News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fascinating reading for a blank weekend O/T

Author Topic: Fascinating reading for a blank weekend O/T  (Read 2018 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: February 10, 2012, 08:25:20 PM »

It's amazing how quickly time passes, I remember some of these pubs and buildings like it was yesterday.Winding through hulme on the all night bus to Alty after a night in town, in the days when people only got a taxi to the airport! Some of our younger forum members will probably struggle to imagine that people lived like this not so long ago or even visualise where these buildings stood considering how different it looks now! A whole huge settlement pretty much wiped from the face of the earth,I cannot begin to imagine how moody moss side presinct would be now if it was still around!

http://www.exhulme.co.uk/index.php

Happy reading for those that are interested/bored!

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Fascinating reading for a blank weekend O/T
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 09:37:46 PM »

A great read that, I too recall that bus ride. My mum's family grew up in the previous Hulme, or Chorlton-on Medlock as called, going back to the very early 1800's when my x times great Grandad....not sure how many "greats" to include walked from near Ormskirk to find wealth and fortune in the City and for generations they lived in poverty, 6-8 to a room with a kid born every year, often to replace one that had died. My mum and late grandparents were still there until WW2 when they were bombed out and were rehoused eventually in Sharston. The world has changed so much hasn't it, humbling really.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

taxi Phil

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 09:59:49 PM »

Going back even further, I remember going into Town through Hulme on the old 102 bus route about 1953. All the old back-to-backs were still standing, and there was a boozer on nearly every corner.

In 1967, I went to a stag night at the old Luxor Club. I think it was run by the comedian Jackie Carlton who was very blue indeed. Hotpot included in the entrance fee, and some of the ugliest strippers I've ever seen (think Colin Peake in drag).

After the streets came down and the high rises went up, a few of the old pubs remained. I was very fond of The Albert on Erskine Street off Stretford Road, a traditional Irish boozer with a warm welcome, and butties made with the landlady's home-baked soda bread.

Seeing the Henry Royce reminds me of the landlord's alsatian which used to prowl the roof in the 70's. A particular vicious animal - you wouldn't try anything on in the Henry !

And The Mancunian. If you got burgled, you could buy it all back in there on a Sunday lunchtime !

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 02:05:44 PM »

I remember walking through the Crescents on Saturday evenings in 1986, there was always two of us, and my mate (also) Mick was a 25 year old light heavyweight boxer from Liverpool....he was as hard as they come, but even so we moved pretty swiftly and avoided everyone - it certainly had the hair standing up on the back of our necks until we 'crossed the border' that was Princess Parkway into relative safety and a pint in either the Ducie or the Salutation

One evening we could see a large group approaching and decided to head into the Henry Royce to take refuge............also had a drink in the Three Legs of Man once - believe it is still there
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:08:39 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

thegazelle

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 03:41:33 PM »

during the seventies i went on the bus almost  every day for several years to my posh Grammar school . only had trouble on 2 occasions,which included cross country through alexandra park (not my favourite subject) . getting stabbed for raping someones sister was a bit of a set up i thought

rick

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 07:15:52 PM »

.also had a drink in the Three Legs of Man once - believe it is still there

I plastered the ceilings in mens and womens toilets a couple of weeks ago so still defo there!!!

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 09:49:17 PM »

I remember going to an Irish Club in Hulme in the late 70's called the Ardri. I remember parking my car roadside and the bouncer advising we would have no problems with the locals. Now that club was very rough, or maybe it was me that was sober that night as I was driving.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team