PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Women's FA Community Shield
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Women's FA Community Shield  (Read 4968 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Women's FA Community Shield
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 09:13:14 AM »

1-0 to the Arsenal.

Is the gap getting closer or something? Arsenal v whoever in the community shield is my once yearly banker when it comes to betting. I had a not inconsiderable amount of money on Arsenal at 8/15 last night and had a sqeuky bum for a little while.

Stockportalty

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »

As a female that was brought up watching football, and has always loved the game, and not just because it was men in shorts running around, I am saddened by the sexist comments. Maybe some of you should disregard which gender is playing and sit down and watch a ladies match before you make comment, you may be surprised by the skill and dedicaton you see. Arsenal ladies have been much more successful in the professional game than their male counterparts. There are ladies games in the Olympics, why not sit with a beer and watch one.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:02:19 AM by Stockportalty »

markecky

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 09:57:30 AM »

As a female that was brought up watching football, and has always loved the game, and not just because it was men in shorts running around, I am saddened by the sexist comments. Maybe some of you should disregard which gender is playing and sit down and watch a ladies match before you make comment.

Its only tongue in cheek.  I have watched a few ladies games and the standard was higher than I thought.

I'm just doing it to wind Phil up who is trying to be more popular with girls by saying that womens football is really really really  good.

Alty365

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 10:07:23 AM »

My post regarding "handbags for goalposts" was also strictly tongue-in-cheek.

I have watched very little women's football and whilst it is not without its merits it just doesn't really interest me. What I saw of last night's game was pretty bad, not because it was women who were playing, but as a spectacle it just wasn't very exciting. The venue didn't help much either.

thegazelle

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 10:07:52 AM »

i want to clear my name as well i was only joking and in no way meant to offend i thi nk it's that phil whose being the sneeky one he's lulling the ladies into a false sense of security by pretendin g  to be on their side once he has their confidence he will  then he will pounce.

Stockportalty

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 10:11:37 AM »

I could have carried on by saying that football wouldn't be where it is now without women in the game etc etc. but I am not really a feminist, just someone who will watch football whoever is playing.

Narcissist

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 11:11:39 AM »

As a female that was brought up watching football, and has always loved the game, and not just because it was men in shorts running around, I am saddened by the sexist comments. Maybe some of you should disregard which gender is playing and sit down and watch a ladies match before you make comment, you may be surprised by the skill and dedicaton you see. Arsenal ladies have been much more successful in the professional game than their male counterparts. There are ladies games in the Olympics, why not sit with a beer and watch one.

I agree here. It shouldnt be judged unless you have tried it. Football is generally mysogynystic, its often a mans escape from womankind. There's no real love for women in the game.

Taking this view into account I have tried to support womens football and watched plenty of games when covered by the media. Having watched I can say that I have no doubt that it is a growing section of the sport and a good thing.

However, I can also say that, at the moment its absolutely sh1t!

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 11:20:48 AM »

Well, Phil you asked for all those responses and you got them.

I was going to make another remark, but job well and truly done.

I've watched a bit of women's football and used to work with a woman who played for Leeds United Ladies. There is some degree of skill on show, but overall it just doesn't really cut it at the moment (for me). There are some obviously VERY skillful female players, but nearly all teams seem to have a good number of not very skillful players. Also it  lacks the cut and thrust, physical aspect of the game (having said that, the way some of the men in the professonal game roll about every time there's the merest hint of physical contact is truly shameful).

It's all a matter of taste.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Daycare Dan

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 12:47:14 PM »

I want to clarify my position too. I'm a pervert and will only watch womens football if they are topless or kissing each other when they "score"  ;D

Obviously the above is just a wind up.

Apart from the pervert bit.  8)

bighairedmike

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »

i am saddened by this sexist comment!

Daycare Dan

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 01:49:10 PM »

i am saddened by this sexist comment!

The country is on it's ear mate!

bighairedmike

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »

i bet she wears trousers and has a job too...oh wait...she's already said she isnt a feminist!!
 ;D

samba

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 05:47:08 PM »

Oooo some dodgy territory being covered here ;).

I'm also in the camp that had watched a few games, but I'm genuinely not interested.  It just doesn't have the same pace and skill that I think is found in the mens game.

Out of interest.. What do you think the score would be in an Alty (men) vs. Arsenal or England ladies?

Daycare Dan

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 08:32:44 PM »

Out of interest.. What do you think the score would be in an Alty (men) vs. Arsenal or England ladies?

A Conference team played England Ladies in a non contact game a few years ago. The conference side won 9-0. Can anybody remember which side it was? I think it was played in La Manga (spelling?) so my bet is on one of the ex-league sides.....
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Women's FA Community Shield