PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Reduced admission prices for the FA Trophy replay at Macc next Thursday
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Reduced admission prices for the FA Trophy replay at Macc next Thursday  (Read 6067 times)

The Sound of Silence

Re: Reduced admission prices for the FA Trophy replay at Macc next Thursday
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 08:54:15 AM »

Plenty of stuff to deal with there then!

1. The defence with Hannigan in it looks a hell of a lot more secure than the defence without Hannigan in it, doesn't it?

2. I accept that it is not ideal to be so highly dependent on a player who does seem very injury prone (although this is not his history in past seasons).

3. If we have indeed given up all hope of staying up then I can actually see Ballers' logic, as I am sure that (whatever we might think of him) there will be no shortage of people wanting to sign Tom Hannigan, whether in January or the summer, if we decided to let him go. It would not therefore be a problem to find an alternative club for him. And if we do go down, I am sure he would be tempted by an offer from a National League North club in the summer, particularly if he is not universally liked / respected here, as he clearly is not.

4. Equally, if we have given up all hope in the League, then yes indeed we should be playing the strongest available team at Macclesfield, as the Trophy would then appear to be the be-all and end-all of our season.

5. Do we think our strongest available team could actually win at Macclesfield? I do take the point that if we get through we have a winnable last 32 match.

6. I don't think the importance of the next 4 League matches can be over-estimated (unless of course we have given up all hope, in which case it cannot be under-estimated). These all look winnable, unlike the 5 that follow (see previous posts). So to my mind we should throw the kitchen sink at these 4 matches and see how many points we can get. If we continue in current League form and get, say, only 3 or 4 points from the 4 games I will be the first to agree that we look doomed, but are we really going to write off the League season before Christmas? And if so, what message does that send to fans, and how many people do we expect to be watching us for the rest of the season? And what knock on effect might that have on fans' attitude for future seasons?

7. For all of the above reasons I think the team selection for the replay will tell us a lot about how the current management see the rest of the season. Leaving aside all other factors, I don't see Shaun Densmore starting 3 games in 7 days at the moment (nor should he be expected to), so which games he plays in will be an interesting sign in this respect.

In the meantime, a first League home win of 2016 against a team from North of London would be welcome on Boxing Day!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 12:17:58 PM »

2. I accept that it is not ideal to be so highly dependent on a player who does seem very injury prone
(although this is not his history in past season's

I think this is what most worries me. I've doubts about his mentality for being here and for the battle we find ourselves in.

As for the rest, unless there's a clear reason for resting anyone i.e. Densmore needs to be protected then yes we desperately need to play our strongest side.

If we do get relegated it won't be because we were exhausted after a tough Xmas schedule that involved a trip to Macc!!

The Sound of Silence

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 01:15:29 PM »

I think this is what most worries me. I've doubts about his mentality for being here and for the battle we find ourselves in.

I know exactly what you mean, but as L'Homme du Sport said the issue often seems to be about trying to do too much or be too brave rather than shirking the battle. When he is on the pitch his commitment seems to me to be spot on, but his injury issues are a worry. But I don't think there is any real evidence for blaming them on a lack of desire?

Incidentally the one thing I do have a gripe with him about is getting himself stupidly sent off against Matlock and so missing 3 matches, 2 of which (Telford & Bradford) we might well have won with him in the team. But again that looked like too much desire rather than not enough.

GB Alty

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2016, 11:12:02 AM »

I think the answer to the Hannigan problem is to tell him to f**king man up and earn his corn or leave in January quite frankly.

Does he not get injured because he's thrown my himself on the line for the cause constantly? Maybe if others were doing the same he could lower his risk a bit.
He's getting injured a lot because he's not looking after himself he's not fit enough. Mentally retired when he left Fylde. He's let us down big style, as Ballers says he should man up or f**k off

GB Alty

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2016, 11:14:04 AM »

2. I accept that it is not ideal to be so highly dependent on a player who does seem very injury prone
(although this is not his history in past season's

As for the rest, unless there's a clear reason for resting anyone i.e. Densmore needs to be protected then yes we desperately need to play our strongest side.

If we do get relegated it won't be because we were exhausted after a tough Xmas schedule that involved a trip to Macc!!
excellent post

The Sound of Silence

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2016, 05:59:22 PM »

[/quote]He's getting injured a lot because he's not looking after himself he's not fit enough. Mentally retired when he left Fylde. He's let us down big style, as Ballers says he should man up or f**k off
[/quote]

This is the third time this year I feel like I have slipped into a parallel universe, and as I was 100% wrong on Brexit and Donald Trump I need to know whether I am completing my 2016 hat-trick with Tom Hannigan. So I think a poll is required (see separate thread for details).
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Reduced admission prices for the FA Trophy replay at Macc next Thursday