News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The forgotten Tony Sanders?

Author Topic: The forgotten Tony Sanders?  (Read 4234 times)

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:51:36 PM »

Not usually one to delve into nostalgia on here, but I'm reading Joe Fagan's biography at the moment and it touches on his achievements and the fact that he's barely remembered outside of Anfield.  It got me thinking about Tony Sanders' own status at the club. 

Arguably the greatest manager we've ever had, nearly a decade in charge, built the glory years of the 70s and 80s.  Yet for me he seems a sort of forgotten figure, not really talked about. 

Am I being unfair?  One for the old timers I guess but how good was he?  What was he like?

Knutsford Alty

Re: The forgotten Tony Sanders?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »

Arguably the greatest manager we've ever had, nearly a decade in charge, built the glory years of the 70s and 80s.  Yet for me he seems a sort of forgotten figure, not really talked about. 

Rather like the massive win at Birmingham City in '86, the national press seem to forget that!

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 08:07:36 PM »

So badly remembered in fact that most people seem to insist on calling him "Saunders" instead of "Sanders".   ::)

Must have been a great era in which to be an Alty fan!
Come on Alty!

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 08:39:37 PM »

Not forgotten by me, but it's a fair point.....halcyon days indeed

I think it's just a numbers thing. I wonder how many people who watch Alty today were fans back then?
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:15:26 PM »

Great days indeed. I was fortunate enough to start watching Alty during Sanders' first full season - the memorable Trophy run to the semis, a penalty miss away from Wembley, winning the Trophy the following season, then it all snowballed as we had great FA Cup runs including trips to Spurs & Liverpool, 2 league titles and the era rounded off with another (losing) trip to Wembley. As I remember it, Tony Sanders was never particularly rated by the fans as any great tactician or coach but he assembled one hell of a team for that level of football, full of strong colourful characters - maybe that's why he's not remembered so much - overshadowed by the team he built. Didn't he go back to being a joiner after leaving Alty?

Paul

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 10:16:07 PM »

Great days indeed. I was fortunate enough to start watching Alty during Sanders' first full season - the memorable Trophy run to the semis, a penalty miss away from Wembley, winning the Trophy the following season, then it all snowballed as we had great FA Cup runs including trips to Spurs & Liverpool, 2 league titles and the era rounded off with another (losing) trip to Wembley. As I remember it, Tony Sanders was never particularly rated by the fans as any great tactician or coach but he assembled one hell of a team for that level of football, full of strong colourful characters - maybe that's why he's not remembered so much - overshadowed by the team he built. Didn't he go back to being a joiner after leaving Alty?

Paul

I think he fitted kitchens as a trade

Many people (quite unfairly in my view) suggest that the team was effectively managed by John King with Tony being merely a puppet. I do not subscribe to this theory

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 11:15:13 PM »

From what I recall, John King was somewhat in awe of him, certainly in that four four two piece that was done a while back.

I was lucky enough to meet him at the 30th anniversary bash, with Tony Spilsbury who i believe had known him sometime earlier. I felt overawed and very nervous, much as I did when I met Jackie Swindells many years ago.

Jezza

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 09:53:31 AM »

No arguably about it...the best manager......I think it is almost a compliment that his name is not used much...more taken for granted as the mastermind behind that great team that I had the privellege of watching.

taxi Phil

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 10:15:39 AM »

Tony Sanders had a good eye for a player, and knew exactly how to use that player once he had his services.

The reason he was taken a little for granted was that he was a very quiet, almost private man. You never really saw him shouting at his players, or even at officials. He wan't one for shouting his mouth off - he just got down to business - and how !

York Alty

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 11:00:47 AM »

i am ashamed that I did once shout "Sanders Out" as we drew to the end of the marvelous era.  I was young and thought we had the right to dominate as we had done in the past.  A twisted recognition of his management perhaps. 

shame on me.

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 11:04:19 AM »

Tony Sanders was the best manager we ever had.. notwithstanding who may come in the future.

Why?

1. He didn't just assemble a team he built a family at Alty which is why we were so great.. much like Liverpool in the same time.
2. He was a polite gentleman with a great sense of humour
3. He developed a great relationship with the board.. they were part of the family .. and the fans..
4. He knew non league football better than anyone else of his generation
5. He lived for success.. second was never good enough

Never forgotten Tony, indeed. On the few occasions we have met since those glory days, you can still see the pride he has in his achievements.
He knows he did a great an unique job..but remains modest.

can anyone name a non league manager that even came close to his achievements over such a long period... The Alex Ferguson of Non-league.. but with more humanity and manners!

Jezza

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 11:59:07 AM »

when you listen to that noel white radio interview re-aired recently you get an idea of how self indingnantly the fans demanded success at alty in those days...maybe a hangover from wtaching jackie swindells score 6 goals every game....but if we won comnfortably 3-0 you'd still hear moans from the crowd.....sack the board, spend some MORE money....

yes we spent money in those days but we also had to be seen as ambitious and fashionable enough and tony was a huge part of that scandalously unsuccesful drive toward the football league.

when you read the cult's when we were kings and extracts from Tony's interviews with the press he absolutly demanded we won that league and cleverly tinkered bringing in alex stepney etc until the side steamrollered it's way to the championship.

Robin Reliant

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 04:47:42 PM »

Not forgotten by me, but it's a fair point.....halcyon days indeed

I think it's just a numbers thing. I wonder how many people who watch Alty today were fans back then?
Count me in, but these days its more listening than watching....thank goodness for Radio Robins
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team