PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Will we strengthen?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Will we strengthen?  (Read 10920 times)

GB Alty

Re: Will we strengthen
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 12:03:50 PM »

As an Alty fan of now 44 years, I reckon LS's record now bears comparison to that of Roy Rees given the realities of Nat Lge football in 2015.

NB Roy Rees created the modern  Alty FC.

I think your getting a little carried away here JTH

See my post above for reality - big job on to keep us up this year!

brian1925

Re: Will we strengthen?
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 12:11:51 PM »

There is nothing wrong with running with an 18 man squad if that is all you can afford. However, in the event of a large number of injuries, there does have to be a plan B. We managed to get Parry in quick enough once it was clear that both Masha and Luca were going to be out earlier in the season. My worry is that, for whatever reason, the club don't seem to be doing that now. For example, how the hell can a Welsh based right winger end up at Guiseley rather than us, when we desperately need a right winger?

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 12:18:28 PM »

The rw who's gone to Guisley lives in huddersfield
Full time and proud of it

Jimmy

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 01:45:19 PM »

This is not Lee's fault - in fact within the constraints he operates he has had more hits than misses.  Nor would I argue is it the fault of the club - it is simply that we have outgrown the business model that has served us over the last few years.

Yes it is his fault, he likes to run with a small 18 man squad, and has said so many times in the press (until now)

Look where that has got us now!

Also starting the season with only 5 defenders was pure madness - naive at best, but more like clueless for me
i think an 18 man squad is ok but that means you have to use a loan market well but the 5 defenders is the main problem

Jimmy

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 01:48:46 PM »

on the subject of guiseley players Gavin rothray is in and out of side a very decent player I'd like at Alty

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 03:03:32 PM »

on the subject of guiseley players Gavin rothray is in and out of side a very decent player I'd like at Alty

Agreed, Rothery is a decent player but is he quite similar to Lawrie?

Jimmy

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 03:39:41 PM »

Faster more versatile than Lawrie

brian1925

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 03:42:31 PM »

Rothery is an excellent call, but why would Guiseley do business with a fellow relegation candidate?

Jimmy

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 03:44:54 PM »

Every chance they won't my statement was based on him being in and out of the side at the moment besides they will definitely  not go down and we probably won't
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 03:55:19 PM by Jimmy »

York Alty

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 05:14:32 PM »

Guiseley will not be relegated. No way.

GB Alty

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2015, 10:13:57 PM »

Guiseley will not be relegated. No way.
i dont think they will but they defo candidates, the whole bottom third are candidates.

Kiddy, Halifax gone already. The other 2 spots up for grabs, prob between us Boreham, Torquay and Southport. But I would say clubs like Welling, Guiseley and possibly Barrow could come into it as well

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Will we strengthen
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 11:08:27 PM »

As an Alty fan of now 44 years, I reckon LS's record now bears comparison to that of Roy Rees given the realities of Nat Lge football in 2015.

NB Roy Rees created the modern  Alty FC.

I think your getting a little carried away here JTH

See my post above for reality - big job on to keep us up this year!

Sorry Ham, I'm not getting carried away, just attempting to put our current position in context. We are one of the top half dozen genuine semi pro sides in the country. Exactly the same as Roy Rees delivered. The difference being in the 70s we didn't compete in a near professional league, were fortunate to be a relatively wealthy club and didn't have a transfer window to hamper strengthening.

Jimmy

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2015, 07:19:02 AM »

We are 19th in the Leauge at a guess that is about par with the wage bill so a good job but not great

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2015, 08:38:49 AM »

We need to change our model.  What worked in the Conference North in terms of player recruitment is no longer fit for purpose.

And having to rely on a gamble on a player changing status from FT to PT is simply too risky.

We have to identify the best part time players who would fit into our system and go after them, paying a transfer fee if necessary.

You might argue that this is too expensive, but signing a proven PT defensive midfielder for example would perhaps have been cost neutral compared to Griffiths.  And his case, whilst having some special characteristics is nonetheless something that could easily happen again in terms of a player failing the transition.

This is not Lee's fault - in fact within the constraints he operates he has had more hits than misses.  Nor would I argue is it the fault of the club - it is simply that we have outgrown the business model that has served us over the last few years.

If you are talking about changing the business model, going for the best part time players, paying transfer fees etc., then the whole thing depends on the spending ethos of the club.  To be fair, we pretty much spend what we have as it is. So - FA Cup and Watmore spin offs aside (neither of which are assured) - where does this extra money come from?

brian1925

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2015, 10:53:22 AM »

Any other club at our level (even below) would have dipped into the loan market if a significant portion of their first team squad was unavailable. If our business plan is to go with 12/13 players every match, then it sucks and I don't share the confidence others have that we will stay up (which means our revenue will decline in Conference North.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Will we strengthen?