PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Eleven men back 'defending' in our own penalty area
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Eleven men back 'defending' in our own penalty area  (Read 4590 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: December 23, 2007, 12:39:17 AM »

This regular sight seems to irritate the peerless John Laidlar.

He has raised this topic before (and even captured the phenomenon on camera at Forest Green Rovers earlier this season) and mentions it twice in his match report from Nuneaton:

(1) "But then Chris Senior forced a good, low save from Acton following good work by Logan (14 mins). Stepien now won Borough a corner for which Alty brought everyone back into their box."

(2) "Brown's shot clipped the cross-bar but the referee felt Coburn had turned it over the bar and gave a corner, which Alty again defended with all 11 men in their own box."

Why do we persist with this bewildering tactic?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

VofD

Re: Eleven men back 'defending' in our own penalty area
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 12:38:55 PM »

Because we have a clueless manager.

Jenga

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 10:01:13 PM »

VofD - should your name not read stfu?

But I do agree 11 defending is pointless. We either get in each others way or clear the ball ready for it to be pumped back down our throats.

JT

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 10:21:12 PM »

Because we have a clueless manager.
I think you have forgotten about the brilliant work GH has put in for our club.  We all need to get behind Graham again.  Surely Vics at home is a good place to do it.  The club needs all the support it can get, and this type of attitude isn't going to help is it?

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 11:42:21 PM »

Seems daft to me and allows more of the opposition to move forwards.

At least one should be there to pick up the clearance.

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 05:34:52 AM »

Graham's best work was getting Altrincham FC in the Conference North. We made the Conference play-offs despite an abysmal last day performance at Hucknall, then had some good fortune to make it to the final. We got into a league we've never had the budget or the players for, have played poor football for three successive seasons, and will be relegated for the third season in succession. Having a better/different manager might not have made a difference to the budget of the playing staff, but it might have made a difference to the way the team played.

VofD

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 12:40:42 PM »

U C

Spot on.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 12:49:30 PM »

What do you class as "Poor football" ...
I think we have had some terrible and poor results but that does not always mean its been poor football ?

I think we have played some good football this season (in patches) and have been unlucky and if we had taken our "First chance" then we would be in a totally different position .. Again its all if's, buts and maybes !

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 12:52:56 PM by gazwarrington »

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 02:41:21 PM »

poor football is better than bad football, but not as good as good football.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 05:22:44 PM »

Everything is about levels.Whilst we somehow contrived to lose on Saturday, the difference between Nuneaton, a top six BSN side, & the teams we face every week was marked.Apart from the obvious difference in physique & fitness levels, there was far more space in midfield & it was clear that players who have found life a real struggle in the BSP might shine in BSN.I don't know whether this team is better than the one we have had for the last two seasons-I suspect it isn't for a number of reasons, but I am convinced that the standard in BSP has improved & will probably do so again during the next season or two.

In summary,if we are improving, then we need to accelerate our rate of improvement & if we're not then we face a monumental challenge to maintain BSP status.The final outcome will probably depend on the impact of our new signings in January......& of course the same could be said for Droylsden,Vics,Farsley & Stafford.

Altyant

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 06:14:56 PM »

I think we have had some terrible and poor results but that does not always mean its been poor football ?

I think we have played some good football this season (in patches) and have been unlucky and if we had taken our "First chance" then we would be in a totally different position .. Again its all if's, buts and maybes !

Agreed we didnt play too badly in beating Aldershot 5-1 or, Cambridge 5-0

Dougals Dad

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 06:18:16 PM »

I don't know whether this team is better than the one we have had for the last two seasons-I suspect it isn't for a number of reasons,

I agree with that. I don't think we are as strong cos most of the players we brought in to strengthen the squad have (for assorted reasons, mostly injury) not done so and we have less strength in depth than the last 2 seasons.

Why do you 'suspect it isn't?'

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 10:50:21 PM »

Agreed we didnt play too badly in beating Aldershot 5-1 or, Cambridge 5-0

Putting five past your opponent says more about the way they played, not you.

Good to see though that some thoughts are beginning about how the club could move towards full-time. Not something i'm delighted about, but if Atlrincham are to compete at this level it's the only way to be unfortunately.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 10:53:34 PM by Unemployed Coalminer »

Longman

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 11:13:48 PM »

[/quote]

Putting five past your opponent says more about the way they played, not you.

Good to see though that some thoughts are beginning about how the club could move towards full-time. Not something i'm delighted about, but if Atlrincham are to compete at this level it's the only way to be unfortunately.
[/quote]

Why are you not delighted about going full time??

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 07:52:31 AM »

Because non-league football doesn't need to be. I know it's not a new thing having full-time teams but generally it's what always set non-league apart from the football league. Football on the whole is a money pit, so why throw more down it when it's just not necessary.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team