Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 POLL - Would you be pleased at a reprieve?

Poll

In the unlikely event of a reprieve, what would your feelings be on it?

Pleased
Disappointed
Unsure

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: POLL - Would you be pleased at a reprieve?  (Read 4617 times)

markecky

« on: May 04, 2007, 11:09:17 AM »

A quick poll to see what the general feeling would be if we got a reprieve at the AGM.  Whilst it is highly unlikely, I'd be interested to see the results.

I only hope that statements coming out of the club do not damage our chances and make it seem like we were relieved to go down.

Take away the fact that it would be hard on other teams fans who don't deserve to be punished, just base it on your reaction if the news came through.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 11:11:05 AM by markecky »

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: POLL - Would you be pleased at a reprieve?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 11:19:28 AM »

I couldn't be anything other than pleased. I'd feel guilty sure, perhaps less so if it was at the expense of somebody obviously taking the piss but I'd still take it. Still as we went through all the options last night, unfortunately it seems as though the rumoured clubs have sorted themselves and its full speed ahead for the BSN.   :'(

Interesting poll topic though.

Jezza

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 11:42:09 AM »

I'd be really unsure...we'd have to take any reprieve offered but a quick scan round the forums shows a growing resentment...bloody Alty looking for a reprieve, bet they're doing all they can behind the scenes, FGR all over.....
How would we feel if we had avoided the drop and Tamworth were reprieved? particularly next time we play them and we got the "no disrespect to Altrincham but these are games we should be winning as we move toward the football league"
But don't misunderstand me....I'd rather top tier footie than 2nd tier.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 11:56:50 AM »

At the end of the day, have we been making snake in the grass moves for a reprieve?  Crawley's and Boston's problems are well documented.  We haven't tried to get a club into trouble to save our own skin.  We must keep a dignified silence and, should anything happen to save us, be gracious enough to admit being fortunate. I don't see how we'd lose that much goodwill if we act like that.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 12:00:20 PM »

I'd be happy for a reprieve.

Though I appreciate the lower levels of pain & stress playing in Conf North, any club would want to be at the highest level possible - with the money & TV coverage etc available.

I also appreciate Geoff Goodwin looking at the many positives of a drop to Conf North. They are all legitimate, but ultimately we want Alty to be recognised at the highest level for the quality club it is.

If we get a reprieve we will do so in the full knowledge that we have not been pulling any strings to get anyone else dropped out of the league. There has been more than enough coverage of Crawley's problems, for instance, for the wider football world to know they would have had it coming.

Either way...... Alty 4 ever!

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 12:21:36 PM »

I think there is a surprising level of consensus from the extended Alty family:

1) We believe the best place to be is the Conference National
2) We can see the positive benefits of being in the Conference North
3) We do not want to be reprieved through the unfortunate demise of another club
4) We dislike the fact that many clubs appear to be comfortable to live beyond their means
5) We will live within our means - e.g. part time and proud of it.

teasybeaver

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 01:02:50 PM »

Pleased, I'd be made up!

And thats that really, couldn't care less what any other clubs had to say.

louise1925

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 03:03:16 PM »

A reprieve would be wonderful. Crawley cheated. But, like a few have mentioned already, I wouldn't want Alty to be known as another Forest Green. Realistically, though people already flouting daft rumours of behind the scenes shenanigans, are pretty anti-Alty to begin with. Most other fans will know that this is just not Alty's style. So, I will go down as an UNSURE.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 03:48:57 PM »

Can not understand why anybody who truly has the best interests of Alty at heart would vote anything other than "Pleased" in this pole. Sure we can try and look at the positives of being in the BSN, but the truth of the matter is life is one hell of a lot better in the National league (better football, better grounds, greater income, greater media exposure, etc).

Yes, I would feel a slight amount of sympathy for any club that went down on grounds other than points accrued from playing, but it would only be slight and fleeting. The heart is with Alty, not any other team and as such I want to see them competing at the highest level possible and I don't subscribe to the view that being a big (ish) fish in a smaller pond is somehow better.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 03:49:28 PM »

Sure, I'd really miss seeing our friends from the Redditch social club again....but I think that I could just about live with the guilt....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

altyf

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 06:25:26 PM »

I would be pleased due to the following:
1-Oxford and Torquay rather than Redditch and Leigh
2-Setanta TV
3-The larger crowds home and away
4-For alty to be in national division

I would tell anyone who said "you're s**t you only stayed up cos of another club failing financially" to p**s off. We ran our club properly you didnt. We had to face the consequences for being relegated on the pitch, you accept you cheated and were punished

I would feel for the fans of the club in trouble because I know how I'd feel if it were alty who went bump.

I will be at every game in conf north and would go to every alty game if it were cheshire league division 2.

I have had time to make peace with the relegation however and although i would be pleased to be repreived I'm looking forward to season in Conf North

BORO-PIKE

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 11:28:11 AM »

I'm sure you will disregard my opinion but I thought I would through my post give it,
I support Stafford and as old aquaintances of Alty have an interest in how you get on due to having family and friends around there and Wythenshawe.
Anyway.............................
If the demise of another club comes from elsewhere other than yourselves then you must embrace the gift of a place back in the BSP and feel no guilt or feeling of wrong doing as its just NOT your problem,
Other clubs through mismanagement have made there own beds let them lie in them ala Northwich Crawley etc sad yes but not you at fault!

Your club like ours runs as a club not living beyond your means and in this day and age its commendable behaviour
(We did have a Pro this season and intend to increase this by maybe a couple next season) but doing it gradually seems the most cost effective and safe way to ensure survival.
just one more thing I can't quite see where the going down will do you good comes from  ??? other than from someone who had had a few too many!!!

Finally................................
Goodluck and hope to see you lot again at Marston Road or elsewhere if we ever get our new ground started in the not too distant future

PIKE

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 01:09:45 PM »

Pleased! iwould be tickled pink
Harold

Butty

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 02:12:02 PM »

just one more thing I can't quite see where the going down will do you good comes from  ??? other than from someone who had had a few too many!!!

PIKE

well i suppose that we would attract more people to our games because they cant stay at home and watch it on setanta  so they have to pay and watch the club from the stadium and fund us while giving the club more support

bigedd

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 07:53:23 PM »

2 Great Escapes, I Would be thrilled. over the moon
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team