PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stafford memories
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stafford memories  (Read 4122 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Stafford memories
« on: March 27, 2007, 10:51:08 AM »

Looking back through the dusty cobwebs of my mind, I can see four occasions where a match at Moss Lane against Stafford in March (ish) has been a watershed:

72/3 Alty 0 Stafford 1 We had an outside chance of the title, chasing Jim Smiths Boston United and Wigan Athletic hard.  Stafford (also in the mix) came to Moss Lane and although we peppered their goal (hit the bar, hit the post, offside goal, great save, missed a sitter...) we succumbed to a sucker punch goal.  That game convinced me that we wouldn't win the NPL that year.

79/80 Alty 3 Stafford 1 In the home run in the inaugural APL season, Alty ran out comfortable winners against Stafford in front of an impressive 2324 (sadly I remembered the crowd figure).  This game convinced me that not only would we win the APL but we'd have a dman good chance in Division 4 the following season.

81/2 Alty2 Stafford 4 I didn't even get to this match - I hitched up from London but was only walking down Moss Lane at 4:40.  Before I got to the ground, I saw Alty fans heading towards the stationand they told me the score.  On hearing the score, I was convinced that we were no longer a force in non league football.

2004/05 Alty 1 Stafford 0 Marcus Hallows' last goal for Altrincham - a sparkling move that culminate with a low cross from Pottsy being finished with aplomb by Elvis.  This game convinced me that we would make the playoffs.

And now 2006/07 - will this game convince me that we are now established members of the conference?

9 hours to kick off!!

markecky

Re: Stafford memories
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 10:58:04 AM »

You've missed 1990/91..the 1-0 Sunday away defeat and 1000 travelling robins...when things started to go a little wrong.

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 11:00:48 AM »

You've missed 1990/91..the 1-0 Sunday away defeat and 1000 travelling robins...when things started to go a little wrong.

It was 2-1 because I remember Showler giving us the lead early on. Such a disppointment!

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 11:02:08 AM »

I should also add to that the 1-0 win there in 93/94 when Russell Green dispossessed Ryan Price in the area and slotted home the winner. Great stuff!

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 11:12:25 AM »

damn right about the 1-2 at Stafford on a  Sunday in 1991.  I was living in Paris at the time and therefore didn't attend the game - but I do remember my every Monday morning walk to a newsagent near the Grande Arche de la Defense which stocked English papers.  I moved out there immediately after the defeat to Huddersfield in the FA Cup and popped back to the UK the weekend of the Wycombe defeat in the trophy.  So for the many months that I was outside the UK, we didn't lose - and I broke the spell and therefore ended our chances of glory.  It's all my fault - and I'd extinguished the moment from my mind until now...my heart is broken and only an Alty win this evening will give my life renewed meaning...

teasybeaver

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 11:13:42 AM »

I seem to remember spanking Stafford 5-1 at home, possibly early 90's, Tuesday night.

seem to remember their keeper being one of the worst ive ever seen, including Arnie's performance in Safeway Hale's 5-0 defeat at the hands of Safeway Bolton in 1999.

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 11:15:56 AM »

I seem to remember spanking Stafford 5-1 at home, possibly early 90's, Tuesday night.

seem to remember their keeper being one of the worst ive ever seen, including Arnie's performance in Safeway Hale's 5-0 defeat at the hands of Safeway Bolton in 1999.

The 5-1 was in August '94 because I remember being on holiday in the Algarve at the time and seeing the result in the paper about two days later.

Jezza

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 11:29:54 AM »

In the same season as Marcus hallows last goal how about the away match on Boxing day.

Played in arctic conditions on an icey bobbly pitch. We won 1-0 against a Stafford side competing with us for the play offs.

I seem to remember Stafford thrashing us 5-1 at home in the late '80s?

The 2-1 defeat in the Showler year will live along time...about 20 minutes into that game we tired.

markecky

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 11:34:37 AM »

It was of course 2-1....know I remember Showler wheeling away after slotting home the first from a rebound.

Apologies all round.

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 11:39:23 AM »

In the same season as Marcus hallows last goal how about the away match on Boxing day.

Played in arctic conditions on an icey bobbly pitch. We won 1-0 against a Stafford side competing with us for the play offs.

I seem to remember Stafford thrashing us 5-1 at home in the late '80s?

The 2-1 defeat in the Showler year will live along time...about 20 minutes into that game we tired.

Seem to remember they tonked us 5-0 in the Trophy at Moss Lane in about 93/94. Awful, awful game!!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 11:39:24 AM »

Picture postcard snowscape roads from Chester and a great result to warm us up.

My fondest memory has to be waiting for Mrs Saughall to come out of the Ladies under the stand and an Alty fan in Santa gear being asked what had for Christmas by a Stafford fan. Santa said "another good hiding on New Years Day!  ;D ;D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 06:13:57 PM »

Fraser Wood

Free Kick

Wall

Big f**k off gap.

I can still see that balls trajectory to this day now.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 06:33:06 PM »

Ballers,

Whilst wading through a pile of old Alty programmes the other day in order to find out how many games Martin Hanchard did actually play for us, I came across a photograph of some Alty ball boys sat in a dugout at Moss Lane.

Lo and behold, there you were....looking all cherubic!

Would you like a photocopy of it.....or are you willing to pay me a handsome sum to keep it concealed in the archives?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 07:03:35 PM »

Think I remember this photo. It may have been to herald the arrival of the new Savlon tracksuits IIRC. Would prob have included, Barry Norman, Colin Broadhurst, Paul Leonard, Gavin Torpey, John Smart, maybe Martin Jordan and Phil Ainsworth. Sod it, if you want to scan it and put it on here I'll try and name the faces.

One thing about ballboying is that many lads that have done it have gone on to be lifelong and loyal supporters, albeit only John and Martin of that list could be included altho see Phil and Gav occasionally. Have we had any other luniaries on here who did it in the dim and distant past? Flynninho?

markecky

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 11:19:19 PM »

Phil Ainsworth is there most weeks mate with Tony
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stafford memories