Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 A Moss Lane crowd of over 1,000 - only one remaining realistic chance?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Moss Lane crowd of over 1,000 - only one remaining realistic chance?  (Read 3447 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

In the light of our Chairman's comments in the Messenger regarding the need for us to achieve crowds of 1,000+ at each of our remaining home games, I can honestly only see one potential prospect of this occurring, alas.

Five home games outstanding:

(i) Forest Green Rovers: negligible number of away supporters anticipated;

(ii) Crawley Town: pitiful away support expected, especially for a team on the fringe of the play-offs;

(iii) Eastbourne Borough: unlikely to bring many to Moss Lane on a Tuesday evening.....and it's another Champions League night. The pessimist in me predicts that this will be our lowest home gate of the season;

(iv) Kidderminster Harriers: Easter Saturday might boost the crowd and surely they will bring a decent following if a play-off position is still within their grasp?

(v) Grays Athletic: not enticing opposition and, once again, a large turnout of away fans is highly improbable.

In short: oh dear.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile

In the light of our Chairman's comments in the Messenger regarding the need for us to achieve crowds of 1,000+ at each of our remaining home games, I can honestly only see one potential prospect of this occurring, alas.

Five home games outstanding:

(i) Forest Green Rovers: negligible number of away supporters anticipated;

(ii) Crawley Town: pitiful away support expected, especially for a team on the fringe of the play-offs;

(iii) Eastbourne Borough: unlikely to bring many to Moss Lane on a Tuesday evening.....and it's another Champions League night. The pessimist in me predicts that this will be our lowest home gate of the season;

(iv) Kidderminster Harriers: Easter Saturday might boost the crowd and surely they will bring a decent following if a play-off position is still within their grasp?

(v) Grays Athletic: not enticing opposition and, once again, a large turnout of away fans is highly improbable.

In short: oh dear.

Just hope it doesnt mean we have to let our best players go in the summer

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

According to these stats (http://www.tonykempster.co.uk/confatt.htm?team=116) attendances are 5.3% up on last season. Although given our remaining fixtures I expect our average gate to fall to a similar level as last season - an average of 1063.

Even if all our remaining games pull in only an average of 800, our average over the season will be 1050.

I think that attendances have held up reasonably well, especially with regard to the prevailing economic circumstances.

If this does mean a bit of belt tightening for next this season, if all clubs are similarly affected, surely in real terms we will be no worse off anyway?
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

RocketDan

is our wage bill this season the same as last season?

and also, is it going to be seriously reduced next season?

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers

What is the prize money for winning c.s cup that could be useful

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

So if we dont make 1000+ does this mean the board will apply for Blue Square North or am i reading it wrong on the main site.
Harold

joe

A moss lane
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 09:56:12 AM »

Thats how i also read between the lines but that would be totally stupid! It's probably just the chairman on one his bizarre rants again.

Dougals Dad

That's what it looks like, but I sens  whattoseppe this is more along the lines of this is what could happen as opposed to what will happen.

(Sorry, Jenniffer started to play with the mouse half way thu that and managed to cut & paste!)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I read it as, if attendances are dropping next years budget wll be set accordingly. That means if we have to let players leave and bring in cheaper inferior ones then so be it, and we'll either stay up or more likely we won't.

I can thorughly understand what is being said.

Sadly I think the public of Altrincham are more likely to walkaway if you tell them we're sh*t,  I'd like to see a bit of positive sabre rattling once in a while.

Dougals Dad

In theory the other clubs will also have to cut their cloth for the new season as all the clubs (with very few exceptions) should be suffering the same money worries. We should, theoretically, be in the same comparative position next season.

However, asI say, thats the theory....................

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: A Moss Lane crowd of over 1,000 - only one remaining realistic chance?
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 12:51:20 PM »

The ideal scenario for next season in the Blue Square Premier for us, as regards both away travel and home attendances, would be for Chester City, Telford United and Southport to have joined the league by various means.

From purely a home attendance point of view, the potential loss of the likes of Lewes, Grays, Forest Green or Woking would not be a disaster.

AFC Wimbledon would probably bring a decent away following, too.

The potential departure of Vics is a blow in terms of losing our obvious local derby.

We also need Wrexham to miss out on promotion.

We could also do with Histon being promoted via the play-offs, as they hardly bring any away supporters to Moss Lane.....and they always beat us anyway! 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 12:53:20 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Altyroo

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 12:53:36 PM »

Ah yes but hasnt the chairman said in the past he would rather be in a lower league than Blue Square Prem..

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »

Chester and Wrexham would both bring as many as Vics, Southport will bring 250-300, Telford I'll guess similar. AFC Wimbledon take plenty away but it drops off once the distance increases or public transport is poor, for example some Essex clubs. It remains to be seen how many they will take away in a national league, but I'd hazard a guess it'll be plenty more than Grays, Woking, etc. Barrow staying up would help gates too, but the bottom line is we have to find a way of getting Altrincham people into Moss Lane.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 07:52:53 PM »

In my day mid 60s to late 70s we did start getting 1800 to over 2000 per game,some of those people or their families must be about.I know i live 260 miles away now so hard for me to make home games and my father is now 85 and finds it hard standing for 90+ minutes.He does not like going in the stand(cannot fight there(unless with GH))
Harold

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 07:56:21 PM »

In my day mid 60s to late 70s we did start getting 1800 to over 2000 per game,some of those people or their families must be about.

To be fair, my Grandpa has reliably informed me on several occasions that in the Cheshire League days there were a very large number of visiting fans at most games. Every game was more or less a "home game" which tended to inflate the attendances.
Come on Alty!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 A Moss Lane crowd of over 1,000 - only one remaining realistic chance?