PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cheshire Senior Cup Final Thriller at Wincham Park
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cheshire Senior Cup Final Thriller at Wincham Park  (Read 4623 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: April 02, 2008, 12:47:09 AM »

Well, that was a load of embarrassing drivel, wasn't it?

An honourable mention to Ryan Shotton for his performance but the rest hardly covered themselves in glory.

Nantwich played the better football and deserved to win.

At least when you get to the final of this competition, you might as well try and win it, especially against a team from three leagues below you.
Unfortunately, we were incapable of dominating the game.

When Sedgemore ambled up to take his penalty (with his socks inexplicably pulled down as if he had covered as much ground as Alan Ball did in the 1966 World Cup Final), you sensed that his underachieving career with Alty would continue with a miss.

Dismal.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
Re: Cheshire Senior Cup Final Thriller at Wincham Park
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:57:34 AM »

here here couldnt agree more sedgemore  should go he is a waste off space

Alty365

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:25:07 AM »

here here couldnt agree more sedgemore  should go he is a waste off space

Rearrange the words to find the reason for this problem:

CONTRACT   HE   A   ON   IS

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 10:15:04 AM »

no he is not
Harold

Alty365

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 10:25:41 AM »

no he is not

Why else would we keep dead wood like that at the club then?

markecky

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 10:53:35 AM »

no he is not

As far as I know he is on a contract.   He was part of the midfield suicide pact with Gareth "premiership" Whalley.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 10:59:41 AM »

When Sedgemore ambled up to take his penalty (with his socks inexplicably pulled down as if he had covered as much ground as Alan Ball did in the 1966 World Cup Final), you sensed that his underachieving career with Alty would continue with a miss.
Dismal.

To be fair to the Sedge, the one thing that has been en effective part of his Alty career has been penalties and set pieces so that did sum up the night somewhat.

I don't know with the Sedge, in some ways he is exactly what we need and again last night is a composed passer of the ball and yet, yet, somewhow he is always more moderate than moderate itself. When he doesn't play we are crying out for someone like him, when he does we look twice as bad.  ???

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 12:23:54 PM »

Totally agree with that Ballers and that is why I thought last summer that Chris Baguley would have been the better signing as he had a good passing range and was more mobile than Sedge. Unfortunately with Graham's "play safe" attitude that was never going to happen was it?!!

louise1925

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 12:39:58 PM »

Nic - there has never been a post I have agreed with more than that! For me, Chris Baguley was the perfect midfield player for our team. His passing was good, his tackling was good and he had a good finish on him. I had and still have absolutely no idea why GH didn't sign him up. Maybe the player didn't want to come to Alty, I don't know, but I really think we missed out there.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 12:50:17 PM »

Well exactly what we need - 120 minutes for many key players and  a demoralising loss.  The only positive I can see is that if this was a case of getting a crap match out of our system ahead of "we'll never play you again" Kidderminster...

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 12:54:30 PM »

To be honest I'd try and get Baguley back here in the summer whatever league we're in. We've been crying out for someone creative in midfield all season and I mean even after we had young King on loan as he was very much a ball winner like Robbie. The lack of someone who can create openings has been the main reason we've not won that many during the improved run of form.

le bignose

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »

To be honest I'd try and get Baguley back here in the summer whatever league we're in. We've been crying out for someone creative in midfield all season and I mean even after we had young King on loan as he was very much a ball winner like Robbie. The lack of someone who can create openings has been the main reason we've not won that many during the improved run of form.

For a few seasons Nic. We have good enough "grafting" midfielders with val, robbie, headless chicken Peyts, and Kingy coming in, but never someone with a bit of panache, a bit of composure on the ball who can create and cut chances out for us!! A massive miss in any team and GH should know this and try sort it out again. I agree with a previous Ecky post as well about Whalley ..... thought he was going to be this missing link!! Another one bites the dust. Where is he now anyone ?????

bighairedmike

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 02:42:35 PM »

He was at Accrington about a month back. Not sure if he is still there or not.

le bignose

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 02:46:40 PM »

shame he couldnt stay injury free and get a good run in the team really !! He looked class on the ball ......... saying that GH would have seen that to attacking and not a grafter so probably best he moved on rather than sit on the bench  ;)

bighairedmike

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 03:01:27 PM »

Think thats slightly harsh.

Whalley was a class act in my opinion, and in a different team, where people can work for him to make the openings he would have been a brilliant player at our level.

He wasn't the type of player alty needed at the time, and both him and sedge were to attacking. If we only had whalley instead of sedge (if the contracts were switched for example) and then we got liam king in in january, i think Whalley might have done a job for us. With king grafting and winning the ball for Whalley to produce these amazing passes.

So, GH thought he was doing the right thing by bringing him in, but it didnt pay off. Its one of those things that happens and nobody is to blame.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team