News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Todays Games...

Author Topic: Todays Games...  (Read 2400 times)

Jacko

Todays Games...
« on: October 13, 2008, 09:32:53 AM »

Since ive been doin this we've been winning ;D apparently the players cant get enough of the setanta sports cup!!!!

09:30 - 11:30   Chinese Super League    Live!   
       Shaanxi Chanba    vs.    Liaoning FC       
   20:15 - 22:15   International Friendly Matches    Live!   
       SpVgg Greuther Furth    vs.    VFL Wolfsburg       
   20:30 - 22:30   Polish Ekstraklasa    Live!   
       Lech Poznan    vs.    Lechia Gdansk       
   20:45 - 22:45   Blue Square Premier League    Live!   
       Burton Albion FC    vs.    Mansfield Town       
   20:45 - 22:45   Italian Serie B    Live!   
       UC Albinoleffe    vs.    Pisa       
   21:05 - 23:00   Setanta Sports Cup    Live!   
       Drogheda United    vs.    Glentoran FC       

fuertes

Re: Todays Games...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:37:26 AM »

I can honestly say I've never watched the League of Ireland Premier Division thingy, but Drogheda nearly put Dinamo Kiev out of Europe, yet they're nowhere near Bohemians at the top of the league. Must be a reasonable standard these days.

Jacko

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:40:26 AM »

They had a player called peter thompson 21 152 goals in 235 games (no relation) in the division who was linked with lots of league clubs, supposed to be quality now at stockport
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:43:03 AM by Jacko »

Alex

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:43:05 AM »

he signed for stockport county and is doing ok i beleive (he's a norn iron international aswel)  :)

Jacko

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 09:48:46 AM »

he signed for stockport county and is doing ok i beleive (he's a norn iron international aswel)  :)
non iron!!!! i'll have to pop over the road to there training ground and check him out, wonder if he fancies a loan spell :o

fuertes

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 09:57:57 AM »

They had a player called peter thompson 21 152 goals in 235 games (no relation) in the division who was linked with lots of league clubs, supposed to be quality now at stockport

He was Linfield though wasn't he? That's Irish Prem rather than League of Ireland Prem I think. As someone whose family hail from Norn Iron I know that generally Linfield dominate in the North and churn out some decent players, but the standard of that league is pretty crap. The Republic seems to be decent though.

Alex

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 09:59:14 AM »

i think thats because theres more money in the republic's league and the teams are run on a full time basis.

Jacko

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 10:12:41 AM »

can we get belper town in the cup draw please????

Narcissist

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 10:20:27 AM »

Is the draw today?

If so what time?

*Edit* forget that ive seen the other thread.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 10:22:32 AM by OGC Alty »

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 11:19:34 AM »

i think thats because theres more money in the republic's league and the teams are run on a full time basis.

Not really true. The Eircom premier has less than half of it's sides competing on a full-time basis and some of those are now experiencing financial difficulties (Drogheda, despite all of their recent success have announced they are to revert back to part-time next season and Cork City are in dire financial trouble also). The standard of football amongst the top five or six in the premier is good, but outside of that it isn't that great. The main problem for the vast majority of clubs is getting people through the turnstiles. Ireland must be the worst country in the world for armchair football supporters and Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Celtic shirts abound (and just to show the fickle nature of the armchair supporter Sunderland and Reading shirts have also started to put in an appearance in recent years).

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

fuertes

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 11:24:03 AM »

Not really true. The Eircom premier has less than half of it's sides competing on a full-time basis and some of those are now experiencing financial difficulties (Drogheda, despite all of their recent success have announced they are to revert back to part-time next season and Cork City are in dire financial trouble also). The standard of football amongst the top five or six in the premier is good, but outside of that it isn't that great. The main problem for the vast majority of clubs is getting people through the turnstiles. Ireland must be the worst country in the world for armchair football supporters and Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Celtic shirts abound (and just to show the fickle nature of the armchair supporter Sunderland and Reading shirts have also started to put in an appearance in recent years).

There shouldn't be a contradiction though should there? Don't Waterford and Dundalk fans tend to follow United too? They can still go through the turnstiles in Ireland whilst following United. In the North every Linfield fan follows Glasgow Rangers, but Linfield's attendances are actually really good. I think they're just lazy bastards to be honest  :D

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »

There shouldn't be a contradiction though should there? Don't Waterford and Dundalk fans tend to follow United too? They can still go through the turnstiles in Ireland whilst following United. In the North every Linfield fan follows Glasgow Rangers, but Linfield's attendances are actually really good. I think they're just lazy bastards to be honest  :D

There shouldn't, but there is. How many people do you think live in the Alty catchment area that like football, but never set foot inside Moss Lane (or any other ground for that matter)? The problem in Ireland is magnified by the fact that there is a much lower population and there is no top standard football on offer anywhere (like it or not people get used to seeing world class players live on TV and are then unwilling to part with cash and time to go and see a local side at a lower standard).

As for Linfield in the North, their crowds are not all that (except for the really big games and even then they're not that great). Very hard to tell over here as no official attendance figures are released for either league (but generally they are not high).

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Todays Games...