came from a corner that got half cleared and he thumped in the loose ball.   Barry Howard's was a beauty though.  Some will recall better than I as I was just 14 at the time but as he cut in from the right he left one of their defenders right on his arse before curling in a cracker.   The penalty save was right below us and it seemed poorly struck, Stepney just dropped on it.   We certainly were much the better team that day and as Jim pointed out I to had been at the 5 nil thrashing we'd had from Rotherham a couple of years earlier.  That made this game all the sweeter.  All in all a great day out.  Soured a bit as we got back on the train dreaming of a big club in the 3rd round only for word to go up and down the train that we'd got Orient.   Good times.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 02:22:37 PM »

i was at Rotherham and i was also there was it the season before when we got hammered?
Harold

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »

i was at Rotherham and i was also there was it the season before when we got hammered?
Thought it was '77 Harold, think it was when I was in 2nd year at Welly Rd.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 03:21:06 PM »

just sitting here with a smile on my face thinking about that game.
the fans of the other club definitely were barnsley, always had a soft spot for them since
not ashamed to admit i cried when stepney saved the penalty, the 5-0 had been my first fa cup away game and it felt really emotional to not just beat them but completely outplay them

Barnsley's scheduled FA Cup tie at Chester City had been postponed, so some of their fans turned up to support whoever was playing against Rotherham!

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 03:22:56 PM »

That 5-0 defeat at Rotherham United took place on 20th November 1976.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 03:29:34 PM »

chesteralty & altyusa,

You have been sent a private message re. your anecdotes.

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 03:34:53 PM »

Cult, I stand corrected.  1976 eh? 

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 05:13:24 PM »

Cult, I stand corrected.  1976 eh? 

Indeed, it was over 33 years ago.

That Rotherham match in 1976 was only the second FA Cup tie in which Tony Sanders had been Alty's manager.

Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team