News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Former Players

Author Topic: Former Players  (Read 4827 times)

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Former Players
« on: April 01, 2007, 08:54:08 PM »

anyone know the whereabouts of these former players, been rummiging through old programmes and their names popped out at me, interesting to see where players pop up at sometimes.
Stuart Terry
Neil Morton
Chris Sharratt
Steve O'Neill
Joe Paladino
Shaun Constable
Lee Poland (snatched the ball from Rod when playing Lancaster in an Fa Cup replay in order to secure his hat-trick)
Barry Butler
Andy Reid

and where did Paul Collings disappear to......?
the 1994-5 season was my debut season as an avid Alty Fan hence why I have 9,876 programmes from that season

Altysmiffy

Re: Former Players
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 09:13:42 PM »

Last I heard about Joe Paladino was that he ploughed a lot of money into St Helens Town.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 09:19:59 PM »

I wrote this in a recent programme article about Alty players with exotic surnames:

1. JOE PALADINO
Giuseppe Paladino was a 6ft 4” taxi driver, doorman, goalkeeper and amateur boxer who made seven Third Division appearances for Wigan Athletic during the 1990/91 season after joining the Latics from his hometown club, St Helens Town. Following spells with Runcorn and Witton Albion, Gerry Quinn brought him to Moss Lane at the start of the 1992/93 season and he went on to record 24 appearances for the Robins. His final game was a particularly dismal 4-1 defeat at Bromsgrove Rovers on 12th December 1992. From January 2004 until March 2005, he presided as Director of Football at St Helens Town, where one of the coaches he appointed was the tough-tackling ex-Alty left full back Mick Hayde.

And here's one from an earlier article about players who had been with both Alty & Halifax:

SHAUN CONSTABLE
A Leeds University student who arrived at Halifax via SC**thorpe United in August 1993. After 38 appearances and one goal, he moved to Moss Lane in May 1994. The following season saw him feature in 26 games for the Robins (18 of which were as a substitute) and he is still best remembered as the scorer of that controversial disallowed ‘goal’ in the FA Cup Third Round tie at Tottenham Hotspur on 7th January 1995. He returned to Halifax in September 1995 for a further five appearances before being released in May 1996. He went on to play for Harrogate Railway and work as a coach at the Leeds United Youth Academy.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 09:25:29 PM »

o yeh, i remember jumping for joy when he 'scored' at spurs, quite how the linesman spotted Andy Reid's foot 2 cm over the line i will never know. best memory from that game was klinsman (could have been Sheringham) clattering into the keeper in the first 5 minutes and smiling as he lay on the floor with a dead leg !

Altysmiffy

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 09:27:14 PM »

I remember Kingy saying how good the linesman's optician must be cos no-one else saw the infringement!

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 09:29:48 PM »

funny how after Gerry Francis had jumped out of the dugout and burned 7000 calories the goal was disallowed, if only the goal had stood...........

Altysmiffy

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 09:45:38 PM »

The report in, I think, The Telegraph descibed how, as the ball went in, the Spurs players as one suddenly grew very very pale at the sudden relisation that, at 2-1, anything could happen.

thegazelle

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 09:51:51 PM »

my personal memory of that day was having 20,000 people singing" who ate all the pies" at me.

I was so upset i removed my alty shirt and showed the soft southern tarts what a beer beely is realy all about.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 09:56:20 PM »

my personal memory of that day was having 20,000 people singing" who ate all the pies" at me.

I was so upset i removed my alty shirt and showed the soft southern tarts what a beer beely is realy all about.

gazelle,

I remember that incident vividly, as we were only a few rows behind you.

You exhibited the finest physique I had seen in an Alty shirt since the great Ian Tunnacliffe wore the red and white stripes back in 1992. 
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ashley Alty

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 11:05:10 AM »

anyone know the whereabouts of these former players, been rummiging through old programmes and their names popped out at me, interesting to see where players pop up at sometimes.
Stuart Terry
Neil Morton
Chris Sharratt
Steve O'Neill
Joe Paladino
Shaun Constable
Lee Poland (snatched the ball from Rod when playing Lancaster in an Fa Cup replay in order to secure his hat-trick)
Barry Butler
Andy Reid

and where did Paul Collings disappear to......?
the 1994-5 season was my debut season as an avid Alty Fan hence why I have 9,876 programmes from that season

Shaun was in the bar at Harrogate Railway last time I spoke to him, Stuart lives in the Northwich area, Barry is in Bolton (I rang him a while ago and he spoke to me from his bath!) and is still a window cleaner, Andy is in the Oldham area, chris is in Yorkshire and Neil is in Huddersfield (I think)

collingstillidie

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 10:11:32 AM »

well if u search paul collings u will see my post, he was workin here on the wirral with me but has dunna runna. im a liverpool fan btw, but coz of paul i come here now weird hey?

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Former Players- Mike Farrar
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 02:02:35 PM »

Anyone else remember Mike?

Great lad, very sad his career finished due to injury.

I remember him co-commentating with Flynnie when Clive Freeman scored his thunderbolt against Chester

Seems to have done okay for hisself according to this

http://www.northwest.nhs.uk/board/

Ashley Alty

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 05:09:18 PM »

Blimey - I'd better watch out for him when he visits Sport England Towers

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 07:32:56 PM »

Prior to working in the NHS, Mike worked for Grand Metropolitan UK Ltd and pursued early sporting aspirations, playing cricket for Lancashire’s second eleven and semi-professional football for Altrincham and Rochdale.

Rochdale in their place.  :D
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Former Players