PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 So who stays and who goes?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So who stays and who goes?  (Read 5792 times)

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:57:38 PM »

I think today proved that we are very close to being the genuine article. I thought that after the goal we were the better team and we could have easily drawn, maybe even won the game.
We are just missing that extra bit of confidence in midfield that some teams in this league seem to have,  with the result that we give the opposition too much respect and give away soft goals. When we have to come forward at the end of a game like today we have shown that we are able to take players on and beat them, something we don't do at the beginning of games, resulting in some very good chances being created.
 Remember Wrexham and Wimbledon at home?? Like today we gave teams that were no better than us easy goals and then created chances at the end that almost got us back into the game.

With Tom, Dale and Matty hopefully coming back at the beginning of next season, I think wholesale changes aren't required. Two or three players will probably have to go to free money and freshen up the squad. With Col already going who else should we leave behind?
For me it would have to be John McAliskey and either Robbie or Ant. Harsh. maybe, but I really believe we are so close to pushing for the play offs and some extra poise alongside Tom Kearney would give the rest of the team that extra confidence to take the game to the opposition from the beginning of the game, rather than waiting until it is too late.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: So who stays and who goes?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:00:03 PM »

danylyk is defo worth keeping , robbie wont go , maybe macca and welch if it comes to it.

taxi Phil

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 10:12:46 PM »

McAliskey is the only one I've any doubts over, though Welch may be one centre back too many. I'd like to keep RyanBrown. Given a clean bill of health for the whole squad, I think we need to sign an additional striker, preferably a regular scorer at a lower level who's ready to step up a notch.

jimmyhank

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 12:25:44 AM »

I'd like to see us add one creative midfielder - that's all.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 08:50:06 AM »

Needs very little this team now. Depends on who Graham is able to retain. Would sign a proven goalscorer at one league lower level. Name has already been mentioned on this site but feel it best to keep my gob shut in case anything is forthcoming. May be worth sticking with McAliskey. His greatest asset is his holding up of the ball, combined with his short passing ability and distribution. His height helps a great deal but I would like to see his heading ability improved in the box a-la JR from the 70/80s. More agression and commitment to his game but the lad deserves more of a chance, but needs to work on aspects of his game. Could be quite intimidating as a forward to the opposition, but this is lacking CURRENTLY from his game.

I do like the fact that we have stopped critiscising players on the pitch, the Alty fans have been very patient with him but he needs to work on certain aspects of his game.

I am happy with the squad as a whole, but it is not just about the squad, it's moving the team forward as a unit, and also the club; and finding ways of building more support. Best way is to be successful, but ambitious. Hopefully the club can build on this season, do a little bit of tweeking and retain our best players. Dont forget the team has changed a lot over the last two years, but has now become more or less settled. I would like to see Ryan Brown next season but I also liked Matt Doherty. There again, we have a squad which can cover probrably every position twice so we have strength in depth. This is proved by the fact that no matter who plays, the team standard is virtually the same. We have also recently found that we are having a say in the playoffs and final positions with our team, a sure sign that things are getting better as we are matching top teams. Oxford may have beaten us twice, but we are close behind their standard. Two 1-0 defeats which probrably could have swung either way. Another proilific marksman is all we really need to be the finished article. See what happens after the playoffs.

Full credit to Graham, Kenny and the lads for the work over the season. I have thoroughly enjoyed myself this season and look forward to the next one with much interest. Just getting the money together for renewing my season ticket now.

Great season everybody, here's to possible playoffs next season.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »

I am happy with the squad as a whole, but it is not just about the squad, it's moving the team forward as a unit, and also the club; and finding ways of building more support. Best way is to be successful, but ambitious. Hopefully the club can build on this season, do a little bit of tweeking and retain our best players. Dont forget the team has changed a lot over the last two years, but has now become more or less settled. I would like to see Ryan Brown next season but I also liked Matt Doherty. There again, we have a squad which can cover probrably every position twice so we have strength in depth. This is proved by the fact that no matter who plays, the team standard is virtually the same. We have also recently found that we are having a say in the playoffs and final positions with our team, a sure sign that things are getting better as we are matching top teams. Oxford may have beaten us twice, but we are close behind their standard. Two 1-0 defeats which probrably could have swung either way. Another proilific marksman is all we really need to be the finished article. See what happens after the playoffs.

But which is better?

There's only one way to find out: FIIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTTTT!

JonnyKeen

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:59:02 PM »

If we were to get rid of players for me it'd have to be Robbie and Mcaliskey.

jamestimperleyrobin

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 02:35:10 PM »

Not sure about getting rid of McAliskey now after someone came up with the good point of how much better he would be after a good pre-season, but if I had to say someone, I know people like him but I am unfortunately a critic of this player, Adam Carden.

Jenga

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »

Well now that Col hung his boots up I would like to keep the same squad with one new striker.

But we do need to move forward and with the massive improvement this season we may find that more players might want to play for us and we have a great pick of the pool, the problem is can we afford them.

I do actually think another season of this current squad will cement a good team and next season we can look for changes to improve again.

bighairedmike

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 04:20:20 PM »

Not sure about getting rid of McAliskey now after someone came up with the good point of how much better he would be after a good pre-season, but if I had to say someone, I know people like him but I am unfortunately a critic of this player, Adam Carden.

Why?

lukealty12

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 05:01:52 PM »

I like carden, Good player who can be used in different positions. Hope to see him stay.

markecky

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 05:16:35 PM »

I too like Carden, looks to have an eye for a good pass and gets about well.  Not the finished article but I think he would benefit from a run in the team.

His shorts were too high for him to be taken seriously yesterday though.

fuertes

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 07:32:10 PM »

We only signed McAliskey because we needed a physical presence, but Dale was injured. Ergo, when Dale is back, we needn't waste money on McAliskey. His style makes him look lazy, as does his lack of pace. I don't for one minute believe he isn't trying, I just don't think the lad is good enough. I'd wish him all the best in his future career, thank him for being a vaguely useful stop-gap, but send him packing.

Lawton and Danylyk perform the same duty. Good work-rate/stamina, committed, not scared to put their foot in. A central midfield with both of them in looks short on creativity, but I'm not against keeping both in the squad and rotating them. They need a Kearney/Carden to help them out with more incisive passing though.

If, and it's a big if, we were able to replace Colin with a free-scoring forward, and perhaps recruit another midfielder who looks really comfortable on the ball, we'd be playoff material. As it is, we're in the "can give anyone a game on their day" bracket, but lack the consistency to mount a challenge for the top five. Still, that's a hell of a lot better than anything we've been used to in recent years.

markecky

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »

We only signed McAliskey because we needed a physical presence, but Dale was injured. Ergo, when Dale is back, we needn't waste money on McAliskey. His style makes him look lazy, as does his lack of pace. I don't for one minute believe he isn't trying, I just don't think the lad is good enough. I'd wish him all the best in his future career, thank him for being a vaguely useful stop-gap, but send him packing.

Lawton and Danylyk perform the same duty. Good work-rate/stamina, committed, not scared to put their foot in. A central midfield with both of them in looks short on creativity, but I'm not against keeping both in the squad and rotating them. They need a Kearney/Carden to help them out with more incisive passing though.

If, and it's a big if, we were able to replace Colin with a free-scoring forward, and perhaps recruit another midfielder who looks really comfortable on the ball, we'd be playoff material. As it is, we're in the "can give anyone a game on their day" bracket, but lack the consistency to mount a challenge for the top five. Still, that's a hell of a lot better than anything we've been used to in recent years.

Best post for ages.  Agree with all that. 

If McAliskey was willing to come back pre season and show us he can do more when fully fit, then I'd give him a chance to show it though.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 07:56:56 PM »

Like the man said.*

* Wish I'd have said that!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team