PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Eleven men back 'defending' in our own penalty area
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Eleven men back 'defending' in our own penalty area  (Read 4589 times)

Longman

Re: Eleven men back 'defending' in our own penalty area
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2007, 02:40:21 PM »

Because non-league football doesn't need to be. I know it's not a new thing having full-time teams but generally it's what always set non-league apart from the football league. Football on the whole is a money pit, so why throw more down it when it's just not necessary.

Yeah I hear where you're coming from there mate, however it's something we've got to do isn't it, if we don't we are never going to become anything more than a yo yo club between the Conf nat and Conf North.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 06:54:40 AM »

I think this shows the ambition that the club has, and this is something the club is somtimes accussed of not having .. Especially on here.

All I know is that this will be a steady and well thought out process and nothing like what happened at Southport or any club that is now struggling ...

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 10:54:59 AM »

I don't know whether this team is better than the one we have had for the last two seasons-I suspect it isn't for a number of reasons,

I agree with that. I don't think we are as strong cos most of the players we brought in to strengthen the squad have (for assorted reasons, mostly injury) not done so and we have less strength in depth than the last 2 seasons.

Why do you 'suspect it isn't?'

My overall opinion for most of the season is that the team is not as strong as in the last two seasons, however the Nuneaton game was interesting because of the obvious gulf between them & the BSP teams that we play every week.The passion & team spirit that we have had over the last few years is clearly not as strong but it is quite difficult to compare the actual ability levels e.g.Eddie Hussin will go down in Altrincham history as the inspirational captain of the promotion side of 2004/5 but would he have been able to cut it in BSP......sadly we will never know.I saw players last week at Nuneaton who have not cut it for us at BSP level who looked much more comfortable against a BSN team that could get promoted this season.

We're not even half way through the season yet so a lot could change.......if someone had posted on here last Boxing Day that Joe O'Neill would have been our POTY last season, they would have been laughed out of sight.I think Graham is probably fully aware that it will come down to how well the new signings gel in the first four months of 2008.

louise1925

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 11:56:42 AM »

Team that came up:
Coburn, Aspinall, Adams, Talbot, Maddox, Eddie, Val, Potts, Scott, Thornley, Little
Team now (GHs preferred)
Coburn, Lane, Scott, Tinson, Munroe, Val, Sedge, Lawton, Peyton, Senior, Little

I think our present XI is stronger, but not by a great deal. Lane, Tinson and Senior are certainly quality additions.
I think that our promotion XI had more passion and drive, but not by a great deal. Lawton and Peyton give as much as any of the 2004 team, but we have lost Adams, Maddox and Pottsy.
In conclusion, I'm not sure how far we have progressed (in terms of quality and committment) since 2004. It's certainly no guarantee for success, but a move to semi full-time status MIGHT really help attract a better quality of player to the club, so that in 2010 we will be able to comment on a real difference.

Jenga

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 12:03:05 PM »

I don't know whether this team is better than the one we have had for the last two seasons-I suspect it isn't for a number of reasons,

I agree with that. I don't think we are as strong cos most of the players we brought in to strengthen the squad have (for assorted reasons, mostly injury) not done so and we have less strength in depth than the last 2 seasons.

Why do you 'suspect it isn't?'

My overall opinion for most of the season is that the team is not as strong as in the last two seasons, however the Nuneaton game was interesting because of the obvious gulf between them & the BSP teams that we play every week.The passion & team spirit that we have had over the last few years is clearly not as strong but it is quite difficult to compare the actual ability levels e.g.Eddie Hussin will go down in Altrincham history as the inspirational captain of the promotion side of 2004/5 but would he have been able to cut it in BSP......sadly we will never know.I saw players last week at Nuneaton who have not cut it for us at BSP level who looked much more comfortable against a BSN team that could get promoted this season.

We're not even half way through the season yet so a lot could change.......if someone had posted on here last Boxing Day that Joe O'Neill would have been our POTY last season, they would have been laughed out of sight.I think Graham is probably fully aware that it will come down to how well the new signings gel in the first four months of 2008.

I did and i was laughed at. :-)
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Eleven men back 'defending' in our own penalty area