PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 New signing
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New signing  (Read 8880 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: New signing
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 03:42:53 PM »

I think some posters questioned why 442 wasn't working earlier in the year. I mean, Jake and Simon are hardly poor midfielders are they? Perhaps all it needs is a couple of young, nippy wingers and a more mobile partner for Reevesy and we'll see 442 flourish? I think that's probably Lee's thinking. These new lads will hopefully give the opposition more to think about, thus taking pressure off our defenders. Trying to stay positive!

Totally agree - you can't say our central midfield and strike pairings aren't National standard. The extra wingers (and a bit more freshness up top) might HOPEFULLY do the trick.

I'm actually glad Lee hasn't signed a full-back; Jordan has done OK and we all know Lee would push him back into the midfield given the chance  ::)

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 04:16:54 PM »

This is what a Tranmere fan says about him;

As for Margetts, he's the infamous 'Trialist H' from pre-season, where he scored for fun. However, he's barely had a look in since then, playing and scoring 2 against Bromley being his only real contribution of note. He's a great finisher and just knows where to be but if he's not on it he contributes nothing else to the build up play. I wouldn't be surprised if he banged in 5+ league goals in his month spell and I wouldn't be surprised if he got none. He's just that type of player. I'd have liked him to get a chance with us, so take that how you will.

Sounds a bit like Damian then ;)

That is pretty much what the Stockport fans think of him too.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 04:20:28 PM »

I hope this lad is mustard or this is a completely pointless signing when we desperately need a centre mid and left back cover. This indicates we'll stick with 4-4-2, I would say we create more chances with 3 centre mid and two high wide players and one up top. With two up top we don't play our football. I hope to stand corrected but a third decent young, tough and energetic box to box centre mid is what we were crying out for. Let's see how it goes.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 04:25:34 PM »

Whilst I agree with the whole 442 hasn't worked thing, it is worth noting that we are the league's second lowest scorers (could become the lowest this weekend), whereas in terms of defence, we aren't even in the relegation zone. Perhaps signing 3 forward players on loan isn't as daft as it may first seem. I hope this signing, along with the other two, works out and we get the goals we need in the home games to stay ahead of Borehamwood.
Welcome to Alty Jonny.

Having two upfront doesn't mean more goals. You need to play the ball up the pitch. People have this perception that having two strikers means more goals but trust me that's not often the case.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 04:29:18 PM »

A solid centre mid ( in our case a 3 man centre mid) and two decent creative wide players ( like your Clee's ) gets you goals with a decent finisher.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 04:49:09 PM »

I think some posters questioned why 442 wasn't working earlier in the year. I mean, Jake and Simon are hardly poor midfielders are they? Perhaps all it needs is a couple of young, nippy wingers and a more mobile partner for Reevesy and we'll see 442 flourish? I think that's probably Lee's thinking. These new lads will hopefully give the opposition more to think about, thus taking pressure off our defenders. Trying to stay positive!

Totally agree - you can't say our central midfield and strike pairings aren't National standard. The extra wingers (and a bit more freshness up top) might HOPEFULLY do the trick.

I'm actually glad Lee hasn't signed a full-back; Jordan has done OK and we all know Lee would push him back into the midfield given the chance  ::)

The option to push him in midfield late on when others tire would be useful tiough.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 04:51:03 PM »

I'm glad people seem to think our defence is ok.

To be perfectly honest, I've given up expecting any clean sheets (was Boreham Wood the last?) and we have a few below par defenders. As such, any increased firepower is useful.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 04:55:33 PM »

A solid centre mid ( in our case a 3 man centre mid) and two decent creative wide players ( like your Clee's ) gets you goals with a decent finisher.

Absolutely spot on - and this is how I would have looked to recruit as well. I thought this is what Lee was heading towards when he brought the two wingers in, but obviously not.

I assume O'Keefe would drop out now - which I suppose might help in terms of keeping some fresh legs spare in the middle of the park.

eightiesrobin

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 04:57:34 PM »

There have been 3 (!) clean sheets in the league all season. 2 against Boreham Wood and the other against Barrow, who should have scored several that day. Actually, so should Boreham Wood at Moss Lane.

There were a further 2 clean sheets in the FA cup.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:00:30 PM by eightiesrobin »

eightiesrobin

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 05:00:02 PM »

Absolutely spot on - and this is how I would have looked to recruit as well. I thought this is what Lee was heading towards when he brought the two wingers in, but obviously not.

I assume O'Keefe would drop out now - which I suppose might help in terms of keeping some fresh legs spare in the middle of the park.

So that's Bowerman out, with possibly Reeves, O'Keefe, Lawrie and Crowther all benchwarming for the foreseeable? It's going to be a bit weird on Tuesday night....

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 05:07:06 PM »

So that's Bowerman out, with possibly Reeves, O'Keefe, Lawrie and Crowther all benchwarming for the foreseeable? It's going to be a bit weird on Tuesday night....

We've got options from the bench? Surely not!  :D

eightiesrobin

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2016, 05:08:24 PM »

I'm actually a little excited......

Jimmy

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2016, 05:50:44 PM »

I'm not

ripleym

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2016, 06:24:08 PM »