PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cheshire Senior Cup Final Thriller at Wincham Park
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cheshire Senior Cup Final Thriller at Wincham Park  (Read 4622 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Cheshire Senior Cup Final Thriller at Wincham Park
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 04:47:03 PM »

He was at Accrington about a month back. Not sure if he is still there or not.

I'm not certain that he was ever there.

There may have been some confusion with an Accrington player by the name of Shaun Whalley (son of the former Alty player, Neil, incidentally).
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

andrewflynn

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 05:04:57 PM »

To be honest I'd try and get Baguley back here in the summer whatever league we're in. We've been crying out for someone creative in midfield all season and I mean even after we had young King on loan as he was very much a ball winner like Robbie. The lack of someone who can create openings has been the main reason we've not won that many during the improved run of form.

bagluey is currently at FC United and i think he is scoring for fun.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 05:06:36 PM »

There may have been some confusion with an Accrington player by the name of Shaun Whalley (son of the former Alty player, Neil, incidentally).

I remember Soccer Saturday saying Gareth Whalley, but they could be the ones confused!

Both Sedge & Gareth were unlucky with injuries and never really got to match fitness. Its easy with hindsight to say they were not for Alty, but you cannot blame GH for signing players like this. I think there would have been very few at the time of their signing who would have said it was a bad idea. Alas, neither were quite good enough or suitable for Alty.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 05:11:24 PM »

I remember Soccer Saturday saying Gareth Whalley, but they could be the ones confused!

Both Sedge & Gareth were unlucky with injuries and never really got to match fitness. Its easy with hindsight to say they were not for Alty, but you cannot blame GH for signing players like this. I think there would have been very few at the time of their signing who would have said it was a bad idea. Alas, neither were quite good enough or suitable for Alty.

As Ballers has written elsewhere, Sedgemore seemed to fit the bill in terms of what we were looking for back in the close season.
Alas, things just haven't worked out as planned.

As regards Whalley, I do recall that a few people on this Forum did voice concerns about his fitness record in recent times when news first emerged that he was joining Alty.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cheshire Senior Cup Final Thriller at Wincham Park